Training with Weights and Trainers? Whats wrong with my Training plan?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Im just beginning to train at home usually each morning or afternoon when I come home from collage.
When I train I've started using ankle weights and wearing trainers. I wear trainers so that it resembles a self defence situation and I wear weights to build up my leg muscles however I'm finding that doing some of my balance exercises (such as lifting the leg slowly to a horizontal point level with the hip and holding it there for 30 seconds) is very difficult and I'm getting fustrated with the fact I usually have amost perfect balance but now I can hardly stay up at all.
Is it worth wearing weights?
Is it worth wearing trainers and will either really benefit me that much in the long run?

An example of a days training plan for me is:

7.00Am
Sprinting around the block.
Sitting Stance 50 single punches, 20 Double punches
20 Leg Raises (fowards and horizontally)
Then hold for 30 seconds each leg in a side kick
Thigh to waist leg raises
Stretches
TKD patterns

After collage

Sprinting around the block
20 knee raises each leg followed by another 20 knee raises
20 Sidekicks (10 straight off, 10 through chambering the leg)
20 Turning Kicks (10 straight off, 10 through chambering the leg)
10 Outer crescent kicks, inwards and outwards both legs.

Stretching include Hamstring stretch, Soles together stretch, stretching down etc

If I do wear weights and trainers when would it be most appropiate to do so? Say in the morning or afternoon?

Regards
Nick

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I don't think time of day matters a whole lot (unless your'e really stiff in the morning). I've used wrist and ankle weights before to help build up my stamina quickly.

Here's my advice with weights: 1.) Make sure you warm up and stretch before you put the weights on to make certain you don't hurt your joints or tendons. 2.) Weights will throw off your precision for when you're not wearing them. Whatever techniques are practiced with weights need to be practiced without them, especially forms. It sounds like your problem balancing is from not practicing without the weights. 3.) Weighting yourself during training will improve your stamina/cardio, strenghthen your arms and legs if used properly, and it may make you faster (that one's debatable). However, it seems it only lasts for the short term.

Personally, I think weighting yourself lightly can be worth it in the long run if you keep it up. But don't give up practicing without them, unless you plan on weighting yourself 24/7.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Zepp. Make sure that you're properly warmed up. Now...a few questions for you.

How much weight are you using?

Have you ever done this type of training before?

You may want to consider using a lighter weight and doing less reps. Start off slow and then gradually build up. As time goes on, you'll get more and more used to it.

Mike

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend ditching the anle weights because you can damage your knees.

The knee joint is designed to to take "pressure"...ankle weights "pull" the joint apart and long term can cause "water on the knee".
Doesn't happen to everybody....but better safe than sorry.
A weighted vest would be a better investment.
Trade your Leg raises in for lower ab "reverse" crunches.
Leg raises only work the hip flexors and don't really do much for the abs.
Also...If you ever blow out a disc in your lower lumbar region....leg raises ares over anyway.
They pull on lower back muscles in a bad way:erg:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm personally not sure if I would use the ankle/wrist weights at all. They may be good but as another said you could throw your joints out easily if you punched too hard or kicked too hard or plain trying to run with them on.
Again, I would favor the reverse crunch as well. If you do them properly you may only get 8 - 12 reps if your lucky and they do work extremely well. Leg raises I personally haven't had much luck with but hey, everyone is different. If you're really after working the abs then you need to change your routine and exercises up. :asian:

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys, I think I might ditch the ankle weights and not extend the arm when punching so I dont damage the joint and ligaments.

Still how do I do a reverse crunch?

And I havn't done this type of thing before either!

Is it worth going through all that training plan? Or just shadow boxing and sparring in the morning?
Thanks for the replies

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Still how do I do a reverse crunch?

Do a search on the internet on www.flexonline.com or search the muscle & fitness website.

My question to you is how goof of shape do you want to be in? Also, what are you specifically training for or to do?

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am trying to train to be faster. With my techniques such as turning kicks and side kicks and blocks as well trying to create muscle patterns that are learned so I wouldn't have to consciously think about them in a fight.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Work your forms with extreme precision. Vary the forms when you practice them as well. Do some at a fast pace and try not to worry about everything being in the right place all of the time. This will give you an aerobic type work out. Start at form 1 and work your way to the last one you know. Also practice slow motion by tensing the muscles as you hit each stance, kick, block, strike, punch. Hold the position for a one or two count before moving into the next movement. Another time practice each form as hard and as fast as you can with the best control you can. Come up with some other variatoins on your own that suite your own needs.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
if you want to use weights...you can do exercises for "explosion" rather than mass building.
Example....
Dumbells and a flat bench.Do dumbell bench presses,but instead of a steady,smooth motion of up and down....you start the movement just like a bench press(with dumbells) and fire straight up as fast as you can,paying close attention NOT to hyperextend your elbows, and then lower back down on a count of 2-4 seconds to the beginning position.
you can alternate arms just like doing reverse punches when standing..
since you won't be using heavy weights...you can repeat this process with 10-15 times as one set.take a 60 second breather between sets and do 3-4 sets.
For a warm up...I suggest 2 sets of push ups,minimum, and go to failure on both sets before trying this exercise.
Don't worry about getting "big muscles" and slowing you down....this exercise will increase speed and endurance...and give you a nice little cut your chest after a whille too
icon12.gif

Furthermore....if you want to choose a different route...
if you search online for boxing equipment...you can find a belt or vest that that has the rubber restraint bands that are designed specifically for developing punching ability.
You can practice forms while wearing it and still get major results in your overall striking abilities.
OR...you can go old school and tie a giant inner-tube round a pole or a tree and stand with your back to the pole and hold the other end in your hand and do punching practice like that....Dinosaur training worked for a reason!

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One more thing....

reverse crunch:lie on your back and bring your knees up like you were going to do a normal crunch,elbows to knees,instead...put your hands down by your side and lift your butt about 6 inches of the ground and then lower yourself back down.
Picture this......lying down,someone standing at your shoulders with your head between his feet you, wanna try and knee him in the shins.
But don't roll up that far! the key is keeping tension on the abs!
the frontal abs do 2 things;1) upper abs pull the ribcage to the hips.2) the lower abs pull the hips to the ribcage.
Its a very small range of motion to work both upper and lower abs.
www.flexonline.com is a damn good site for info....pro bodybuilder Flex Wheeler is a BB in taekwon do...and he's HUUUUGE!
www.muscletech.com has a newsletter that you can sign up for(which I highly recommend) and video clips to show you how to do specific exercises like the ones for the abs.....and its free
icon12.gif

OP
Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody else have a training schedule for once a day training that I could work from or analysise? Just to give me an idea if I'm doing it right!

Are forms really the way to improve speed?

T

TKD USA

You really shouldn't use weights they mess up your ankles, knees wrists and a lot of other joints.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
so far...most everything you do is fine.

I strongly suggest researching fitness and weight programs to tailor to your own needs.
www.flexonline.com has a forum that you can sign on to and get info from very expierienced people and people who are dedicated martial artists themselves.
I,personally,took MY training one step further by studying the "biomechanics" of the human body;i.e..nutrition,physiology and kenisiology etc....
and spent quite a bit of time researching sports medicine for martial arts in specific.
Martial arts is a wonderful thing...but the actions of the human body while training is remarkable...for me anyway.
Oh yea...and anyone who says weight training is bad for the martial arts....needs educating!
I am 38yrs old and train in both everyday and have met MANY MA's who weight train,circuit train and love what they have achieved.
It really depends on the direction you want to go....some want old school training,some want modern. I like the best of both worlds myself
icon10.gif

Just watch for things that can cause long term permanent damage and you will be whoopin a$$ for many years to come!

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hicks,
Gotta agree with Bammx on this one. Seek a trainer. I read your daily program and I think you are on the road to damage more than 'speed'.

Firstly, you have to know how to assess where you are starting in your fitness goal of 'speed' (baseline). What is your strength, aerobic, technical, agility....ability/level right now? Once you have established that, you should get a training perscription that allows you to train into speed instead of slamming your body with speed training that is going to break you down/injure you instead of build you up.

The best way is a trainer. NOT just one of the 'fitness trainers' on the floor of the local gym. They generally know what works for them and how to adjust the equiptment...even that might be on the high end of expectation.

If you are in college, talk to the sports science/strength and conditioning coach for the track team. Sprinter leg speed/conditioning would be a good parallel to start with. It might not be perfect, but it will help. Another way to go is trying to contact via websearch the US Olympic training info out there for the US Karate/TKD teams. Gotta be helpful.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't get what you are trying to accomplish? Stamina, Power, Strength, Mobility.

Assuming you are like many martial artisits and are just looking for routine to keep you a rounded individual.

AM
6 to 12 minute Warm up Bike, Walk or light Jog
2 to 3 Basic stretch
Low Kicks 8-12 - Front, Side, Rnd, Axe, Back
Punches from HBR stance 8-12 to each section (Low,Med High)
Combination Punches jab-Cross, Jab-Cross-Uppeercut-Swing can be used to break up the kicks.
Basic blocks in front stance 8-12
Jump rope 3-5 minutes
Weights:Squat, Leg Curl and Extensions, Ad and abductor and do not forget calf raises single leg if you can 30 Reps Each leg.
Follow with Breakfast

PM
Normal martial Arts workout.- Follow with a quick protein snack. Small rest 10 minutes.
Run 20 minutes low intensity (Vary this intervals and jump rope)
Long Stretch 10-20 Minutes

The funny thing is that eating is the thing that will be your worst enemy getting both quantity and quality in.

God Bless

Latest Discussions