Any tea drinkers here?

Trimis

White Belt
Reaction score
After reading up on the health benefit of tea, I have started drinking a cup a day. Not a fan of the taste (prefer my Kona coffee), but I have found that Silver Needle White Tea has a lot less objectionable taste than the other kinds of tea, so I have settled on that. My question is how many times can the loose tea leaves be reused/rebrewed before the medicinal component is exhausted? So far I have reused the leaves four times with no loss in taste, but then I'm not drinking it for the taste.

My method of brewing (in case that is important) is to bring a cup of water to a boil, remove from heat, let cool down four minutes, add the tea leaves, let steep five minutes, then strain.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
After reading up on the health benefit of tea, I have started drinking a cup a day. Not a fan of the taste (prefer my Kona coffee), but I have found that Silver Needle White Tea has a lot less objectionable taste than the other kinds of tea, so I have settled on that. My question is how many times can the loose tea leaves be reused/rebrewed before the medicinal component is exhausted? So far I have reused the leaves four times with no loss in taste, but then I'm not drinking it for the taste.

My method of brewing (in case that is important) is to bring a cup of water to a boil, remove from heat, let cool down four minutes, add the tea leaves, let steep five minutes, then strain.
I like tea. I drink coffee in the mornings, tea in the afternoons, and beer in the evenings, and gin at night. :D

Seriously, I do generally drink tea in the afternoons. I like Earl Grey, Lord Bergamot, and Jasmine pearl tea the best, though I also enjoy some herbals in the evening. This is my favorite caffeine free: https://www.amazon.com/Paromi-Organ...la-569971652321&ref=&adgrpid=61925956757&th=1

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I drink several different teas: Earl Grey, Jasmine, Green Tea plain or w/ginger, Chamomile & Black Tea. I'm no authority, but I reason that the leaching rate (and thus brew time) for each would be slightly different. My guess would be that after the first brew, a second brew would be OK if you let it steep for 50% more time than the first. After that, it seems like there would be diminished taste and effect. I understand being thrifty, but reusing tea leaves 4 times may be overdoing it. But not being a tea expert, I could be completely wrong and wasting my tea.

I also like coffee in the morning and tea in the evening.

It must be a slow martial art day if we're discussing tea! :D

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The proper way to make tea is to

- Put tea into cup (or tea pot).
- Pour hot water into it.
- Throw the water out (wash tea).
- Pour water into tea cup (or tea pot). Drink after 30 seconds.

2 different tea that I recommend.

1. Dragon Well

2020 Dragon Well 1st Flush (Very Limited)

2. Pouchong

Superfine Pouchong (Limited)

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The type of tea you want depends on the hour you're in.

Matcha is good most of the time, unless you need some caffeine. In that case I recommend Pu-Erh (普洱茶).

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just come to Poland. We drink a lot of tea:

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the taste of the rooibos teas and their effect on blood sugar is phenomenal. I also like chai and green tea for antioxidants.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
beer in the evenings
I've cut back on the beer ...haha only tea I drink is black tea British style. My wife drinks all these different teas. Detox teas. Don't ask me what though. Swears by them

OP
T

Trimis

White Belt
Reaction score
I drink several different teas: Earl Grey, Jasmine, Green Tea plain or w/ginger, Chamomile & Black Tea. I'm no authority, but I reason that the leaching rate (and thus brew time) for each would be slightly different. My guess would be that after the first brew, a second brew would be OK if you let it steep for 50% more time than the first. After that, it seems like there would be diminished taste and effect. I understand being thrifty, but reusing tea leaves 4 times may be overdoing it. But not being a tea expert, I could be completely wrong and wasting my tea.

I also like coffee in the morning and tea in the evening.

It must be a slow martial art day if we're discussing tea! :D

I cannot tell any difference in the taste between the first brew and the fourth, but as said, I'm definitely not drinking it for the taste. Although white tea is not as bad as green, yellow or regular teas, I'm still not a fan.

So if no one has anything to add, I'll assume the medicinal action of loose tea leaves is gone after the second use.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cannot tell any difference in the taste between the first brew and the fourth, but as said, I'm definitely not drinking it for the taste. Although white tea is not as bad as green, yellow or regular teas, I'm still not a fan.

So if no one has anything to add, I'll assume the medicinal action of loose tea leaves is gone after the second use.
Hmm yeah to me it doesn't make sense to reuse tea leaves... there's only a certain amount you can extract from them, and I'd hazard a guess that the first time does most the job... but I don't know for sure!

Just curious, what do you do after using them once? Dry them out for when you use them again? Oh or do you have the second pretty much straight after your first?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I keep wanting to get into tea but never do. I always end up at the tea shop drop like $100 on teas and then use it like 2 or 3 times and then forget I have it. Someday......

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I make a pot of tea in the morning. I reuse it until that day is over. Next morning I make a new pot tea. How many time have I reuse my tea? May be 5 times or even more.
Ahhh I see, thanks KFW. I may have to try that. Don't know how much flavour the subsequent teas will have but worth a shot!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a big Tea Drinker. I drink it without sugar
I like the taste of the rooibos teas and their effect on blood sugar is phenomenal. I also like chai and green tea for antioxidants.
I drink rooibos tea and it tastes just like tree bark smells. lol

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alright @Kung Fu Wang ... here we go, the adventure begins with attempting multiple cups with the same leaves!

20211122_145556.jpg

Can confirm, the second brew was still quite nice! Definitely duller and less flavour, but still enough in there!

Next time I'll go for three brews haha

Latest Discussions