All we do is show up and take reports huh??

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.odmp.org/officer/20752-police-officer-john-falcone

Officer John Falcone was shot and killed after responding to a shots fired call on Main Street.

He was just over a block away when he received the call and when he arrived at the scene he encountered a man holding a 3-year-old child and waving a gun. The suspect fled, still holding the child, with Officer Falcone in pursuit.

Officer Falcone was able to rescue the child from the man and handed the child to a bystander before engaging in a struggle with the suspect as other officers arrived at the scene. During the struggle Officer Falcone was fatally shot in the head before the man committed suicide.

The subject's wife was found in a nearby car suffering from a fatal gunshot wound to the head.

Officer Falcone had served with the Poughkeepsie Police Department for 18 years. He is survived by his parents.

Police Officer John Falcone
Poughkeepsie City Police Department, New York
End of Watch: Friday, February 18, 2011

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
2011 continues apace.

As much as this hero deserves a memorial page, I present it in the spirit of defending the fact that we are NOT, revenue agents for the government, guys who only show up to take reports, people who only care about issuing tickets.

I throw this into the face of people who like to point to statistics that being an Alaskan Fisherman or a 7-11 clerk is "more dangerous" than being a cop. They can seriously compare people who die in accidents or as victims of crimes to people who willingly wrestle 3 yo hostages from deranged men and give their lives for it? They honestly believe that there is no difference between dying in service and dying in an industrial accident?

This man was a hero.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
2011 continues apace.

As much as this hero deserves a memorial page, I present it in the spirit of defending the fact that we are NOT, revenue agents for the government, guys who only show up to take reports, people who only care about issuing tickets.

I throw this into the face of people who like to point to statistics that being an Alaskan Fisherman or a 7-11 clerk is "more dangerous" than being a cop. They can seriously compare people who die in accidents or as victims of crimes to people who willingly wrestle 3 yo hostages from deranged men and give their lives for it? They honestly believe that there is no difference between dying in service and dying in an industrial accident?

This man was a hero.

Agreed! Its amazing, because I'd wager a bet that a good portion of the people out there, especially the ones who constantly bash the cops, have zero idea about the day to day life. Fact is, every time you put on the uniform, you're a walking target. Sad but true.

And yes, this man was a hero.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
And this happens all the time... average person just doesn't hear about it.

God bless him and his family.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just added 11 names to the 2011 memorial.

Officer John Falcone is on there.

As was Captain Daniel Stiles who was doing the mundane job of directing traffic, until someone not paying attention hit and killed him. Deputy Marshal Derek Hotsinpiller shot and killed serving a warrant. Officer Thomas Adams hit and killed while on patrol. The list sadly goes on.

I think that Crab fisher and ice road trucker are dangerous, really dangerous. But, you might lose 5-10 crabbers a year, 2-3 truckers. 100+ cops die every year, from accidents, and assault.

I worry about you guys (and gals). I add names but I don't know these people. I hope and pray I never have to add a name of someone I know.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a dangerous job we do, however, i'd be careful about trying to distinguish between officers who die wrestling with a gunman and 'industrial accidents', as over half of the officers going on the wall these days die from traffic related fatalities, which are basically 'industrial accidents'.

As for Officer John Falcone, we honor his courage and committment.......but i'd rather have been reading about a dead gunman. I don't want to go on that wall for any reason if I can avoid it. I'd love to retire unscathed. If the choice is between a child dying and me, i'll risk my life. If it's between a dead suspect and a live one, that should be a no-brainer.

Latest Discussions