Anyone here started Martial Arts later in life ?

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here started later in life and can offer some wisdom ....

Started about two months ago, fortunately I had spent a few years getting back in some basic physical shape before trying this - as the conditioning parts at the beginning of some our sessions can be fairly demanding.

I started TKD when I was almost 40 years old and just turned 45 a month ago - and, all goes well - I should be testing for 2nd Degree Black Belt in April 2015.. While you don't mention how old you are, I can only guess - like many of us - that life has gotten in the way a little bit.. :) The good news is that you've already taken the hardest step - the first one onto the training floor. As several have mentioned, do the best YOU can do - the martial arts is not a race, it's a journey and an amazing one at that!! Warm-ups should be just that, an opportunity to get your blood flowing,your heart pumping and your muscles loose so when you start kicking and punching (fit the action to your art) that you're focused and ready to go.. No matter how far you can push yourself each day, go for a little more each time after..one of my primary goals each practice is to do 1% better than I did the time before..Spoiler alert: my balance is less than great, I have a bad knee that's always in a brace.. BUT, I can send my roundhouse kick over the head of a 2nd Dan that stands 6'2 inches tall (I am 5'8")and I will never ever quit!! Bottom line - Nothing that's worth Anything is easy!! Do the best YOU can do, do NOT let others actions or accomplishments take anything away from what you have accomplished for your goals, set goals for yourself and be proud knowing that every step you take is another step forward - ENJOY the journey - it only gets better!!!! :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JKD/Kali at 43. This I count as my start of the journey in MA. I have never counted Boxing as a MA, just a core system. I am also woefully unfit due to drinking too much alcohol and smoking too much weed over the past ten years or so. Dropped nearly two stone since Feb or March, there abouts, and making headway. Joined a gym which I absolutely love now and am enjoying being able to think and breathe. My only vice is my Vaporiser for the nicotine. It can be done man, just have fun about it and just laugh if you make a mistake. Good luck :thup:

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started TKD when I was almost 40 years old and just turned 45 a month ago - and, all goes well - I should be testing for 2nd Degree Black Belt in April 2015.. While you don't mention how old you are, I can only guess - like many of us - that life has gotten in the way a little bit.. :) The good news is that you've already taken the hardest step - the first one onto the training floor. As several have mentioned, do the best YOU can do - the martial arts is not a race, it's a journey and an amazing one at that!! Warm-ups should be just that, an opportunity to get your blood flowing,your heart pumping and your muscles loose so when you start kicking and punching (fit the action to your art) that you're focused and ready to go.. No matter how far you can push yourself each day, go for a little more each time after..one of my primary goals each practice is to do 1% better than I did the time before..Spoiler alert: my balance is less than great, I have a bad knee that's always in a brace.. BUT, I can send my roundhouse kick over the head of a 2nd Dan that stands 6'2 inches tall (I am 5'8")and I will never ever quit!! Bottom line - Nothing that's worth Anything is easy!! Do the best YOU can do, do NOT let others actions or accomplishments take anything away from what you have accomplished for your goals, set goals for yourself and be proud knowing that every step you take is another step forward - ENJOY the journey - it only gets better!!!! :)

Thanks

Second degree Black Belt in about 6 years? and starting at 40? that's impressive. How often did you go and did you also practice at home?

I am 49. I wanted to start years earlier but I was in poor physical condition. Several years of weights and then stronglifts 5x5, some slow flow yoga, and a little lite jogging has helped me accommodated starting JDKC well for my age.

I am able to fit 2-3 visits a week to the dojo, and I have set up areas for practicing at home as well.

First mistake was not listening to Sifu about how I was throwing my hooks and not moving my body/feet turn (hinge) - and being too tense and hard in my punch...my shoulder is hurting - but he told me :) So slower and with form from now on.

Funny about my daughter starting now - I suspect she will get her yellow belt first :)

I have occasionally taken a pause during conditioning start ups to catch my breath, and Sifu asks if I am ok, I just smile and he says something about the 20 year olds around me and smiles back - he is my age.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks

Second degree Black Belt in about 6 years? and starting at 40? that's impressive. How often did you go and did you also practice at home?

I am 49. I wanted to start years earlier but I was in poor physical condition. Several years of weights and then stronglifts 5x5, some slow flow yoga, and a little lite jogging has helped me accommodated starting JDKC well for my age.

I am able to fit 2-3 visits a week to the dojo, and I have set up areas for practicing at home as well.

First mistake was not listening to Sifu about how I was throwing my hooks and not moving my body/feet turn (hinge) - and being too tense and hard in my punch...my shoulder is hurting - but he told me :) So slower and with form from now on.

Funny about my daughter starting now - I suspect she will get her yellow belt first :)

I have occasionally taken a pause during conditioning start ups to catch my breath, and Sifu asks if I am ok, I just smile and he says something about the 20 year olds around me and smiles back - he is my age.

I train 5 - 6 days a week and usually 2 practices per day; no short cuts - just a lot of hard work..I go to the gym on the weekends for strength training which helps my knee and practice my forms there and at home..sounds like you've taken good steps to keep in step with your class..Just remember, NEVER give up!! Good for you and your daughter taking this journey together!! btw - if I catch someone half my age doing something I struggle with, I just smile and say 'show-off!' :)

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Started kempo 5 years ago at the age of 40....hope to test for black next fall

Started training BJJ ~2years ago....

kempo is is my main focus...

i i too train 4-5 days a week....

sebenza

White Belt
Reaction score
yep just started , im a bit late too , but better than never i got physically fitter and stronger too last few years and it progressed into looking into martial arts .

i hurt my back 4 years ago (whilst getting back to fitness ) and its was quite bad and i was i worried it would affect me but ive been practicing basic kicks punches for just 3/4 weeks now , and really working my kicks and stretches trying to gain kicking height and to my surprise my back has actually improved , from pain most of the day to just slight pain twangs on and off now id say an 80% improvement which is a completely unexpected bonus .

anyway good luck with training .

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Started doing HEMA (German longsword) at 31. Added koryu bujutsu at oh, 37? Added Judo in February at the ripe old age of 41.

My advice? Conditioning is everything. Otherwise you don't have the gas tank to train. Also, get plenty of rest (don't skimp on sleep), eat healthy and trust the process. You'll get it eventually if you keep at it. Not giving up is the key. People say "Do you know how old I'll be by the time I get good at XYZ?" The answer: the same age you'll be if you don't. The only real opponent you have is yourself. Don't listen to the negative voices in your head. They're lying to you.

-Mark

cqbspartan

White Belt
Reaction score
Have been in many arts for many years...Can try to help...What is the main issue for you here?? if you are doing some kind of hard style and it is too demanding for your body at your age, there are quite a few arts out there that are not so demanding on the body...Filipino arts, Indonesian arts, Wing Chun for example...these are a blend of hard and soft but aren't necessarily brutal when it comes to conditioning...and an art doesn't have to be physically tough and demanding in training to still be effective in the street...most hard styles are pretty big on the conditioning aspect because it has been handed down that way through the years and it is good for the body...What city are you in ...maybe we can suggest someone??

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Have been in many arts for many years...Can try to help...What is the main issue for you here?? if you are doing some kind of hard style and it is too demanding for your body at your age, there are quite a few arts out there that are not so demanding on the body...Filipino arts, Indonesian arts, Wing Chun for example...these are a blend of hard and soft but aren't necessarily brutal when it comes to conditioning...and an art doesn't have to be physically tough and demanding in training to still be effective in the street...most hard styles are pretty big on the conditioning aspect because it has been handed down that way through the years and it is good for the body...What city are you in ...maybe we can suggest someone??

Thanks. I think for me, it was a bit of a leap of determination. I did need to get some reasonable shape first for my age, but its sometimes its just a challenge to look around and see students from 17-30 with me and feel a bit out of my element. I often take a 30 second break between sets to catch my breath and towel off some sweat and the kids are barley breathing. Some instructors are harder on the beginning physical conditioning part of class then others - depends on the night and the instructor.

Minor back, and now ankle issues crop up which I need to work on managing and keeping under control all the time. Yoga and weight training are part of my routine when not at class.

As some wise members mentioned, stop comparing or looking at the 20 year old and trying to keep up and focus on my progress. I benefit from being able to afford (thanks to my age) to have a home gym that now has a MA training gear. I also try to spend time "training" my mind with books, videos, language, and history of my chosen Martial Arts.

Along this line of mental learning (like this site) I came across a video by my Sifu's Sifu, he came to my school and was very patient an supportive on a series of escrima moves I was struggling with during his seminar. I said something about being new to this and bit old and he just smiled and said "you can do this" showed me slowly - and I got it. He is about my age and had something to say about age and Martial arts. Train smart...and think of tomorrow.

Sifu Ron Balicki talks about "aging" in martial arts training - YouTube

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think for me, it was a bit of a leap of determination. I did need to get some reasonable shape first for my age, but its sometimes its just a challenge to look around and see students from 17-30 with me and feel a bit out of my element. I often take a 30 second break between sets to catch my breath and towel off some sweat and the kids are barley breathing. Some instructors are harder on the beginning physical conditioning part of class then others - depends on the night and the instructor.

Minor back, and now ankle issues crop up which I need to work on managing and keeping under control all the time. Yoga and weight training are part of my routine when not at class.

As some wise members mentioned, stop comparing or looking at the 20 year old and trying to keep up and focus on my progress. I benefit from being able to afford (thanks to my age) to have a home gym that now has a MA training gear. I also try to spend time "training" my mind with books, videos, language, and history of my chosen Martial Arts.

Along this line of mental learning (like this site) I came across a video by my Sifu's Sifu, he came to my school and was very patient an supportive on a series of escrima moves I was struggling with during his seminar. I said something about being new to this and bit old and he just smiled and said "you can do this" showed me slowly - and I got it. He is about my age and had something to say about age and Martial arts. Train smart...and think of tomorrow.

Sifu Ron Balicki talks about "aging" in martial arts training - YouTube

Can I ask fella, what flavour of Yoga do you practice, and what are the core benefits. Sorry peeps OFT, but just really curious.

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Can I ask fella, what flavour of Yoga do you practice, and what are the core benefits. Sorry peeps OFT, but just really curious.

Not really off topic, older guys need to keep flexible. No real style exactly - I started yoga to work on my back issues. I do yoga at home (no time for classes). So I went to Google and then amazon to purchase a bunch of DVD's or online videos that help with lower back and general beginner needs.

This is the DVD set I used most often - described as slow flow or soft yoga and has many routines.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Beyond-Stress-Essential-Inflexible/dp/B001HAO8NM/ref=pd_cp_mov_1

I do this soft slow yoga in the mornings before my night time or late morning JKD class.

I have also purchased 1) online video by Rondey Yee for back care, 2) DVD Cameron Shayne - Budokon for Beginners and 3) "Introducing Yoga for Martial Arts" by grapplearts

The last one was the most demanding one - 60 mins and intermediate in nature. A bit much for me. See link below for a video summary of #3.

Why Martial Artists Should Do Yoga - YouTube

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I restarted late in life, kinda. I started TKD in 1966 at age 17. Trained for a couple of years, then sat on my butt for nearly 20. Got back into it in 1987, been with it ever since.

Our big dog in the age area is Dr. Harland Van Over, who started TKD in his 60s and is still going strong as a 5th Degree at age 90-something. I hope I look half as good as he does when I hit that age.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to study martial arts as a kid but couldn't. Fast forward years later and at 30 years old with absolutely no martial arts experience under my belt at all - I started practicing Wing Chun / Wing Tsun. Many of my fellow students are older, and many are younger than myself; it is quite a range. I have to have patience with myself and with the art since many things don't come as easily and naturally starting from scratch. I tell myself I am in it for the long haul, and it will be an skillset I can still practice when I am older. Even as a very junior student (under 1 year, couples hours a week max) I already have gained spatial awareness and basic ability to defend myself I otherwise would not have had I not invested the time and effort.
To contrast, I started my nearly 10 year old son in a YMCA Karate class where he has learned his yellow belt thus far. I realize now how important it is to do things at an early age if possible that teach discipline and command of your body / limbs / movements.

Latest Discussions