Another Sparring Frustration!!!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
also...it sounds like sarah and raisin train at the same school and seem to be the same rank...you should get together when you can and work some things...maybe not full out spar if you aren't comfortable with it...but practice makes perfect

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We train together reguarly and partner up all the time. We seem to go alright together, we know each others pace so yes it's easy to get the combo's right, but our instructor likes us to swap partners quite alot so you end up sparring alot of other people in your rank. that is where the problems occur. If we can partner up with a higher rank if they happen to be there, its a fight to get to him/her first!!!!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i see....yeah...always practicing with someone you know in and out can be a problem...you already know how to read them and what they like to do...i mostly train at my college and the advanced class is pretty small...so we all know each other very well...and everyone knows my habits...so i can't really suprise them anymore...

for instance...i'm right handed...but i like to spar left handed...i just like to keep my right leg forward...as the name implies i'm a big guy..so i like to keep my distance from people...cause i've got the reach...one of my favorite moves is as soon as i see you closing in i'll throw a lead leg side kick (aka cut kick) and knock you back...i've been known to knock people down quite a bit with this...but everybody at my school knows it so it never really works on them anymore....so i guess it just pushes me to step out of the box and come up with new things....

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Raisin,

I can admit with the utmost honesty. I am horrible in the sparring ring. I had one and a half Okay seasons, but for the most part... I suck.

Here's what I can tell you about point sparring (from my view as a poor sparer); hardhead said it best when he metioned that you should take into account who you're sparring and what small victories you're getting. It will come. Trust me. Mine is coming... it is slow, but it is coming.

For me, when I spar those in my dojang, I usually end up holding my own and some I can beat. Some higher ranks that I can win against, sometimes. And some that just use me as a heavy bag. Its when I'm at a tourney that I can not do it :: shrugs :: Still havent figured out what I'm doing wrong.

I take the small victories and smile about those. I know what I could do outside the ring and on the street, should I need to.
I spar my instructor repeatedly. He is a 4th Dan and I am just a 1st Dan. I have been sparring him since I was just a white belt. He whips me up one side and down the other. But there is ALWAYS atleast one, or two, good shots I get in that surprise even him. Those are the small victories.

Look at it this way, in the end... it is all about PILSUNG (personal victory).

B

Barra Brazil

this might seem too simple but, you want to improve your sparring, spar every time you train. slow, med, fast, whatever. you must get used to traffic and impact. i think everyone had a nice tip for you. now, go spar, a lot. start with people you trust. it does not need to be in class. and don't forget to have fun:)

mc

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
XxTKDPenguinxX said:
For me, when I spar those in my dojang, I usually end up holding my own and some I can beat. Some higher ranks that I can win against, sometimes. And some that just use me as a heavy bag. Its when I'm at a tourney that I can not do it :: shrugs :: Still havent figured out what I'm doing wrong.
On a side note, have you thought about having someone video your fights at tornaments so you can watch them after??

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Sarah said:
On a side note, have you thought about having someone video your fights at tornaments so you can watch them after??
You know, I never did think of that before. I don't know why, it sounds simple enough! :idunno: That was until just a few weeks ago when a lower rank approached me about his sparring techiniques. He asked me what he was doing wrong, so I just gave him a pointer about guarding his point area (rib cage: he tended to lift his arm to allow for a quick side kick to the ribs... repeatedly). Anyways, this guy told me (after returning from a tourney) that he had his wife video him. When he watched it he saw what I was talking about... now he doesn't expose the ribs anymore.
I guess it pays off. I'll find out September 11th at our next regional! :asian:

Anyone else this method helped? Be interested in knowing!

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
XxTKDPenguinxX said:
You know, I never did think of that before. I don't know why, it sounds simple enough! :idunno: That was until just a few weeks ago when a lower rank approached me about his sparring techiniques. He asked me what he was doing wrong, so I just gave him a pointer about guarding his point area (rib cage: he tended to lift his arm to allow for a quick side kick to the ribs... repeatedly). Anyways, this guy told me (after returning from a tourney) that he had his wife video him. When he watched it he saw what I was talking about... now he doesn't expose the ribs anymore.
I guess it pays off. I'll find out September 11th at our next regional! :asian:

Anyone else this method helped? Be interested in knowing!
I have never been in a tournament and have only been training a short time, but I am certian watching yourself on video will be a huge help. I use to compete in Dog Obedience and would have every round video taped, and it would make correcting myself for next time that much easier.

I

Insedia_Cantharis

In all martial arts there is one rule:

STAY CALM! When you are sparring, the one thing you can do is tell yourself when you start to panic to slow down. If you're getting hit, concentrate on that for a while. Once you are comfertable, or the other person is just tired, start (while continuing to defend) to remember you're combinations. This will be slow at first but eventually you will get the hang of it.

Also, when you are practicing, try using a live partner. this does not have to go full force, but you will certainly find it easier to cope while sparring. In other words, practice on a person that is moving and maybe throwing some slow strikes.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Insedia_Cantharis said:
In all martial arts there is one rule:

STAY CALM! When you are sparring, the one thing you can do is tell yourself when you start to panic to slow down. If you're getting hit, concentrate on that for a while. Once you are comfertable, or the other person is just tired, start (while continuing to defend) to remember you're combinations. This will be slow at first but eventually you will get the hang of it.

Also, when you are practicing, try using a live partner. this does not have to go full force, but you will certainly find it easier to cope while sparring. In other words, practice on a person that is moving and maybe throwing some slow strikes.
That'sthe problem, we are always practising on a live partner. When I get hit its not necessarily hard, its just the fact it is so unexpected it gives me a fright!!!! Unfortunatley I dont have nerves of steel. And because we are swapping partners so quickly(we sparr for about 4 mins than swap to a new partner) you are getting a new style of fighter every time and so Im always adjusting, I think thats where my problem is, I cant adjust!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
That'sthe problem, we are always practising on a live partner. When I get hit its not necessarily hard, its just the fact it is so unexpected it gives me a fright!!!! Unfortunatley I dont have nerves of steel. And because we are swapping partners so quickly(we sparr for about 4 mins than swap to a new partner) you are getting a new style of fighter every time and so Im always adjusting, I think thats where my problem is, I cant adjust!!
Raisin please DON'T use the phase I CAN'T, in time you will learn to adjust to your fighter style, I have found that if I do not try and change but fight my fight they have to be the one to change. Bottom line is fight your fight not there's. make them try to figure out what you are doing instead of you trying to figure them out, be a leader not a follower in life... GOD BLESS AMERICA
smileJap.gif

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Raisin please DON'T use the phase I CAN'T, in time you will learn to adjust to your fighter style, I have found that if I do not try and change but fight my fight they have to be the one to change. Bottom line is fight your fight not there's. make them try to figure out what you are doing instead of you trying to figure them out, be a leader not a follower in life... GOD BLESS AMERICA
smileJap.gif
Oooops, sorry................that'll be 50 press ups for me to do. I should have said "I have difficulty!"

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sparring is frustrating but you have to have patience with yourself. Its a learning experience and it takes a lot of time before everything seems to go together. Just have fun with your partners. Learn what they do. Practice a few 2-3 combinations until they work fairly well, then build on. If you relax, have fun, it will come easier. TW

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Raisin said:
Oooops, sorry................that'll be 50 press ups for me to do. I should have said "I have difficulty!"
Um... I tend to use "I am sparred challenged." j/k

Latest Discussions