Shoulder Power

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone like to share any drills or exercises they do to develop shoulder power , apart from the forms.

You know , that short range jolting power that comes from the shoulder socket.

One of my old instructors was fantastic at it , just when you thought you had him all trapped up in chi sau sparring , you'd forget that his elbow and forearm were up against your chest , and then boom you would go rocketing back as he struck from another seemingly impossible position to generate any power from.

I usually practice it on a heavy bag , or with a partner holding a focus mitt on their chest.

I train it two ways , from long range where I will extend my arm till it is locked out , because I want to isolate and not have any assistance from the elbow.

Using either a punch or palm hold your extended arm up until it is touching the target , it is important that the shoulder remains relaxed and in a neutral position , you will find that people will try and cheat on the exercise by pulling the shoulder back in an effort to load up the strike.

This is wrong it has to be performed from the natural position of the shoulder and totally relaxed.

When you are ready just shoot your whole arm forward from the shoulder socket with a quick jolt of energy , don't over do it with the shoulder movement otherwise it will throw your whole structure out of whack.
About an inch is probably enough in my opinion.

The next way I do it , is to even further isolate the shoulder and to train short range .
This time bring your elbow/forearm up horizontal till it is touching the pad , palm facing down , don't put your elbow on the centreline this will just create tension in the shoulder.

Think of sending your force through the elbow but still keeping the angle in your forearm , this can be an effective close range strike in itself.
Again make sure you do it very relaxed and from a neutral shoulder position.

It also goes without saying you must sink your weight down into your stance to generate maximum power and not be affected by the old equal and opposite reaction.

I wouldn't recommend training this full power on a wall bag , there is less joints involved to dissipate the shock and it will just end up going through your shoulder joint and up to your skull , and most of you are silly enough as it is.

Using a focus mitt on someones chest is the best bet , its a firm surface and gives a good feel to the strike but still gives the holder enough protection.

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have started to use large gym rubber bands,for strength in my shoulders and a regular weight training but i have always had weak shoulders myself, for people who dont wana build bulk i would say the old gym rubber band is the best for tagerting thoses small muscles.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have started to use large gym rubber bands,for strength in my shoulders and a regular weight training but i have always had weak shoulders myself, for people who dont wana build bulk i would say the old gym rubber band is the best for tagerting thoses small muscles.

Sorry I probably should have said Shoulder Force , Rion.
Its not really a strength thing , its more of a relaxation and muscle control thing directed by your mind and stabilised by your stance.

Sort of related to things like the 1 inch punch , elbow force and hip power , these things are developed by chi sau and practicing the forms.
Your weight training will neither help nor hinder , not unless you are so massive and sore from pumping iron that you can't relax sufficiently.

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh i get you now, i was wondered how my Sifu got that crazy force from,hmm i`ll try give what you said a go. I didnt fully understand it but i`ll reread it a few times.

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know this is going off topic but i wanted to know how else you created that power. I dont want to start another thread because it can of goes under what this thread is about.But stuff like the inch punch how is that done,how do you train for that short bust of power.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this is going off topic but i wanted to know how else you created that power. I dont want to start another thread because it can of goes under what this thread is about.But stuff like the inch punch how is that done,how do you train for that short bust of power.

In a physical sense the 1 inch punch is performed by carefully relaxing the muscles and coordinating the force vectors of various parts of the body in perfect harmony.

But after quite a few years training in Sil Lum Tao form what we call " Determination Force " or " Thought Force " is also employed. This is an internal energy flow cultivated by practice of the Sil Lum Tao form , this is where the potential force of the whole body is "Called Up" and used at will to energise whatever technique you happen to be doing at the time.

Of course all of this takes many years to develop , particularly the mental part.
Stance and all the rest of it just doesn't happen overnight , it takes quite a few years unfortunately.

Regular training of the Sil Lum Tao form is absolutely critical in developing this short range power , as each time you train SLT you are also training your 1 inch punch , other things that can supplement this practice are pivoting which will further help with your balance and help you to find your centre.

Also start practicing your striking from a very short distance on a heavy bag , wall bag or partner holding a pad.

Sink your weight down into your stance , not too low or otherwise the thighs will tense and you will bounce of the target .

But just low enough so that the thighs are springy like a shock absorber , I can't give you a particular angle because it is dfferent for each individual due to body type , flexibilty and other factors etc.

Relax your shoulders and start softly trying to drive your fist through the target driven from your elbow , its very important to stay relaxed .
Mentally project your will through your elbow to your wrist to the centreline and out the other side .

Its very important to try and stay relaxed any attempt to try and muscle the strike through using brute strength will be counter-productive and just teach bad habits which maybe hard to undo later.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
if you lift weights, you can also adapt this to supplement the training Mook described.
for example- Shoulder press.
use a smith machine or a good spotter. Load up the bar with a lot more weight than you normally would.Lift the bar up to about an inch or two before full extension. Do 1-2 inch explosive reps.
do this for your leg press ( full foot and on the toes) and close grip bench press too. it really does make a difference in a relatively short time ( about 1-2 months).
you still need to do the type of training Mook described but these are good supplemental exercises.

Last edited:

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys,i knew that things like the inch punch would take years to train. But i`ll get there, got another three hour lesson tonight can`t wait.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Structure, breath and movement, are the key elements to begin to feel power, which is the absents of force. In my style, Okinawan GoJu, there are two very important kata called Sanchin and also Tensho. We start with Sanchin and after many years, and form practice we learn Tensho. Too much of Karate tends to be stiff and rigid, but your explanation goes a long way to help many, if they listen.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions