American Kenpo Videos - Master Tabatabai

L

lifewise

I recently received a new Century Video catalogue and noticed a number of Kenpo and American Kenpo video products listed in it.

Master Mohamad Tabatabai has a two page section with several videos listed. Does anyone know Master Tabatabai, or seen the quality of these videos?

Just curious.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by lifewise

I recently received a new Century Video catalogue and noticed a number of Kenpo and American Kenpo video products listed in it.

Master Mohamad Tabatabai has a two page section with several videos listed. Does anyone know Master Tabatabai, or seen the quality of these videos?

Just curious.

I think Mr. Tabatabai's tapes are good. He does a good job of explaining the techniques within the forms with their corresponding names. They are professionally done and you can get all sets and forms. I only have one of his self defense tapes and its ok as well, maybe not as crisp as his original instructor (Mr. Tatum) who has some excellent self defense tapes, But you can definitely get the information from Mr. Tabatabi's tapes and I would say his forms/sets tapes are particularly good.

But that's my opinion, jb

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have Mr. Tabatabi's stick set tape. It is very good quality, easy to follow, and goes into detail. I havent seen any of his other tapes. Tim Bulot has a very good quick reference technique series. Mr. Bulot is a 4th or 5th under Tatum.

Gary Catherman

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

:asian:

I did at one time, way back in the day. Literally years ago, but I have since lost that link. It was pretty nice, could buy the tapes from there (at a discount) and there was a picture of his school and it told of his organization. But like I said that was years ago.

jb:asian:

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by jbkenpo

I think Mr. Tabatabai's tapes are good. He does a good job of explaining the techniques within the forms with their corresponding names. They are professionally done and you can get all sets and forms. I only have one of his self defense tapes and its ok as well, maybe not as crisp as his original instructor (Mr. Tatum) who has some excellent self defense tapes, But you can definitely get the information from Mr. Tabatabi's tapes and I would say his forms/sets tapes are particularly good.

But that's my opinion, jb

Thanks for the review jbkenpo. ;)

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by Kalicombat

I have Mr. Tabatabi's stick set tape. It is very good quality, easy to follow, and goes into detail.

Thanks Kalicombat, I will have to look for that one sometime. :D

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

yeah, it works. It just brings up a generic woodland hills kenpo advertisement

Woodland Hills Kenpo Karate
Address: 20929 Ventura Blvd. #26 Woodland Hills CA USA
Phone: (818) 992-6610
Mr. Mohamad Tabatabaei ...

jb:asian:

p.s. It is misspelled like that in the ad...

OP
T

tonbo

I have a couple of the tapes, both advanced and beginner, both empty hand and staff sets.

Mr. Tabatabai does a pretty darn good job, IMHO, in detailing the techniques and breaking them down. He does the same with his forms tapes. You get to see the various angles (the standard front and back most often), both full speed and slowed down. When doing the forms, he breaks down the actions pretty well, showing you what is happening in each case. Same with the techniques.

He also gives the occasional "what if" scenario, which is also nice.

I think the thing that I like most about tapes like his are when they do the slo-mo. It gives me a chance to see where additional openings are that might be exploited.

All in all, I'd give the tapes a good rating.

Peace--

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by lifewise

Just curious.

They are good reference material if you do the material that way, as far as direction and angles. His movements are a little choppy for my interpretation. If your teacher is skillful they could be an asset as far as raw material goes.

OP
T

tonbo

.....about the Tabatabai videos......

Is it just me, or does he seem to hold his energy really high up in his chest?

I would agree that his movements seem a bit "choppy" and less fluid than I am used to seeing, but I kinda figured that was just him. Seems to be the same with his "rooting"--it just seems a bit "high" for me, but then again......he's a bit higher up there in rank than I am, and I could be wrong....;)

Anyway, yes, the tapes are good as *reference* materials. Strong recommendation would be to watch the tapes, then ask questions of others about the techniques.

Peace--

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

chad did you notice the forms hand signals (on the Tatum vids)....?
:confused:

Are they different or something?

Question GD - The hand signals that signify which form you are doing start at short 3 or short 1?

OP
R

Rainman

chad did you notice the forms hand signals (on the Tatum vids)....?
:confused:

No I have not- I never have viewed his forms...

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93
Are they different or something?
Question GD - The hand signals that signify which form you are doing start at short 3 or short 1?

Yes, and or something!:rofl:

Every Form has hand signals......
Starting with Short Form # 1

Latest Discussions