American Killed at Olympics

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WE all knew it was going to happen just did not know this soon.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wow....I guess security ain't as tight as they say.

Any speculation on the repercussions?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400786,00.html

Security is incredibly tight (now it will be much more tight), but you put thousands of people together and you can't watch everyone and things can happen incredibly fast. And at tourist attractions, like the Bell tower, there is security but not like you would have at the Olympic venues, Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City

Until there are more details I cannot comment on anything. As to repercussions, again until there are more details there is no way of knowing.

It is incredibly sad news that is all I can say at the moment.

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow very sad for those people and my heart goes out to them and there families. Also I think it is very sad for China which is trying very hard to put on a great Olympics.
icon9.gif

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He said the two victims "were not wearing apparel or anything that would have specifically identified them as being members of our delegation" or as Americans.
Somehow, I am sure their Americanness showed...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Their Chinese tour guide was also stabbed.
It was on the BBC news, unofficial Chinese sources say the lone attacker was mentally ill, he threw himself off a building and died.
Bad things happen all over the world, while we are watching the Olympics the Russians are invading Georgia and hundreds possibly thousands are dying.
Of course condolences are due to the families but don't make a conspiracy out of one incident however tragic.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a lot of people tehre. Things will happen. It sounds like itw asn't directed at them specifically.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well you know what they say... we Americans all look alike! (sorry)

As for repercussions... the guy jumped to his death and not only were Americans injured but their Chinese tour guide as well. Shall we call it even? I'm sadden at the awfulness of the situation, especially after being wow-ed with 4 billion other people who watched the spectacular opening last night...
As it was said, they (security force) can't be everywhere and they can't prevent someone from snapping and going nuts.
I'm sure the Chinese government is deeply embarrassed at this event after all those kind things that were said during the opening ceremony. If there are any repercussions... wouldn't be surprised that the attacker's family get some... (discreetly of course).

Hopefully this will be the ONLY incident.
My heart goes to the family of both attacker and victim. The victims family for their loss and the attacker's family for the shame they must feel at this moment.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well you know what they say... we Americans all look alike! (sorry)

That is why I disguise myself as a Canadian. ;) (* For some reason most people think I am Canadian when I travel. *)

Hopefully this will be the ONLY incident.
My heart goes to the family of both attacker and victim. The victims family for their loss and the attacker's family for the shame they must feel at this moment.

I agree that we can hope no other loss of life will occur. And my heart also goes out to the families of those involved. :(

dart68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bad things happen everywhere. It just happened to be an american in China. This incident says nothing about the chinese people or the olympics. I mention that because I think that is the slant that will be taken by the news agencies.

It's a sad incident and we should feel for both families, nothing more.

Latest Discussions