Alas, it's back to the long drive ...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After driving two hours per day each training day to the country for training we started, a few months ago, to work out in an MMA gym very near where I live. It was great when Real Life (barf) didn't keep me from training - which, unfortunately, has been all the darn time since 1/1/8.

Alas we are now defunct in that gym and have returned to the rocks and mountains where the students are rare, the drive hard on school-aged kids with massive homework.

Anyone else have a one-hour, one-way drive to training more than once per week?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been fortunate in that all the training I've down has been within 15 mins of my abode.

That may change in August, though, when I move south of here. If I stay at this dojo, it'll be a 45 min drive, easy, one-way.

On the other hand, if I return to TKD, it'll be 5 mins.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to drive 25 miles one way 3-4 times a week to train. I did this for 5 years. The gym closed. It was great while it lasted.

I wouldn't travel that far for less-than great training.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to hich hike 120 miles a night so a two hour drive seems small.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shesulsa I can feel for you, back in the seventies we drove 96 miles one way for training three times a week and then there was not that much traffic.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
During the Winter our teacher comes down to Vancouver. We have a ten mile drive to get to the student's garage where he holds class.

Now that it's getting warm class is at his house. That means an hour drive each way. It sucks, but it's worth it.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
About 30 minutes each way 3-4 times a week for us. We have a couple of students that DO make a one hour one way trip to train 2 times a week. However, Shesulsa, they aren't dragging school age kids with them. I feel for you. I'd find it hard to "empty my cup" with that kind of commute.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man, that sucks Geo. I have been fortunate enough to have found excellent schools with a few miles of my home. We do have other students at my current school that travel quite a distance though.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
G. my suggestion is that you find something nearer to your home. If you think about your objectives for training in the first place, hopefully there is somewhere closer. If not, then drive away. I drove 120 miles to train with my teacher for seven years. Sick? Yes. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was a time for about 2 years when I used to drive 35 miles each direction twice a week; more recently, it was 20 miles (35 minutes - nearly all freeway) each way, but only 3 miles from work, so I paid someone to walk my dog and didn't come home until after work. Now it's a "mere" 9 miles (20 minutes - all surface roads) each way. Thankfully, the class I teach is only 3 miles (5-10 minutes) from my house. But even as much as gas costs these days, good training is worth it to me.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh I'm not leaving the group nor my instructor. It's just *really* difficult to make that journey when gas is so high and all the behavior problems with my oldest and ... bleargh!

Venting mostly but curious about other folks and their commutes. :)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just one hour one way once per week....the other school is only 15 min. I guess I can't complain.

Latest Discussions