Unlike fishermen and 7/11 workers...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
...who like to be trotted out as jobs "more dangerous" than being an LEO. They typically dont have to worry about this once they leave work.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/21373-chief-of-police-herbert-proffitt#ixzz252r0j5RS

Chief of Police (Ret) Herbert Proffitt was shot and killed from ambush in the driveway of his home by a man whom he had arrested multiple times over the past 40 years. He was walking down his driveway to check his mail when the subject drove up and opened fire, killing him.

The suspect fled the scene but was arrested several hours later.

It was later determined that Chief Proffitt had first arrested the man for domestic violence in the 1970s. The conviction resulted in the man spending several years in the state penitentiary. Chief Proffitt arrested the man several more times after his release from prison. When he was arrested for Chief Proffitt's murder, he had copies of the original citations in his possession.

Chief Proffitt was a U.S. Army veteran of the Korean War. He had served in law enforcement for 55 years, including as chief of the Tompkinsville Police Department and sheriff of Monroe County. He returned to work as a bailiff with the Monroe County Sheriff's Office after retiring the first time in 2000. He retired again in 2009 at the age of 79.

Read more: http://www.odmp.org/officer/21373-chief-of-police-herbert-proffitt#ixzz253XN2Eiu

Last edited:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is truly awful :(. I am so saddened to read of such a thing and it makes me ponder once more on the gulf between not only the life experiences of the British compared to the Americans but of just how different a world the police inhabit than most of the rest of us.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.lawofficer.com/article/tactics-and-weapons/how-protect-against-revenge-th-0

This column first appeared on PoliceOne.com.
Like most cops, Bob Willis considered his home a safe haven—until gang members tried to crash through his front door on Christmas Eve, and he ended up barefoot in the snow in a gunfight in his back yard.

That startling ordeal, which terrorized not only his family but a houseful of holiday guests as well, remains unsolved. But Willis, then a patrol officer in New Berlin, Wis., has no doubt it was a strike of revenge, and an ominous warning: Stop interfering with a roving band of armed robbers and opportunity predators his department was pursuing, or cops will pay.

The lessons from that violent assault—and from surprise attacks on officers elsewhere—are worth attention now in light of retaliatory threats around the country. Within the last year:

• The ATF announced a “credible threat” that the Aryan Brotherhood (AB) has ordered hits on five law enforcement officers in California and “possibly the Western states” for every AB member convicted of crimes in Los Angeles.
• Officers in two Maryland counties were cautioned that MS-13, a vicious Salvadoran street gang, is plotting to ambush and kill them.
• Officers in two California jurisdictions have reportedly been placed on the hit lists of two street gangs, one a Crips affiliate, because of members shot dead in police confrontations.

Revenge threats are nothing new in law enforcement. Most are meaningless—offenders blowing off steam because you’ve disrupted their lives or trying to leverage some influence for themselves through fear and intimidation.

But a deadly minority of threats prove all too real: the New York officer whose face was blown away in a shotgun ambush by a motorist incensed over a traffic ticket; the Canadian officer stabbed multiple times on courthouse steps by the vengeful brother of an offender he’d killed; the Hawaiian detective fatally shot through the window of his home in retaliation for a gang drug bust; and the East Coast officer warned to back off of a local drug gang by members who burst into his home and put a shotgun to his mother’s head illustrate just a few legacies of vengeance on record.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My perception is that many are paid just fine. I work at a university, and know exactly how much the officers are paid on our accounts, and it's reeeeeeeally sweet pay for most.

State pay for Mass state workers is listed on the Boston Herald page, and here is a sample of state police pay.

http://www.bostonherald.com/project...h=&department_name=Department of State Police

I'm sorry, but when a cop has to deal with retaliation on their wife and kids life? They are NOT paid enough. Put yourself in that position and tell me that your family's life is worth this compensation. I earn much more than anyone on that list and I don't have to worry about someone killing my family.

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't? I guess you haven't fired anyone lately.

I'm sorry, but when a cop has to deal with retaliation on their wife and kids life? They are NOT paid enough. Put yourself in that position and tell me that your family's life is worth this compensation. I earn much more than anyone on that list and I don't have to worry about someone killing my family.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't complain about what I make...many have it worse. Whats appreciated is the sentiment rather than an actual dollar amount.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think the idea of 'too much' is synonymous with 'paid enough'. I know of few people that don't buy into the delusion of 'relative deprivation', and so it seems many in all walks of life are busy negotiating work conditions and justifying higher pay. Knowing that my boss, a petty apparatchik living the soft life, makes $2500/wk would certainly justify in my mind a re-evalution of ALL state pay, the relative worth of experience and education, hours, contracts, etc. Funny tho', the guys making those decisions are politicians.

Considering you're theoretically on duty 24/7, how much pay is too much?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On of the main reasons I live over an hour away from where I work. I also live down a long dark road with few houses If someones following me home I hope I would notice. When I first started police work I had a guy I arrested for DUI started to tell me my address and described my apartment. Few hours later when my shift was over he was sitting on my street. I moved out of town and since then I put great thought into where I live and where I wont.
Ive taught my wife and kids that when we are in public and I say a certain word they are to do a certain action like hide, or run, or walk away from me. My kids know not to tell people what I do for a living. My wife knows how to shoot and knows how to use every gun we have.

So yeah not only are we on "duty" 24 hours a day but so is my family.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish I made what they make in Mass. When I started police work in 2001 I made 11.75 and hour. I made just under 70K last year.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My perception is that many are paid just fine. I work at a university, and know exactly how much the officers are paid on our accounts, and it's reeeeeeeally sweet pay for most.

State pay for Mass state workers is listed on the Boston Herald page, and here is a sample of state police pay.

http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/your_tax_dollars.bg?src=State2011#page=83&results_per_page=20&order_by=job_title%20desc&src=State2011&action=get_data&payroll_search=&department_name=Department%20of%20State%20Police

I'm surprised pay listings with names would be on a public web site, for any jobs. Can you point me to the listings of politicians in your state?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm surprised pay listings with names would be on a public web site, for any jobs. Can you point me to the listings of politicians in your state?
They do it once a year here our salary is public record so once a year someone decides we make too much and prints out pay for the year to show how over paid we are.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
They do it once a year here our salary is public record so once a year someone decides we make too much and prints out pay for the year to show how over paid we are.

Just like the military. When I hear people complaining about anyone having retired military pay and what a good deal that is, I always ask them if it is so good, why they didn't do it.

Same with police work. For those who talk about police pay, I would ask how many times do you have to get shot at before you want a raise? Won't even mention the verbal abuse or physical fights.

Most people get in police work because they enjoy the idea of keeping the peace. Who keeps the peace for police officers?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Most (I think all) government salaries and scales are a matter of public record. Freedom of information act info. Some foia requests have an associated fee, but it's all available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk