Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Major Burns

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I voted for Potter and Winchester -- they're characters were complex, sometimes unpredictable. In later years a lot of the tension between Hawkeye and Hot Lips dissipated. Hawkeye and Hunnicutt were running an endless Marx Bros style cadence that wore thin for me.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I voted for Potter and Winchester -- they're characters were complex, sometimes unpredictable. In later years a lot of the tension between Hawkeye and Hot Lips dissipated. Hawkeye and Hunnicutt were running an endless Marx Bros style cadence that wore thin for me.
Yes, but it started with Trapper John MacIntyre, B.J. just picked up where Trap left off.

By the way... found this... The full lyrics to the theme song.
Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...

[Refrain]:
That suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make
all our little joys relate
without that ever-present hate
but now I know that it's too late, and...

[Refrain]

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say.

[Refrain]

The only way to win is cheat
And lay it down before I'm beat
and to another give my seat
for that's the only painless feat.

[Refrain]

The sword of time will pierce our skins
It doesn't hurt when it begins
But as it works its way on in
The pain grows stronger, watch it grin, but...

[Refrain]

A brave man once requested me
to answer questions that are key
"is it to be or not to be"
and I replied "oh why ask me?"

'Cause suicide is painless
it brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.
...and you can do the same thing if you choose.

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And lets not forget, Prior to coming on full time as Sherman Potter, Harry Morgan played a senile General Steele who payed a Visit to the camp when Henry Blake was still in command.

That was a GREAT episode...

OP
Drac

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if you remember the song was played during Painless' pre-funeral dinner... which iconically was set up to look like the last supper by DaVinci.. Black capsule was of course speed.

Yes on all observations

Sally Kellerman played Hot-lips in the movie but I think Loretta's Swit's take on her and growth of the character was definitely better... Why wasn't she on the poll

Because she wasnt in the series

Other long time characters though secondary was nurse Kelly Kellye Nakahara (91 episodes) and Igor (68 episodes). Zelmo Zale was replaced by Luther Rizzo.

Yes again..The poll was for principal players

Bea Jay Hunnicut was well written to be sure and well played by Mike Farrell who must've had a blast doing the character.

I was never a big fan of BJ

Always liked Colonel Randall Flagg's appearances (including his first when he showed up at a poker game and asked about everyone's ability to keep a secret... then pointed to Klinger..."what about her?" Which Pat Morita replied "she's my wife"... Later Flagg sat down besides Klinger and looked at him then said... "Hey!... Up close you're a guy!" Klinger answered "Far away too!" :lfao: that always gets me...

Yes that was among the GREATS..I thought it was someone else that said " That's my wife" to which Dr Freeman said " That's a very interesting joke..

The various Asian actors that came and went were always superb, Pat Morita, Mako (in several various roles), Key Luke, Bob Okazaki, Chao Li Chi, Sab Shimono, Susan Sakimoto, Frances Fong (Rosie) Rollin Moriyama, Haunani Minn, Tad Horino, Sachiko Penny Lee, Arthur Song, Oksun Kim, Rosalind Chao (Soon Lee -- became Klinger's Wife), Robert Ito, Jack Soo,
Yuki Shimoda, Johnny Yune, Philip Ahn (yes, Master Kan from Kung Fu) Kimiko Hiroshige, John Fujioka, Momo Yashima, Virginia Ann Lee, James Saito, June Kyoto Lu, Shizuko Hoshi, Leland Sun, Clyde Kusatsu, Noel Toy,
Soon-Tek Oh, Jerry Fujikawa, Byron Chung, Patrick Adiarte (Ho John), Eileen Saki (also Rosie) Richard Lee-Sung (who starred in 10 episodes)
(list obtained from IMDB.com of course)....
These bit/secondary/supporting actors to me, really made the show. Their walk on parts, full or partial stories focused on them helped the primary characters have their true selves revealed. Great show without a doubt.

Oh by the way... Andrew Dice Clay appeared in an episode of the show... "Trick Or Treatment"

Musta missed that one..

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh by the way... Andrew Dice Clay appeared in an episode of the show... "Trick Or Treatment"

Mash had a LOT of celebrity guest stars that people don't know about or didnt know of at the time...

Leslie Neilson, Ron Howard, Jackie Cooper, Terri Garr, John Ritter, Vincent Price, Ned Beatty, Mako, Pat Morita... I'm sure there were probably even more...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MA-Caver
Sally Kellerman played Hot-lips in the movie but I think Loretta's Swit's take on her and growth of the character was definitely better... Why wasn't she on the poll
Because she wasn't in the series
Swit was who I meant not Kellerman... should've been more specific.

Yes that was among the GREATS..I thought it was someone else that said " That's my wife" to which Dr Freeman said " That's a very interesting joke..
It was Morita who was sitting next to Klinger when Flagg asked the question. Sidney I think didn't say anything at that moment because Radar came in to let them know he hit an old Korean guy (was it a thud or a thump?), Of course Morita again had a great line..." Corporal? Was this old guy about 5 foot nothing, somewhere between 50 and 200 years old?"

Latest Discussions