Another wall bag thread

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
While looking online for wall bags, I noticed various videos people had put out for wall back training.

The stuff I was taught was fairly basic stuff, single punch, double punches, triple punches, punching with a stance shift

What are some drills that you guys like to do on the wall bag?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
8m struggling to see the point of wall bags to be honest, there archaic tech from before they invented the heavy bag and theres no reason for them unless you dont have access to a heavy bag.

there only benifit I can see is as a measure of punching power, that is, if you can hit a wall bag at full power and not break your hand then theres something wrong with your punching power.

and I've no idea how you practise hooks and and stomach punches with them, putting gloves on and punching a tree a least gives some variation on punch techniques

Last edited:

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
8m struggling to see the point of wall bags to be honest, there archaic tech from before they invented the heavy bag and theres no reason for them unless you dont have access to a heavy bag.

there only benifit I can see is as a measure of punching power, that is, if you can hit a wall bag at full power and not break your hand then theres something wrong with your punching power.

Wall bags train your horse. Hand conditioning and punching structure is a by product.
Wall bags take up less space.
Wall bags are inexpensive.
Wall bags are easily adapted to level of conditioning. You can quickly refill it with different fill to match your training goals.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wall bags train your horse. Hand conditioning and punching structure is a by product.
Wall bags take up less space.
Wall bags are inexpensive.
Wall bags are easily adapted to level of conditioning. You can quickly refill it with different fill to match your training goals.
I haven't got a horse ..? if you mean they train you to punch whilst holding a totally ridiculous fighting stance, then there practical application is obvious ie non

if by hand conditioning you mean chronic arthritis when your older, il pass, any one with any sense use hand wraps and at least light gloves when punching a heavy bag, punching a thin bag rice hung on a wall at anything approach full power seem ridiculously reckless.

Last edited:

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven't got a horse ..? if you mean they train you to punch whilst holding a totally ridiculous fighting stance, then there practical application is obvious ie non

if by hand conditioning you mean chronic arthritis when your older, il pass, any one with any sense use hand wraps and at least light gloves when punching a heavy bag, punching a thin bag rice hung on a wall at anything approach full power seem ridiculously reckless.

Alrighty then...seems like you have it all figured out. Have a good life.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
A classic example of why the Wing Chun forum is dying.
We're unable to have a conversation about the art we practice without being told we don't have a clue.
I miss the days when we were allowed to wallow in our ignorance.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A classic example of why the Wing Chun forum is dying.
We're unable to have a conversation about the art we practice without being told we don't have a clue.
I miss the days when we were allowed to wallow in our ignorance.
I suspect its dying as wing Chun is dying, you could reasonably ask why that is so, but the answer is fairly obvious, its stuck in the past typified by punching rice bags and kicking ch7ks of wood

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score

To claim you don't have a fighting stance is like claiming you breath without your lungs.

And thanks to my years of wall bag and heavy bag training I very rarely use gloves or wraps. Because I've taking the time to properly strengthen my wrist and hands.
Just because you lack the understanding of the tool doesnt make it useless. It just makes it useless to you

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suspect its dying as wing Chun is dying, you could reasonably ask why that is so, but the answer is fairly obvious, its stuck in the past typified by punching rice bags and kicking ch7ks of wood

see, now there you go again. Maybe we like beating our wood and playing with our long poles.;)

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
While looking online for wall bags, I noticed various videos people had put out for wall back training.

The stuff I was taught was fairly basic stuff, single punch, double punches, triple punches, punching with a stance shift

What are some drills that you guys like to do on the wall bag?
All these drills but at very close ranch. Really works short power generation, body unity, and stance.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had one in my dojo at floor level for training my toe kicks. Was great until my instructor made a visit and toe kicked the bag through the 3/4 drywall behind it. Lesson learned back it with 3/4 plywood.

D

Deleted member 39746

Running at it might work, seems fun to do anyway.

Latest Discussions