Bad Guy Picks Wrong Home to Invade: Cuong Nhu BB

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100315/ARTICLES/3151011/1002

When police arrived at 17 S.W. 24th St., they found Christopher Brunson, a 22-year-old University of Florida student from Gainesville, on the ground with Mark-Jason "M-J" White, 26, standing guard. White, also a UF masters student who has a second-degree black belt and teaches a form of martial arts called Cuong Nhu, caught Brunson entering the downstairs part of the home he shares with his two sisters.
"In essence, he gift wrapped this case for us. He did a great job," Lt. Keith Kameg said about White.

Full of good stuff in this story:

This isn't the first time White, who has lived in Gainesville since 2002, has had to ward off an intruder or attackers locally.
He surprised a woman who broke into his home when he was living behind Norman Hall. He also twice fended off muggers when he worked as a pizza delivery man.
Currently in a master's program in children's literature, White also runs a dojo on campus and helps out at the Unified Training Center in Gainesville. He's been training in different forms of martial arts, focusing on Cuong Nhu, since 1998.

and...

"That's why I didn't go any harder on him. I didn't use a more painful hit. I tell my students all the time, if there is a situation where you have to use self-defense, you have to monitor what you're doing."
Nonetheless, White said he was prepared for a tougher adversary. The knife he had, called a karambit, has a brass knuckle edge on the front and a curved dagger.
The stick is called a tambo and is a basic weapon a martial arts student would start out with, he said. But it only takes one shot with the stick to cause injury.
"It's nothing to joke about," he said.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"I told him to get down," White said. At first the man seemed to be following orders but then, White said, the man started getting up. "I quickly moved behind him and struck (him) once in the middle of the back and he basically flattened out," White said, describing how he used a more gentle part of his fist to hit the man on the back just below his shoulder blades.
"At that point, he was more pliable," and followed commands, White said.

I'll bet he was 'more pliable'. Hehehehe.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
We court martialed a couple of idiots who tried to mug what they thought was a German civilian outside a Volksfest.... he was the martial arts instructor at the German Polizei Academy..... the bad guys didn't do very well in either the parking lot or in court.