Another wall bag thread

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
While looking online for wall bags, I noticed various videos people had put out for wall back training.

The stuff I was taught was fairly basic stuff, single punch, double punches, triple punches, punching with a stance shift

What are some drills that you guys like to do on the wall bag?
3 Count-3 Count-5 Count
5 Count-5 Count-7 Count
20 second speed punching
High line-Mid line-High line punching
High-High-Mid
Mid-High-Mid
Mid-Mid-High

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To claim you don't have a fighting stance is like claiming you breath without your lungs.

And thanks to my years of wall bag and heavy bag training I very rarely use gloves or wraps. Because I've taking the time to properly strengthen my wrist and hands.
Just because you lack the understanding of the tool doesnt make it useless. It just makes it useless to you
punching a wall bag hasn't strengthen your hands, your fingers/ wrist are just as likely to break as anyone elses, it will however have made you more likely to develop arthritis. that what I mean about out of time nonsense

and I didn5 say I dont have a fighting stance, but any stance is a fighting stance if you fight from that position, just some are better than others,

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
punching a wall bag hasn't strengthen your hands, your fingers/ wrist are just as likely to break as anyone elses, it will however have made you more likely to develop arthritis. that what I mean about out of time nonsense

:rolleyes:

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do a quick Google on Wolff's Law.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I supose I shouldnt be suprised 5hat people advocating archaic and harmful practises should cite an archaic medical law, that modern science has shown not to be a " law " at all,and even if you take it at face value, it doesn't come close to suggesting that regularly punching a wall will keep on strengthen the bone in definitely or ignore the rather obvious side effect that it will wreck the joints. so even if the strengthening occurs at all, you would end up with strong and otherwise useless hands,

if 5here was any authenticity to 5his then boxers who have the best strengh and condition coaches availqble would be doing it, to prevent the not infrequent breaking of bones 5hat have big fights cancelled. 8n fact it 5he principle applied they wouldn't be breaking bones at all.
to believe that 1800s ma gurus or scientists know more about anatomy that current exsperts is delutional

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wolff's Law is limited. Bone will increase in density with loading. That is true but there are limitations.
Punching on a wall bag isn't the same a punching the wall. I'm sure you know that, others may not.
If you like the gains you get from using a wall bag great, obviously others are not getting the same results as you. I've been using a wall bag for over 40 years 3-4 times a week. Keeps the skin tough and I punch with a tightly compressed yet relaxed fist. I have no concerns with my hands.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wolff's Law is limited. Bone will increase in density with loading. That is true but there are limitations.
Punching on a wall bag isn't the same a punching the wall. I'm sure you know that, others may not.
If you like the gains you get from using a wall bag great, obviously others are not getting the same results as you. I've been using a wall bag for over 40 years 3-4 times a week. Keeps the skin tough and I punch with a tightly compressed yet relaxed fist. I have no concerns with my hands.

Yeah, it all comes down to using common sense and listening to our bodies.

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
I supose I shouldnt be suprised 5hat people advocating archaic and harmful practises should cite an archaic medical law, that modern science has shown not to be a " law " at all,and even if you take it at face value, it doesn't come close to suggesting that regularly punching a wall will keep on strengthen the bone in definitely or ignore the rather obvious side effect that it will wreck the joints. so even if the strengthening occurs at all, you would end up with strong and otherwise useless hands,

if 5here was any authenticity to 5his then boxers who have the best strengh and condition coaches availqble would be doing it, to prevent the not infrequent breaking of bones 5hat have big fights cancelled. 8n fact it 5he principle applied they wouldn't be breaking bones at all.
to believe that 1800s ma gurus or scientists know more about anatomy that current exsperts is delutional
Wolffs law isnt out dated at all. Its actually the base of alot of physical rehabilitation programs. And it also explains why boxers break so many bones. When boxers use wraps and pads on their hands when fighting it actually causes the bones and muscles to become weaker because they rely on the extra structure. You can argue this all you want but you're literally going against science :rolleyes:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wolffs law isnt out dated at all. Its actually the base of alot of physical rehabilitation programs. And it also explains why boxers break so many bones. When boxers use wraps and pads on their hands when fighting it actually causes the bones and muscles to become weaker because they rely on the extra structure. You can argue this all you want but you're literally going against science :rolleyes:
ok show me some science that punching a wall bag has lead to a measurable 8ncrease 8n bone density?

and show me some more science that Antony Joshua has weak wrists

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
The law states that bones will adapt to stress placed on them. So you don't have to punch a wall. That would be silly. But, punching the wall bag or even a heavy bag without any wraps causes the bones and surrounding tissues stress that they adapt to over time. Just like muscles respond to stress. They've done experiments on tennis player's humerual and radial bones to study this law. Since tennis players only use the one arm, they can be used as their on control group. They found that the bones in the arm used to play were stronger and denser than the no dominant arm.
You have the results from punching just like I do. The skin around your knuckles is tougher than average. The bones are too

Last edited:

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
ok show me some science that punching a wall bag has lead to a measurable 8ncrease 8n bone density?
Glady, we must be able to back up our point of view. Otherwise were just talking out our *ss... right

Attachments

• taylor_Tennis_poster.pdf
    631.3 KB · Views: 266
  • ducher05.pdf
    215.1 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glady, we must be able to back up our point of view. Otherwise were just talking out our *ss... right
they are about tennis players who dont at first seem to have been punching walls.

that exercise strengthen bone is not in dispute, that punching walls does is.

so where this science you claim to be using on the topic of wall bags

and you've not even attempted to bag up your claim that boxer have weak wrists

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
they are about tennis players who dont at first seem to have been punching walls.

Punching walls??? Nobody is punching walls.
Wall bag training is not punching walls.

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score

I'm not saying boxers have weak wrist. I'm saying fighters who only ever punch with a wrap or glove on never learn proper body alignment and never properly strengthen the supporting muscles of the wrist and hands. So when they get in a fight without gloves they end up breaking bones. Happened to Mike Tyson. If you wear a knee brace on a perfectly healthy knee every time you run, than one day try and run without it, you'll more than likely hurt your knee. Because. Its. Weak. It never learned to stabilize itself.

As far as those studies not being about punching. See the attachment.
You can argue this point till you're blue in the face, but I've given actual scientific papers to look at and read.

Anyone want to talk about wall bag drills?

Attachments

• 20190525_192913.jpg
    20190525_192913.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 249

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Danny brought up a great point here for any beginners looking to do some wall bag training. Make sure you don't hang your bag directly on the wall. Build a mount for it with plywood and 2×4. This allows the bag to have some 'give' to it and it won't rattle the joints

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm unclear where in that post where anything was said about wall bags.

Latest Discussions