Anyone heard of GM Adrian Roman?

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He does offer his course on sale and also options to pay for testing fees but does not give away black belts.

We didn't say he gave them away. We said he sold them. When you send out the black belt certificate in the first mailing post-dated a year, that's what it's called.

When did you buy yours?

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We didn't say he gave them away. We said he sold them. When you send out the black belt certificate in the first mailing post-dated a year, that's what it's called.

When did you buy yours?

:lfao::lfao::lfao::lfao::lfao:

ghostface

White Belt
Reaction score
Master Adrian Roman is not just a great kenpo instructor,but one of the fewto receive his black belt from Master Ed Parker. Any one who knows anything about martial arts knows that was no easy task.Whether you agree with him promoting the apak system through distance learning is a whole other issue.It is an honor to have trained with this Master and he indeed is a man of great wisdom. I also will go as far as to say that if there was someone alive today, who was trained by Ed Parker and is carrying the American Kenpo banner-it would definetly be Master Adrian Roman. He has alsi been the trainer of many well accomplished teachers like Sifu Lazaro Bueno in Miami,fl. who teaches JKD. Adrian Roman has developed a system of fighting called Falamichi which is incredible to say the least. Please take the time to meet him andgo to one of his seminars then make your decisions.I hope i am still as active as him ahen i reach his age.Pass by his school in Texas if your ever in the area for a free class.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, ghostface, thanks for giving us your impressions of Roman.
Cool sounding name of that martial art Falamich. Whatever that means. Does he sell
rank in that the same way he does Kenpo?
One thing I'm pretty sure of is that he didn't mail order his belt from Parker, so I'm not sure why
he would think it was a good idea. Besides money.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also will go as far as to say that if there was someone alive today, who was trained by Ed Parker and is carrying the American Kenpo banner-it would definetly be Master Adrian Roman.

Cool, I will be sure to let Mr. Sepulveda, Mr. Tatum, Mr. Trejo, Mr. Planas, Mr. Sullivan, and any of the other seniors that they can't stand in comparison to Adrian Roman.:barf:

As I will see Mr. Sepulveda and Mr. Tatum later in 2011, I will make sure to pass your sentiments along.

This is for the selling of rank. :bird:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Master Adrian Roman is not just a great kenpo instructor,but one of the fewto receive his black belt from Master Ed Parker. Any one who knows anything about martial arts knows that was no easy task.

I also will go as far as to say that if there was someone alive today, who was trained by Ed Parker and is carrying the American Kenpo banner-it would definetly be Master Adrian Roman.

This topic is really none of my business and I don't really care one way or the other about Mr. Roman, having never met him and feeling doubtful that I ever will...

However, I'll just point out that a lot of people like to claim that they "trained" with Mr. Parker. I don't know the specifics of Mr. Roman's relationship with Mr. Parker. But I will say that I think a lot of people who claim to have trained with Mr. Parker actually did so thru the venue of seminars, and an occasional lesson here and there. Meaning: they really had a very superficial relationship with the man, without a deep and strong teacher-student relationship. My impression is that not very many people can really claim to have been a direct student of Mr. Parker, at least not in a meaningful and traditional way. I think that after a certain date he really had very few people who he taught directly and consistently and deeply, conducting most of his interactions with students thru the seminar venue. I've heard that he sat on testing boards and signed off on black belt promotions all over the place, overseeing testing of masses of students who were not HIS students. So a lot of people have a black belt certificate with Mr. Parker's signature on it.

Everyone wants to claim that the famous teacher was THEIR teacher. The real test is, would that famous teacher claim THEM as his student?

Again, I don't know where Mr. Roman fits into this picture, but I think these are important issues to keep in mind.

He has alsi been the trainer of many well accomplished teachers like Sifu Lazaro Bueno in Miami,fl. who teaches JKD.

could you explain why Mr. Bueno teaches JKD, and (presumably) not kenpo? Or does he teach kenpo as well? It just seems to me that if his instruction under Mr. Roman was of the highest caliber, then he would be teaching kenpo instead.

Adrian Roman has developed a system of fighting called Falamichi which is incredible to say the least.

could you give a description of what this is? I'm curious.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Adrian Roman is not just a great kenpo instructor,but one of the fewto receive his black belt from Master Ed Parker. Any one who knows anything about martial arts knows that was no easy task.Whether you agree with him promoting the apak system through distance learning is a whole other issue.It is an honor to have trained with this Master and he indeed is a man of great wisdom. I also will go as far as to say that if there was someone alive today, who was trained by Ed Parker and is carrying the American Kenpo banner-it would definetly be Master Adrian Roman. He has alsi been the trainer of many well accomplished teachers like Sifu Lazaro Bueno in Miami,fl. who teaches JKD. Adrian Roman has developed a system of fighting called Falamichi which is incredible to say the least. Please take the time to meet him andgo to one of his seminars then make your decisions.I hope i am still as active as him ahen i reach his age.Pass by his school in Texas if your ever in the area for a free class.

Well sir, while I recognize this as your first and only post under this avatar, I wonder how you arrive at your "impression" of Roman's Kenpo and what your expertise is on the subject, and I tend to be a tad cynical in your endorsement. Either way, I find all so-called "distance learning" video ranking as an inappropriate way to learn any branch of Ed Parker material in particular, and any legitimate martial art at all in general.

Further While I cannot definitively say Roman did or did not receive his black belt from Mr. Parker, I can say definitively that if he did, it was within no more than 9 years of Mr. Parker's death as evidenced by the fact he is not represented on the Family Tree published by Mr. Parker in the first volume insert of "Infinite Insights."

Now of those 9 years, I can also say definitively that he was not a regular student in Southern California at Mr. Parker's residence, therefore if he received his black belt, it was while he was "training" somewhere else outside of Mr. Parker's presence, as his home was the only place he gave regular instruction to anyone during that time period. Of these few, I am aware of who they were, and Roman was definitely not one of them. However, It was not unusual for Mr. Parker to do "co-promotions" with a persons instructor from all of the affiliate schools, and he did so even with local schools. But, Mr. Parker always signed on the "IKKA President Line," not the "Instructor Line." Anyone not on the tree, and who didn't live in Southern Cal therefore has a very small window to make claims of being a direct student of Ed Parker, and indeed even those in Southern Cal would have difficulty making such a claim, as most are students of students who have jumped the lineage branch, claiming Mr. Parker and ignoring their actual instructor.

Now that being said, where did you get your rank and expertise to support your opinion? While everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion in an open forum, I would hope that any endorsement would include some measure of background by which we in a Kenpo Forum would be able to assess the validity and weight of such endorsement against our own credentials, expertise, and opinions.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Yes, I have heard of Adrian "Chief" Roman...

He sells Kenpo black belt distance learning programs for $995. Even includes the certificate with your initial order. It is on the "honor" system, that you will study and learn the material.

Interesting??? Wonder how many he has sold?

I do know that his son is very opinionated, and does comment on Kenpo "Youtube" videos. Is usually very uncomplementary to stuff other then his fathers... :)

Oh well... You have to make a living some how...

Thank you,
Milt G.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As this little tidbit concerns Roman I am posting this link. I got this from my Kenpo Brother and we both find it to be sickening and hilarious at the same time.

http://www.nativekenpo.com/chief adrian roman unique belt.htm

Apparently Mr. Roman is setting a new standard for rank in any martial art.

ummm.....

I did notice though that he now also claims a GM and 10th degree in Hawaiian Kosho Ryu Kenpo Jujitsu, who/where did he train for that? And what is "Native Kenpo"?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
ummm.....

I did notice though that he now also claims a GM and 10th degree in Hawaiian Kosho Ryu Kenpo Jujitsu, who/where did he train for that?

Got me on that one. I am guessing he decided one day that he want rank in it and did up his own paperwork.

And what is "Native Kenpo"?

Got me on that one also. His version, maybe?

I am just glad I am not one of his students.

Latest Discussions