What is a black belt test in your art like?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
1) How long (approximately) is a test for 1st degree black belt in your style with, say, two students testing?

2) Who tests you?

3) In what manner is the test conducted?

4) Besides application of technique, are their any other requirements? (words/phrases in foreign languages, culture etc.)

I'll start this one off:

1) A test should take between two and a half and three hours.

2) You're tested by two or three instructors, none of which are your instructor, who are each at least two ranks higher than the rank you're testing for.

3) You start off by showing the new techniques you learned for black belt, then brown, blue and so on. Then you shadowkickbox for a bit, and the there are sparring rounds, a fist fighting (slow and fast) full sparring (slow and fast) and a fight against two opponents.

4) The testers will question your techniques, even if they're right, just to see if you understand the logic behind what you're doing.

~ Loki

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Befor I left my parent organisation (for reasons haveing nothing to do with this thread) the last BB test we gave someone lasted about 6-8 hours, not counting lunch.
forms, endurance, sparring (fighting), selfdefence techs over and over again.
The test was conducted by various black belts at different times durring the day , with our instructor giveing thoughts as to what we might have forgot to have the tester due or what he wanted the tester to do next.
Oh yea I forgot then more SANCHIN and more Sanchin then more fighting

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Befor I left my parent organisation (for reasons haveing nothing to do with this thread) the last BB test we gave someone lasted about 6-8 hours, not counting lunch.
forms, endurance, sparring (fighting), selfdefence techs over and over again.
All that averages at 7 hours?! For two people?! Holy crap!!

~ Loki

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, indeed, a long had day . I always belived it was an endurance test more than anything else. If the person gave up he/she didn't get the belt, but if they continued no matter what they felt like they passed.
There used to be a few other things done at the testing but they passed by the way side years ago. One was haveing the student do sanchin at the anual tournament we held back in the 70's. All black belts at the tournament where asked to test the students form (back then we could have 150-200 black belts at the tournament)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Loki said:
1) How long (approximately) is a test for 1st degree black belt in your style with, say, two students testing?
2 - 3 hard hours.
2) Who tests you?
The head instructor and his instructor, closed doors and no one else comes in or out.
:idunno: I'm going to say Basics, Forms, Self-Defense techniques if that is what you were looking for in an answer.
4) Besides application of technique, are there any other requirements? (words/phrases in foreign languages, culture etc.)
Many verbal questions about anything. I do stress anything. :)
1) A test should take between two and a half and three hours.
Right.
2) You're tested by two or three instructors, none of which are your instructor, who are each at least two ranks higher than the rank you're testing for.
Yes 2 but one is the instructor.
3) You start off by showing the new techniques you learned for black belt, then brown, blue and so on. Then you shadowkickbox for a bit, and the there are sparring rounds, a fist fighting (slow and fast) full sparring (slow and fast) and a fight against two opponents.
Actually all basics, then all forms, sets, verbal, self defense. All material is spot checked from yellow to third brown. Then a majority of all brown then all black material is required.
4) The testers will question your techniques, even if they're right, just to see if you understand the logic behind what you're doing.
Correct.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loki said:

2) Who tests you?

4) Besides application of technique, are their any other requirements? (words/phrases in foreign languages, culture etc.)

This question might better be posed in the general forum instead of self-defense. Since there are like 4200 some members with most black belts, this might be a very long thread. Or you could post in the forums of arts that you are interested in. But I'll give it a go.

1) Usually there are two tests to black belt in TKD, ours is WTF style. For Recommended BB is one half of the requirements, six months later, then 1st dan. Each take about 3-4 hours.

2) Master 5th dan judges, panel of black belts 1st-2nd assist, not judge.

3&4) a. First is 200 rising kicks per leg-head level, 50 regular pushups,

b. For recommended, does four Taeguek forms (poomse) twice and picks one favorite. Continuous movement, full power. 1st dan does 10 Taeguek forms. Mess up, you re-do until stopped.

c. Slow motion kicks-3 minimum each and both legs, or until stopped. of front, round, side, spinside, spin heel to a count of 7 sec., holding two sec. and all chest to head level to a hanging ball target at chin height.

d. Self defense technique: 15 for recommended, all 30 for 1st dan.

e.45 kicking technique, more than half jumping, each 3 times per leg or until stopped to a standup bag or for some technique, over it.

f. Sparring 1 on 1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1. Usually black belts. 5 minute matches. One two minute rest between all those.

g. Breaking. I had to break for the two tests: knife-speed break-hand hold- through one 10 x 12 x 1" board, palm-3bds, jump spin heel speed break-2 finger hold-1 bd., 360 side kick-2 bds. For 1st: palm-concrete patio block, flying sidekick -3 bds, floor sweep speed break-1 bd.sitting on floor.

h. Paper on what TKD meant, has done for me, read to the panel.

i. Questions by the panel, could be regarding any of the tenets of TKD but not usually by this test. Courtesy, integrity, self-control, indomitable spirit, perseverance.

2nd dan test, similar, but ten more forms, harder breaking, harder sparring and side rising kicks-400 in addition at the beginning. TW

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
2) Who tests you?

The average black belt tests runs 4-5 hours. All tests at our school are for the individual, no group tests.

Testers are a minimum of 3 black belt instructors, with at least one studio head instructor present. Tests are formal, testers are allowed and expected to ask questions and to ask to see any form or tech again.

The candidate is tested on:
All basics (blocks, punches, kicks, stances) demonstrated
All empty hand and weapon forms and sets (14) up to 1st Black.
All self defense techniques (165) demonstrated in the air and on a person
Defense against spontaneous attacks in any combination of armed, unarmed or multiple person attacks.
Breakdown and analysis of forms, sets, and self-defense techniques.
Teaching ability and teaching method.
Knowledge of systems history and philosophy.
Full contact sparring with members of the judging panel.

Lamont

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
This question might better be posed in the general forum instead of self-defense. Since there are like 4200 some members with most black belts, this might be a very long thread. Or you could post in the forums of arts that you are interested in. But I'll give it a go.
You're right, shoulda been there. I was writing another post together with this one that should go on general self-defense, so I forgot to change forums. If a moderator/administrator could move it there, I'd be grateful.

~ Loki

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth, the last four points were me citing the test in my system. :rolleyes:

~ Loki

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
<<1) How long (approximately) is a test for 1st degree black belt in your style with, say, two students testing?>>

About 3 hours.

<<2) Who tests you?>>

I conduct the test and have 3-4 Black belts assisting.

<<3) In what manner is the test conducted?>>

Review of all basic, intermediate, and advanced techniques (strikes/blocks/kicks/joint locks/breakfalling)

One-steps/self-defense drills

Poomsae (all forms from Chung Do Kwan Kibon #1-Taeguek #8)

Sparring (full-contact i.e. Olympic style) against 1, 2, then 3 Black Belt opponents

Breaking-demonstration of basic techniques

Oral test-questions about history of art, Kwan, motivation for learning, goals, etc.

The students learn the Korean terms for techniques but I have not required them for testing purposes.

Miles

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Loki said:

1st degree is usually the longest and most physically demanding. I've seen them last anywhere from 4-8 hrs. In addition, I've also seen them done in different phases. In other words, every Saturday for a month there would be a different aspect of the test.

2) Who tests you?

The Head Inst. at the school, and a few of the Senior Black Belts.

Warm ups, punches/kicks in the air as well as on targets, SD, Kata, sparring, which includes mult. rounds, consisting of 1 on 1, and 2 on 1, a few 1 min. rounds on the heavy bag.

Usually for 1st degree, a written paper is required as well as a kata of the students creation consisting of a certain amount of moves. Explaination of the moves being done is also required.

Mike

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
2 - 3 hard hours.

The head instructor and his instructor, closed doors and no one else comes in or out.

:idunno: I'm going to say Basics, Forms, Self-Defense techniques if that is what you were looking for in an answer.

Many verbal questions about anything. I do stress anything. :)

Right.

Yes 2 but one is the instructor.

Actually all basics, then all forms, sets, verbal, self defense. All material is spot checked from yellow to third brown. Then a majority of all brown then all black material is required.

Correct.

Brother JF,

A question if I may. You stated "The head instructor and his instructor, closed doors and no one else comes in or out. " Does this mean:

1) All those there at the beginning of the test are allowed to watch but unable to leave?

2) Only the testers are allowed in the testing area, an no family and friends.

Just curious, as I see reasons for both sides depending . . .

S

safeeagle

I my art Black belt test takes about one hour. Covers about 100 techniques. No fees.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The tests vary from rank to rank, title to title.

For black belt dan ranking: - 1'st to 3'd dan - 4 hours,
4th dan- 3 hours,
5th dan & up - 2 hours.
For Instructor teaching title certifications:
Instructor - 1 1/2 hours,
Sensei - 2 hours,
Assoc. Professor - 2 hours,
Professor - two hours & 1 year evaluation.

Our view point about black belt ranking tests,
www.nekick1.homestead.com/editorials_1.html

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Meijin10 said:
The tests vary from rank to rank, title to title.

For black belt dan ranking: - 1'st to 3'd dan - 4 hours,
4th dan- 3 hours,
5th dan & up - 2 hours.
For Instructor teaching title certifications:
Instructor - 1 1/2 hours,
Sensei - 2 hours,
Assoc. Professor - 2 hours,
Professor - two hours & 1 year evaluation.

Our view point about black belt ranking tests,
www.nekick1.homestead.com/editorials_1.htmlhttp://www.nekick1.homestead.com/editorials_1.htmlhttp://www.nekick1.homestead.com/editorials_1.htmlhttp://www.nekick1.homestead.com/editorials_1.html
Nice viewpoint...

Out of curiousity, why do l1-3rd black belt test last longer than Instructor/Sensei.Assoc prof/Prof?

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan rank testing and Instruction certification's are done in seperate tests.
Dan ranks: These are for one's personal ability.
Instructors Certifications: Martial Arts theory and tactical theory have to be explained and demonstrate.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Meijin10 said:
Dan rank testing and Instruction certification's are done in seperate tests.
Dan ranks: These are for one's personal ability.
Instructors Certifications: Martial Arts theory and tactical theory have to be explained and demonstrate.
Sorry, it still doesnt make sense on why the "lower" black rankers spend more time?

Latest Discussions