Air Rage

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since January first, 2021, the FAA has reported 2,500 reports of unruly passengers on airplanes including 1,900 concerning the federal mask mandate.

Let’s forget about the mask mandate for now. That still leaves 600 incidents of unruly passengers on planes.

And let’s forget about incidents on the ground.....

We’re all trained Martial Artists here. If you’re in the air, and someone goes off and assaults a flight attendant or tries to breache the cockpit - will you get involved?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah probably.

In the words of ice T.

"Why don't you have body guards?"

"What. And miss out on a fight?"

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A danger to anyone on a plane is a danger to everyone on the plane. In a very real sense, it's a lifeboat. As such, if someone becomes violent in my presence on a plane, I will evaluate the situation and take whatever action seems the most likely to end the violence quickly if I am in a position to do so.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A danger to anyone on a plane is a danger to everyone on the plane. In a very real sense, it's a lifeboat. As such, if someone becomes violent in my presence on a plane, I will evaluate the situation and take whatever action seems the most likely to end the violence quickly if I am in a position to do so.
Me too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Since January first, 2021, the FAA has reported 2,500 reports of unruly passengers on airplanes including 1,900 concerning the federal mask mandate.

Let’s forget about the mask mandate for now. That still leaves 600 incidents of unruly passengers on planes.
Why would we want to "forget about" over 75% of the reports?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And let’s forget about incidents on the ground.....

We’re all trained Martial Artists here. If you’re in the air, and someone goes off and assaults a flight attendant or tries to breache the cockpit - will you get involved?
If it’s not settled before I get out of my seat, probably. I’d like to think so, anyway.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I am mistaken, but don't they have Air marshal's on flights, for those situations?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I am mistaken, but don't they have Air marshal's on flights, for those situations?
You are mistaken. There are air marshals on SOME flights, not all. And they have been instructed NOT to get involved, out of the fear that being unruly could be used to reveal who they are, preparatory to a highjacking.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You are mistaken. There are air marshals on SOME flights, not all. And they have been instructed NOT to get involved, out of the fear that being unruly could be used to reveal who they are, preparatory to a highjacking.
Ah...I see.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Breach the cockpit yes, flight attendant...only if there is more than one attacking the flight attendant....as long as it isn't taken to far.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If it’s not settled before I get out of my seat, probably. I’d like to think so, anyway.
Me too.

Here's a question I have. Does being a trained martial artist matter here? What if you weren't a trained martial artist? Would you intervene?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Me too.

Here's a question I have. Does being a trained martial artist matter here? What if you weren't a trained martial artist? Would you intervene?
That's a lot more difficult to answer. Because you'd be a different person, and how would you know what a different person would do? I think helping someone who is being attacked, or helping to protect a plane full of victims, is a good thing. I'd like to think I'd do the good thing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's a lot more difficult to answer. Because you'd be a different person, and how would you know what a different person would do? I think helping someone who is being attacked, or helping to protect a plane full of victims, is a good thing. I'd like to think I'd do the good thing.
Me too. I would agree that trying to help would be a good thing. I'd like to think most people would intuitively agree, as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Me too. I would agree that trying to help would be a good thing. I'd like to think most people would intuitively agree, as well.
I think most would agree, but how many would follow through is debatable.
The 9/11 flights were hijacked by people using box cutters. That's a pretty low-lethality weapon. But how many people jumped on the hijackers?
We've spent a couple generations teaching people "don't fight back, do as you're told and they will go away", and as a result we've created a nation of victims.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The 9/11 flights were hijacked by people using box cutters. That's a pretty low-lethality weapon. But how many people jumped on the hijackers?
We've spent a couple generations teaching people "don't fight back, do as you're told and they will go away", and as a result we've created a nation of victims.
So, just to make sure I understand, you're saying that you should fight back and presume that the bad guy will not go away? If someone points a knife at you and says, "Give me your wallet." You would fight back? Every time? And that not doing so is just victimhood?

Huh. I'm pretty sure I've read self defense advice from "experts" on this forum that say the opposite.

I guess, if you're going to fight back, learning to fight would be a good idea. Maybe some of the folks in the aikido thread would benefit from hearing it from you.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, just to make sure I understand, you're saying that you should fight back and presume that the bad guy will not go away? If someone points a knife at you and says, "Give me your wallet." You would fight back?
Not fighting back until the guy actually attacked is how I lost an eye. On the two occasions that I've been confronted by a knife-wielding assailant since then, I attacked immediately. And emerged unscathed. So yes, it's quite likely that I would fight back.
Every time? And that not doing so is just victimhood?
How typically disingenuous of you, pretending you think I ever talk in absolutes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too.

I still think I would, though with less confidence in my ability to control someone.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prior to 9/11, that had been sound advice in a hijacking of that sort.

Latest Discussions