Air Rage

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not fighting back until the guy actually attacked is how I lost an eye. On the two occasions that I've been confronted by a knife-wielding assailant since then, I attacked immediately. And emerged unscathed. So yes, it's quite likely that I would fight back.

How typically disingenuous of you, pretending you think I ever talk in absolutes.
Just trying to figure out where the line is. I actually agree with you. I just don't think it's consistent with what self defense experts tend to say. Calm down and don't be so defensive.

But to be clear, you're the guy painting with a broad brush. A nation of victims is what led to 9/11? I'm not the one who believes that.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since January first, 2021, the FAA has reported 2,500 reports of unruly passengers on airplanes including 1,900 concerning the federal mask mandate.

Let’s forget about the mask mandate for now. That still leaves 600 incidents of unruly passengers on planes.

And let’s forget about incidents on the ground.....

We’re all trained Martial Artists here. If you’re in the air, and someone goes off and assaults a flight attendant or tries to breache the cockpit - will you get involved?
Yes.

I mean, it's easy to say but you don't know till you know. One time not so long ago a guy pulled a knife on a bus driver while I was riding the thing. Packed bus. Nobody moved. I teeped him right in the *** as he was bending over and put his head into the windshield. He dropped the knife, some other dude grabbed it. Then suddenly these two kids felt heroic and tackled the semi conscious crack head

/Anecdote

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
]
Just trying to figure out where the line is. I actually agree with you. I just don't think it's consistent with what self defense experts tend to say. Calm down and don't be so defensive.

But to be clear, you're the guy painting with a broad brush. A nation of victims is what led to 9/11? I'm not the one who believes that.
@dirty dog, you're so petty and predictable. 😂

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why would we want to "forget about" over 75% of the reports?
I just figured the mask mandate would eventually end. But you make a good point with that question.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Prior to 9/11, that had been sound advice in a hijacking of that sort.
That was my recollection, as well. Up to that point, folks didn't hijack planes to fly them into buildings.

But be careful with @Dirty Dog . He seems to be feeling disagreeable today.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just figured the mask mandate would eventually end. But you make a good point with that question.
If that's your point, I can see why you'd say it. People are generally cranky right now, and that might change. I don't think it's the masks, though.

Kooks are looking for weird ways to take principles stands on things they think are 'Merican, and once the masks are no longer an issue, it will be something else...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Interesting, BJJ, Judo, but consider the area you are working in...... those aisles are pretty darn thin. And as has already been mentioned...there is no ground...you're in the air already....but with that said... I'm all for the Flying armbars and flying triangles...but you need to add the Suplex... then you're good to go

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Suplex....don't forget the suplex

giphy.gif

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I would step into a physical confrontation to help or stop it. Especially if it was close to my family. I've been in a few similar situations. When it's physical I can't not step in. If however it's just some lunatic ranting about their moral superiority and how their correct pronouns are not being used or some such thing, as much as I would want to suplex them...no I wouldn't. Better to have the flight attendants defuse the situation. But when the situation becomes more than the flight crew can handle I think a martial artist has the obligation to help others.

D

Deleted member 39746

Since January first, 2021, the FAA has reported 2,500 reports of unruly passengers on airplanes including 1,900 concerning the federal mask mandate.

Let’s forget about the mask mandate for now. That still leaves 600 incidents of unruly passengers on planes.

And let’s forget about incidents on the ground.....

We’re all trained Martial Artists here. If you’re in the air, and someone goes off and assaults a flight attendant or tries to breache the cockpit - will you get involved?

You do nothing, as you cant do anything and its not in your job and pending how the laws are worded you could be doing hijacking yourself. Pretty sure flight attendents have to at least do a minor unit in restriants or something in some places now days anyway. Even just by numerical standards there are usually more than one flight attendent and usually only one person who ends up doing that or maybe two.

If we look at actual hi jackings, i think the attempted cock pit breached by passangers have been done when it becomed apparnt is a sucide attack and not just seizing a plane of hostages. (if its hostages, your best bet is to just shut up and wait honestly) And if it goes horribly and you surive, petition your government for better trained police/responses for such incidents.

addendum: this is all presuming you dont have a armed police constable on your plane and they deal with the person as well. I dont know what their deployments look like, they are protected either by open secret policy or actual secret law.