America Vs Australia

Making sport of Americans does seem to be an international pastime. :D

Sometimes you make it too easy lol!
As the article rightly said Australians and Brits for that matter take a great delight in making fun of themselves, both countries like to put politicians in their place as well as anyone perceived as getting too big for their boots and both countries love the underdog. In America we see that high achievers are taken very seriously and there is little room for the bumbler or eccentric.
What I love is the Australians sense of fairness, the 'fair go', absolutely priceless.

It's a bit simplistic. Interesting to hear what the Aussies say about it.
I like the article. Personally, I do have a convict background on one side of the family. It was hidden from the family for more than a century. About 20 years ago it actually became fashionable to have a convict forebear. It doesn't fuss me one way or the other but it is interesting to do the research. In competitive terms as an Aussie, I hate to see our athletes beaten. (It's ok if a New Zealander wins occasionally, but not if it's a one on one contest.) It's never ok for the Poms to win as the they are the traditional foe (unless of course they beat the French or the Americans). It's not ok for the Americans to win either, except for Tiger Woods, 'coz he's pure class.
As for wiping your **** with the national flag ... it depends whose doing the wiping. If it was an Aussie and in the spirit of the occasion, fair enough. If it was a foreigner ... probably a different story. If I was in America, or any other country for that matter, I wouldn't dream of showing disrespect to that country or its people.
I have travelled reasonably widely including 3 times to the US and never encountered any animosity towards Australia, or Australians. Mind you, I'm not sure most Americans are even aware there is a place called Australia!!
I have never met an American who was not polite, gracious and friendly. So what's the beef against the US? Well, as a country they are not that friendly. We had our wheat export market threatened some years back, not by direct competition but as the US giving 'AID' to our trading partners in the form of 'FREE' wheat because the US had a surplus. Our manufacturers try to have a free market culture as is espoused by the US but in practice the US gives its industry massive protection in the form of subsidies, in particular against Australian steel. With friends like that we have no need of enemies!!
The last sentence of the OP article sums it up though. "We don't boo Yanks because they are better than us. We boo Yanks because they think they are better than us."

I like the article. Personally, I do have a convict background on one side of the family. It was hidden from the family for more than a century. About 20 years ago it actually became fashionable to have a convict forebear. It doesn't fuss me one way or the other but it is interesting to do the research. In competitive terms as an Aussie, I hate to see our athletes beaten. (It's ok if a New Zealander wins occasionally, but not if it's a one on one contest.) It's never ok for the Poms to win as the they are the traditional foe (unless of course they beat the French or the Americans). It's not ok for the Americans to win either, except for Tiger Woods, 'coz he's pure class.
As for wiping your **** with the national flag ... it depends whose doing the wiping. If it was an Aussie and in the spirit of the occasion, fair enough. If it was a foreigner ... probably a different story. If I was in America, or any other country for that matter, I wouldn't dream of showing disrespect to that country or its people.
I have travelled reasonably widely including 3 times to the US and never encountered any animosity towards Australia, or Australians. Mind you, I'm not sure most Americans are even aware there is a place called Australia!!
I have never met an American who was not polite, gracious and friendly. So what's the beef against the US? Well, as a country they are not that friendly. We had our wheat export market threatened some years back, not by direct competition but as the US giving 'AID' to our trading partners in the form of 'FREE' wheat because the US had a surplus. Our manufacturers try to have a free market culture as is espoused by the US but in practice the US gives its industry massive protection in the form of subsidies, in particular against Australian steel. With friends like that we have no need of enemies!!
The last sentence of the OP article sums it up though. "We don't boo Yanks because they are better than us. We boo Yanks because they think they are better than us."

Today..Rugby Union Scotland 9 Australia 8

_46776627_grovedelucagiteau_get_260.jpg

Bugger!!
icon11.gif
Then again ... is Rugby Union a real game? :p

Nah more like war but this score is worth a special note, it's the first time in 27 years the Scots have beaten the Aussies!!

Swimming..Rugby...better keep a tight grip on that Australian Rules Football.

Kidding. Kidding.

:)

Swimming..Rugby...better keep a tight grip on that Australian Rules Football.

Kidding. Kidding.

:)
Now you're talking!! There are 16 teams in the AFL and if you can get some decent teams together I would be be quite happy for you to beat 15 off them!
Go Pies!!
icon10.gif

(Explanation: AFL = Australian Football League
Football = Aussie Rules Football, the world's greatest team sport
'Pies' = The Magpies, the AFL's greatest team!
icon12.gif
)

Come on now, K-Man, you're just going to alienate most of the Aussies here with that kind of talk....

"Go Pies" indeed... If they ever get a cure for their Colli-wobbles, then maybe. But they'd still be Collingwood!

Come on now, K-Man, you're just going to alienate most of the Aussies here with that kind of talk....

"Go Pies" indeed... If they ever get a cure for their Colli-wobbles, then maybe. But they'd still be Collingwood!
Having followed them for over 50 years I can state categorically that the ups and more particularly the downs have certainly been character building.

For the un-initiated, Colliwobbles is a local term meaning to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, something Collingwood has done far too often in the past 50 years!

And, as can be seen from Chris' post, you either love them or you hate them.
icon10.gif

Aussie rules is great, the thing about that and rugby ( both sets of rules) is that they play without wearing huge sets of armour, they are real men's games lol!

That's a very interesting article, especially when one looks at how Aussies compare to other countries. Check out the top right corner of the page. Anyways, I'm still reading the analysis. Wow, they were hard on the Kiwis!

Aussie rules is great, the thing about that and rugby ( both sets of rules) is that they play without wearing huge sets of armour, they are real men's games lol!
Dammit! I'm mostly staying off the Study these days, but this slight cannot go unanswered! What's the average size of a Rugby player, and what's the normal 'manly' way of tackling?

ROFL! I bet he let go and the groin guard went 'ping' back in place!

This is how they tackle in Aussie Rules.

I enjoy Aussie rules, can't always get it on tele here but am glued to the screen when it is, a friend of mine who spends about 15 years in Oz then back here for 15 etc explained the rules to me. He's currently in Tasmania driving the Governor around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back