an importent (though slightly ironic) anouncement

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all this is my 500th post. And unless I'm mistaken that makes me a martial talk black belt.
Also from the 19th to the 22nd I was testing for my brown belt in Cuong Nhu. There in lies the irony. I have a little story I wish to tell about my brown belt test. In Cuong Nhu when you take a green, brown, or black belt test, you have to take a written exam. They are over things like martial arts history, history of the style, knowledge of the style (who is currently in charge), and knowledge of Cuong Nhu philosophy. You know, those fun little sets of wisdom I throw out there every so often. You don't? Ohh well. I got an 81%, and needed an 80%. So I barely passed that part.
We also have to do a paper for brown and black belt tests. The subject is up to the tester, I did mine over the eight codes of ethics. I had to have atleast 2 pages, I ended up with three and a half. Not sure how I did on that though. I think the idea is more that you can. But, what ever. There is also two minutes of public speaking required at every rank after green. Again, I think that is mostly about the knoweldge that you can.
For the physical test the following are required: 200 lunge punches (not as hard as it sounds), 100 knife hands (also not as hard as it sounds), completion of a series of kicks, doing the throws I know three times, do all 12 katas that are required for my rank (easy as pie with how I train), three rounds of two minute long continuse sparring. The first two rounds made me mad. Vinny (a relitivly low rank) was sprring at a hundreth of his normal pace. And Jordan (who isn't too far behind me) did the same. The last round was against Deena (same rank as Jordan in Cuong Nhu and a black belt in Tae Kwon Do), she pushed me. Normally she is marginally agressive, and highly skilled. At my test it was just violence.
The only chink in my test was boards. I had to do a set of three boards, no spacers. I hit it 8 freakin times, I didn't get butkis done. So I'm on whats called "probation". Meaning I didn't pass, but didn't fail. So I have a month to do break boards in class, and I pass. If I don't get that done in a month then I have to re-take the whole thing.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations, and don't let the boards throw you - a lot of people miss boards at testing, and get the same month to make it up that you have. Just remember to focus; if you get mad, you'll hit the top and bounce.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am sure you have been told this many times before but do not think about the top of the top board do not focus on teh top at all.

Focus on the floor/ground behind the boards then strike.

My Jujitsu Sensei use to always tell us if you are going to hit something you need to aim for what's behind it.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations on the MT BB and good luck on the boards! I'm sure you'll get it done, nothing else is acceptable, right?!? :whip1:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First of all this is my 500th post. And unless I'm mistaken that makes me a martial talk black belt.
Also from the 19th to the 22nd I was testing for my brown belt in Cuong Nhu. There in lies the irony. I have a little story I wish to tell about my brown belt test. In Cuong Nhu when you take a green, brown, or black belt test, you have to take a written exam. They are over things like martial arts history, history of the style, knowledge of the style (who is currently in charge), and knowledge of Cuong Nhu philosophy. You know, those fun little sets of wisdom I throw out there every so often. You don't? Ohh well. I got an 81%, and needed an 80%. So I barely passed that part.
We also have to do a paper for brown and black belt tests. The subject is up to the tester, I did mine over the eight codes of ethics. I had to have atleast 2 pages, I ended up with three and a half. Not sure how I did on that though. I think the idea is more that you can. But, what ever. There is also two minutes of public speaking required at every rank after green. Again, I think that is mostly about the knoweldge that you can.
For the physical test the following are required: 200 lunge punches (not as hard as it sounds), 100 knife hands (also not as hard as it sounds), completion of a series of kicks, doing the throws I know three times, do all 12 katas that are required for my rank (easy as pie with how I train), three rounds of two minute long continuse sparring. The first two rounds made me mad. Vinny (a relitivly low rank) was sprring at a hundreth of his normal pace. And Jordan (who isn't too far behind me) did the same. The last round was against Deena (same rank as Jordan in Cuong Nhu and a black belt in Tae Kwon Do), she pushed me. Normally she is marginally agressive, and highly skilled. At my test it was just violence.
The only chink in my test was boards. I had to do a set of three boards, no spacers. I hit it 8 freakin times, I didn't get butkis done. So I'm on whats called "probation". Meaning I didn't pass, but didn't fail. So I have a month to do break boards in class, and I pass. If I don't get that done in a month then I have to re-take the whole thing.
Your paper was too long. Write a multi page rough draft and shave it down to the page limit. (next time); and congrats.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your MT Black Belt! Keep training hard and good luck with the board break!! Let us know how things go! :ultracool

Mike

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
that's great - congrats. That test does not sound easy!

Will you practice by breaking boards at home before you do that part in class again?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First of all, congratulations on your test and on your MT black. The funny thing about a test ... as in life ... is that sometimes even your best trick doesn't work, and you have to either camouflage it, compensate for it, or try again.

I don't know if you do any mental work in your art, but here's a hint: envision those boards as splinters and in pieces before you even buy the wood. When you go pick out your wood, see it already broken and on the floor. Pay for it and pity it because it will melt at the touch of your hands and feet. Every time you touch it or look at it remember ... they are not whole boards, they are pieces held together by your grace only. As you set up the boards, thank the spacers for their assistance in ending the agony of the boards. And finally, put them into peace.

This is owning your target. Supreme confidence. Absence of doubt.

If you already have enough wood for five years, go buy new wood for this break. New energy ....

Good luck!

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
grats on oyur mt bb, and im sure youll make your board breaks soon :)

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats in making MT black belt. The boards are just another part of your journey. As with everything in the martial arts the solution will come in time. Keep you chin up and look forward.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on the Black Belt status..

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kacey - I didn't really. The whole problem was because I set them in my basement. Apparently the basement will make the wood absorb water, even if they are under a furnace vent.

Xue Sheng - I do. Like I told Kacey the problem was I let my wood absorb water.

Stick arts - Thanks

JDInca - Darn striaght!!!!!

Touch of death - My Sensei said that two pages is the minum, it becomes too much at five.

MJS - Thanks, and I will!!!

L Canyon - Thanks. And Cuong Nhu tests are desinged to be hard. In fact brown and one green stripe (first test) are supposed to be the hardest. And Yes and No. I don't have too much wood left and cann't get any more for a while (the best place is kinda far out there, and I don't have too much money either). So I'm doing body weight squats and lunges and posture training. Don't forget the posture training.

Shesulsa - I'll do that next time I get wood. And thanks

Brandijo - Your's is in that pm. And you misspelled my style. It's Cuong Nhu, not Chong Nu. But, no worrys.

Chinto01 - Can do!!!!

Drac - Thanks

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
O.K. so update about my test. I put down that I got "probation" at my test. Meaning as soon as I break three inches of boards (with out spacers), I'm a new Cuong Nhu Brown Belt. Yesterday I got through three inches of baords, so here we go. I'm a brown belt!
icon7.gif

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday I got through three inches of boards, so here we go. I'm a brown belt!
icon7.gif

Way to go, Jonathan!

Keep working hard... and, with your positive attitude, you'll go far!

Best of luck to you in the future!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
O.K. so update about my test. I put down that I got "probation" at my test. Meaning as soon as I break three inches of boards (with out spacers), I'm a new Cuong Nhu Brown Belt. Yesterday I got through three inches of baords, so here we go. I'm a brown belt!
icon7.gif

CONGRATUALTIONS, great job.

You just can't let trees or products from trees get the best of you I always say :)

Latest Discussions