What is a black belt test in your art like?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

Sheldon Bedell
-MT Moderator-

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Samantha said:
you guys are saying the same things over and over again.
What you have here is a matter of opinion. What you are witnessing is that people have their specific ideas on what testing should be like according to them. We're not all going to have the same ideas on training and what not. I believe that we were trying to discuss our opinions but may have gotten out of hand.

Originally posted by 7starmantis
:rolleyes: Here we go
I was hoping this was going to be a dead issue. :asian:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
What you have here is a matter of opinion. What you are witnessing is that people have their specific ideas on what testing should be like according to them. We're not all going to have the same ideas on training and what not. I believe that we were trying to discuss our opinions but may have gotten out of hand.
How ture. many threads get this way. As many get off topic. I guess it is like an addiction :asian:

jfarnsworth said:
I was hoping this was going to be a dead issue.
Not sure what you mean by this. I tend to interpret things differently.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Not sure what you mean by this. I tend to interpret things differently.
I didn't want to pick up the disagreement again is all. :) :asian:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me guess. If you sustained broken ribs, jaw, cracked skull, or were knocked unconscious you failed. That's the kind of test you want to invite your friends and family to.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Let me guess. If you sustained broken ribs, jaw, cracked skull, or were knocked unconscious you failed. That's the kind of test you want to invite your friends and family to.

It can be hard to train hard and I'm not sure how to sustain realism without compromising safety. :idunno:

I broke three ribs on the last day of my 2nd dan test. My entire family was there to witness...I've got to little kids and that was the second time in three that I've been laid up with broken bones. Needless to say, this type of training brings up lots of other issues and questions.

My point. If my test was not meant to teach me, I would have failed. Thankfully, my instructor had made the decision that I was ready for promotion and had already judged my technique. He allowed me to complete my test when I was healed.

I am looking forward to my test for third dan. It may be the hardest thing I ever do. I'm not sure. For first dan, my instructor wants to see knowledge of all lower rank technique, demonstration of all breakfalls, and a demonstration of instinctive motion. For 2nd dan endurance, speed, and instinctive motion should be seen throughout the entire test. For third, the characteristics are power, grace, and beauty...mushin :asian:

upnorthkyosa

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But think about it: if you sustain broken ribs or a cracked skull, that's going to severely undermine your ability to, say, go to work to support yourself and your family. You don't get workman's comp.

I know testing brings some inherent risk. However, at our testings our GM is always nervous about accidents like this. One, because he knows how much power these techniques have. Two, if someone is severely injured during a test, it brings the organization's credibility down ("we don't know how to prevent accidents"). Third, one word: lawsuits. America is lawsuit crazy.

Which way is better: demonstrating that you could have broken some guy's ribs or jaw at a testing but had enough control not to, or getting injured or injuring someone because you could not control your technique?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
But think about it: if you sustain broken ribs or a cracked skull, that's going to severely undermine your ability to, say, go to work to support yourself and your family. You don't get workman's comp.

I know testing brings some inherent risk. However, at our testings our GM is always nervous about accidents like this. One, because he knows how much power these techniques have. Two, if someone is severely injured during a test, it brings the organization's credibility down ("we don't know how to prevent accidents"). Third, one word: lawsuits. America is lawsuit crazy.

Which way is better: demonstrating that you could have broken some guy's ribs or jaw at a testing but had enough control not to, or getting injured or injuring someone because you could not control your technique?

All of those are good points...points that I'm keenly aware of. We don't have alot of injuries in our organization. I think I've just had a bad luck streak. Also, I do like to train realistically...up to a point.

On a side note, I hear people talking about how they train hard full contact with no pads on MA boards all of the time. I approach these claims with a lot of sketicism. Why? Good technique will take you out. Safety must be taken into account or you can't continue training plain and simple.

Which way is better? Now that IS the question. I would like to show that my technique has power AND that I can apply. This may not be possible though...I like the bogu kumite set-up that karateka are using now. The body armor seems very durable yet flexible enough to keep it real. I may give that a try...

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's exactly why the younger, more powerful students are told to wear body armor during free fighting. Students who are known to have powerful technique wear hogu to minimize accidents. However, I've seen people sustain broken ribs even with it. Hogu can minimize, but not totally prevent, accidents. Same with headgear. Headgear will not prevent you from getting a broken jaw. Only good defense will do that.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD has brought up one of the best points of all. I think most of us have to go back to work the next day. Support families etc. When I did some training with my JJ friend we were practicing throws. One inparticular that I had practiced on the wrestling mat many hudreds of times. The result was my partner was a little too big, inexperienced as a good uke, when he went over he landed on my rib cage. It popped out my top 5 ribs from my sternum on my right side. Luckily for me I was actually scheduled for vacation that week and had 1 to recover. That was 4 years ago and still I have problems sleeping on my right side. If I weren't on vacation I would not have been able to work. The combination of Vicodin and Valium to get through the pain plus general breathing was difficult. Obviously I couldn't drive anywhere with those meds. together. That's the chances you take being in the martial arts.
My point is; If they were broken :idunno: who knows how long I would have been laid up for. What if I couldn't have been able to provide for my wife and children? Realistic is good but when it goes too far, I also question all of the full contact stuff all of the time.
Off my soapbox now.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
MichiganTKD has brought up one of the best points of all. I think most of us have to go back to work the next day. Support families etc. When I did some training with my JJ friend we were practicing throws. One inparticular that I had practiced on the wrestling mat many hudreds of times. The result was my partner was a little too big, inexperienced as a good uke, when he went over he landed on my rib cage. It popped out my top 5 ribs from my sternum on my right side. Luckily for me I was actually scheduled for vacation that week and had 1 to recover. That was 4 years ago and still I have problems sleeping on my right side. If I weren't on vacation I would not have been able to work. The combination of Vicodin and Valium to get through the pain plus general breathing was difficult. Obviously I couldn't drive anywhere with those meds. together. That's the chances you take being in the martial arts.

My point is; If they were broken :idunno: who knows how long I would have been laid up for. What if I couldn't have been able to provide for my wife and children? Realistic is good but when it goes too far, I also question all of the full contact stuff all of the time.
Off my soapbox now.

I always say, "To each their own," when it comes to training methods. Yet, I think that one comes to a point in their lives where the needs of your life out balance the wants of your training.

Personally, I've hit that wall and am starting to pass through it. I've got kids and a career and I am looking for that happy medium where I can take care of those who depend on me, enjoy life, and maintain that training "edge".

I don't have the perfect recipe yet, time will help. Gotta go. Baby needs a bottle...

upnorthkyosa

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I've got kids and a career and I am looking for that happy medium where I can take care of those who depend on me, enjoy life, and maintain that training "edge".

I don't have the perfect recipe yet, time will help. Gotta go. Baby needs a bottle...
Hey, when you figure it out let me know. :)

I'm always up for new ideas. My weight training is done on my lunch hour. I used to weight train at 5:30am and at 11am while martial arts training was done once everyone went to bed. That was way too tiring. Again, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. I try my best but the 7mo old needs help.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Yeah, but it wasnt that bad. And, it was a individual accomplishment not to be shared by all. Not all testing should be a open invitation for others to see. I mean, friends and family werent there for scholastic tests, such as spelling and math. And if the event was for future testing, why bother inviting people, whom may not share the same interest as you do? I am not speaking of a staged dance review or theatrical performance.

If people want to invite others to see such martial art testing, this is ok. But, such as one that has a aggressive display, I would think not.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Hey, when you figure it out let me know. :)

I'm always up for new ideas. My weight training is done on my lunch hour. I used to weight train at 5:30am and at 11am while martial arts training was done once everyone went to bed. That was way too tiring. Again, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. I try my best but the 7mo old needs help.
Hmmn, some of my training schedule is at Midnight to 3 am. Then I have to shower and sleep in order to awaken for 7am. On those mornings, it is something to get acclimatized to.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All kicks and variations thereof.
All forms, including naming each one.
All one-steps(basic selfdefense scenarios, 20 total) 5 knife defenses, 5 stick defenses 3 made up 1-steps
Collection of Korean phrases, lineage and associative info.
Sparring - 1 on 1, 2 on 1, 3 on 1, 1 on 1(2 minutes each)
4station break, two hands two kicks(techs decided by testing board), through 2 12x12 boards for over 16, 1 10x12 for under 16.
1 brick break.
must be standing at the end

Latest Discussions