Ankle supports

bitesizemidgee

White Belt
Reaction score
Another question I was looking for some feedback on regards the benefit of training with ankle supports on. I understand that they prevent ankle rollover, but do any of your clubs recommend using them? Nobody in my school uses them, one of the guys said something about not wanting to train with them and developing a dependence on wearing them. What do you think, are they beneficial, detrimental, or all together useless?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I have used them and currently I am using them. When my achilles flared up from an injury awhile ago they really helped alot! Since then I mostly teach with them on but when I am training myself I usually do not. They offer some support and definately keep the area in question warm. Sorry I cannot be more help but try them out and see if you like them.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I was training in Germany my instructor included them with our gear.There we did alot of cardio in our warmups that required jumping.We also had many aerial attacks(flying knees,elbows,etc.)So the stress on the ankles could get really tremondous.Almost all od the students always wore ankle braces.

I think that it is a good idea to wear them while you are training,but to take them off when you are done.Your ankles will not become "depended" on them because of the high amount of stress being placed on them during training (especially if you train more than twice a week).

Latest Discussions