Anyone heard of GM Adrian Roman?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kwiter said:
Adrian Roman is in the Black Belt Hall of Fame and high ranked in Ed Parkers American Kenpo, he also has his own system where he's SUPER High Ranked.

I have not met Mr. Roman so I cannot comment about his skills. For my part, if he claims to be highly skilled I am willing to accept that and not argue the point until I meet him and get a chance to judge for myself.

However, lots of people hold high rank in Mr. Parker's kenpo. Many of them obtained the rank thru dubious means such as self-promoting, or creating an organization with like-minded friends of equal rank who then promote each other. I am sure DOC could elaborate much more fully about unfortunate reality.

When you have your own system that you created, you can give yourself whatever rank you wish. But it really doesn't mean anything at all. There are no legitimate, disinterested third-party ranking boards to bestow this kind of rank on someone. Literally, he just gave himself whatever rank he wanted and nobody can verify, support, or argue with that. In my opinion, that makes it extremely suspect and makes someone look like a con artist and a fool.

Personally, I tend to stay away from the high ranking people and those who like to use fancy titles like Grandmaster or Great Grandmaster, or Senior Grandmaster, or Senior Professor, etc. While they may have some high level skills, I think the high rank and fancy titles indicate an ego issue that I am not interested in getting into the middle of.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My teacher does know him, being from the same area of Texas. He is not thought highly of by many.

Please note, I seldom, if ever, speak badly of people. In this particular case I am trying to make certain no one gets taken advantage of.

-Michael

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mjdeslon said:
Quite simply put stay away from this man's program. He is the biggest "McDojo" I have ever came across. I actually bought his "DVD" set, which is a collection of home made VHS tapes encoded to DVD, very poor. Go with Mohammad Tabatthi (spelling) or Larry Tatum for good quality Kenpo Material. You can get both of these through century for $10/dvd.

Michael Deslongchamps
http://warriorscholar.madpage.com

Good advice about the Century DVD's and WELCOME TO MARTIAL TALK! I hope you'll continue posting here.

Personally, I would pass on Mr. Romans programs or anything else to do with his organization. Just my personal opinion.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Would I bet my life on it.........does anyone read what others write before they hit reply?
I said that I bought this as an aid for my daughters who train at a local dojo, some might call it a McDojo as it's a Franchise.

I'd say this is a case of semantics, buy the system and you become a BB,
thats utter nonsense just like thinking that going to a School you'll automatically become a BB after some arbitrary length of time.

Back to the bet my life on it, I wouldn't bet my life on ANY MA training , seen too many folks who were training at Brick and Mortar schools get turned into bloody messes, I myself in my younger days have turned a few Martial Artists into bloody messes, of course I don't believe for a mement I'm invinceable just that not every person training in MA wether at a school or via Video or over the Internet will actually be able to use it when the time comes, same with alot of folks who own firearms.

Seems like they get the Deer in the headlights syndrome and freeze.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I have not met Mr. Roman so I cannot comment about his skills. For my part, if he claims to be highly skilled I am willing to accept that and not argue the point until I meet him and get a chance to judge for myself.

However, lots of people hold high rank in Mr. Parker's kenpo. Many of them obtained the rank thru dubious means such as self-promoting, or creating an organization with like-minded friends of equal rank who then promote each other. I am sure DOC could elaborate much more fully about unfortunate reality.

When you have your own system that you created, you can give yourself whatever rank you wish. But it really doesn't mean anything at all. There are no legitimate, disinterested third-party ranking boards to bestow this kind of rank on someone. Literally, he just gave himself whatever rank he wanted and nobody can verify, support, or argue with that. In my opinion, that makes it extremely suspect and makes someone look like a con artist and a fool.

Personally, I tend to stay away from the high ranking people and those who like to use fancy titles like Grandmaster or Great Grandmaster, or Senior Grandmaster, or Senior Professor, etc. While they may have some high level skills, I think the high rank and fancy titles indicate an ego issue that I am not interested in getting into the middle of.
I don't know him and therefore have no idea where his skill, if any comes from, or if it even exists. I can however comment on the selling of belts and rank. It has scam wrtiiten all over it, and I tend to stay away from anyone ranked higher than me - if you get my drift. :)

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After googling gm Adrain Roman, I found this near the bottom of his home page and I believe it speaks for itself.

The program are listed below and they include the teaching certificate when you order.
7th degree (Warrior) Diploma and school franchise is available $28,000.
5th degree Diploma with school consideration is $15,000.
3rd degree Diploma with club membership is $6,000.
1st degree Diploma for individual membership is $2,800.
All program includes DVD or VHS tapes, manuals, black belt and certification and some personal instruction. To order by U.S. Postal money order cashier check to Adrian Roman 3434 Briaroaks Drive, Garland, TX 75044 or call to process your order by Master Card or Visa or e-mail your card information.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For more on this topic do an MT search for 29th Degree..

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doc said:
I don't know him and therefore have no idea where his skill, if any comes from, or if it even exists. I can however comment on the selling of belts and rank. It has scam wrtiiten all over it, and I tend to stay away from anyone ranked higher than me - if you get my drift. :)

Hi Doc,

I didn't mean to imply that you knew Mr. Roman, or knew how he received whatever Kenpo rank he might claim. Just figured you'd have a good sense of the self-promoting that goes on in general, that's all.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kwiter said:
Adrian Roman is in the Black Belt Hall of Fame and high ranked in Ed Parkers American Kenpo, he also has his own system where he's SUPER High Ranked.

Adrian Roman is constantly in Black Belt Magazine with an ad that says you can receive your black belt TODAY!

How can his American Kenpo teaching and skills be taken seriously???

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I absolutely believe that you would be better off buying an old late-1950's judo book (price, $9.95) and working the stuff you read on a tree trunk (price, free...provided by nature), then purchasing yourself a black belt (price, $20.00 & up, depending on manufacturer & quality) then you would be to waste your cash on Adrian Roman's stuff.

You would be better prepared to fight based on the tree trunk than you would by Romans material; you would possess about as deep an understanding of the martial arts (perhaps even more from the tree trunk), and will have kept the vast majority of your cash in your wallet.

A trade: Blood, for skill. No blood, no skill. Roman's stuff is the epitome of how and why so many martial artists out there can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag with a buck knife.

Regards,

Dave

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Hi Doc,

I didn't mean to imply that you knew Mr. Roman, or knew how he received whatever Kenpo rank he might claim. Just figured you'd have a good sense of the self-promoting that goes on in general, that's all.
I know, don't sweat it. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I absolutely believe that you would be better off buying an old late-1950's judo book (price, $9.95) and working the stuff you read on a tree trunk (price, free...provided by nature), then purchasing yourself a black belt (price, $20.00 & up, depending on manufacturer & quality) then you would be to waste your cash on Adrian Roman's stuff.

You would be better prepared to fight based on the tree trunk than you would by Romans material; you would possess about as deep an understanding of the martial arts (perhaps even more from the tree trunk), and will have kept the vast majority of your cash in your wallet.

A trade: Blood, for skill. No blood, no skill. Roman's stuff is the epitome of how and why so many martial artists out there can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag with a buck knife.

Regards,

Dave

Just curious to know if you have seen his videos.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
From what I've seen, there are better available for less money.

Jeff

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pardon, yes he is in A BB Hall of Fame not THE, I'm pretty sure it's Black Belt Magazine Hall of Fame and again I say I'm not so naive to think that it may be due to his advertising revenues but may not be.

I have to agree with the post about buying the Franchise and opening a school wether you learned anything or not. I'm not insane after all ;-)
Granted might find someone doing just that but doubt they'd last long in business.

After I view the videos I will post my thoughts, I'm optimistic that they are not useless pieces of plastic not sure if you could learn enough to really be considered a BB and as ever I won't be pulling my girls from their school even if I think they are the best things since sliced bread ;-)

If I find them to be crap the CD with the manuals sells on Arnis site for about 60% of what I'm paying for the whole kit and kaboodle at $89 so it's not a tragedy. The forms video I already have is fine IMO so say $10 for that so I'm only out a few $$$ really.

the ebay auction prices are reasonable those on the website I'd never consider paying espescially when places like Century Fitness have similar Videos for $9.99 each.

Skennen Peace

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:

Parts. I was too embarrassed for his 2 red bars to continue watching. Unlike others who have good skills/bad videos, Mr. Roman's history and motion decry little to no value. Looks like he learned from someone elses video, then kinda forgot the techniques, and is trying to remember them as he goes along.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]To hear is to doubt, to see is to be deceived, but to feel is to believe.

and

[/SIZE]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]One becomes great when he comes to the realization that what he knows is very little.

I am not a big proponent of The Chief. I understand he is a bona fide EP Black Belt, but his rank, marketing, and ethics are all questionable regardless of what you read on his web site.

-Michael
[/SIZE]
[/FONT]

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]To hear is to doubt, to see is to be deceived, but to feel is to believe.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]

and

[/SIZE]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]One becomes great when he comes to the realization that what he knows is very little.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]

I am not a big proponent of The Chief. I understand he is a bona fide EP Black Belt, but his rank, marketing, and ethics are all questionable regardless of what you read on his web site.

-Michael
[/SIZE]
[/FONT]

I would say this is big, considering I regard Mr. Billings as one of those gentlemen who wouldn't say "dooky" if he had a mouthful.

Latest Discussions