Aikido.. The reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
what happens if your class doesn't have any morbidly obese people in ? then your clearly

The point is that if you get used to throwing/grappling heavy people under duress, it makes it easier to throw/grapple with heavy people under duress.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We can look at the George Floyd case, the Jacob Blake case, and the Rayshard Brooks case to showcase how valuable ground fighting can be for law enforcement.
That's completely ridiculous and isn't even close to relevant to the conversation.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are far more than one or two people in the world who can pull off the techniques live, that's more fud. Most police defensive tactics courses at a local and national level rely equally on Aikido, Judo and BJJ. I've seen plenty of other officers make this stuff work and you have had two LEO's here tell you the same. We've linked the videos back and forth, Rokas even changed his opinion to the fact that its a training issue. We can argue over how practical or effective something is or why you might want to use an aikido technique over something else, but its the same subjectivism we have been going round and round about.

Pain compliance, controlled throws and locks, less lethal force is a good tool to have in the toolkit. You want to spend the least amount of time training to learn how to fight? Not Aikido's thing, worst choice you could make. Want to learn how to protect yourself and maybe not hurt the guy trying to hurt you? Now we walk into the realm of where Aikido has something to offer. The bokken techniques were adapted from bayonet fighting and they work for weapon retention techniques, so they get used by the military. The chances of you getting rushed by a drunk, ESPECIALLY as a bouncer is much likelier than you having to go three rounds in the octagon as someone who doesn't compete. Aikido may be a terrible choice to fight off a pack of ninjas but thankfully, most of us will never have to do that. Punch a guy, even as a bouncer defending yourself and the guy falls and cracks his skull, you are going to jail. I know its easy to dismiss, but there's reasons for it, maybe not for you, but I'm very happy with the time and energy put into it and out of everything I have trained, I have used the Aikido and Judo by far more than anything else.

Ok show me five actual Aikido guys pulling off Aikido techniques live.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's completely ridiculous and isn't even close to relevant to the conversation.

All three of those incidents resulted from a lack of skill in ground fighting and controlling an assailant on the ground. If those cops knew some, those incidents may not have occurred.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
More to the point, IMO - you don't know how prepared you are. You might be quite good, but wouldn't know it. You might also be quite bad and not know it.
If this was something simple, like making a grilled cheese sandwich, sure. But this is a complex skill set. It's like practicing tight rope walking by walking along a 12" wide wall that's 36" above the ground, and then trying to walk an actual tightrope 100' up without a net. There are a lot of in between steps that any reasonable person would take, that for some reason go out the window when we talk about martial arts.

To answer your question, you won't be well prepared. You might not die, but statistically that is likely anyway.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
All three of those incidents resulted from a lack of skill in ground fighting and controlling an assailant on the ground. If those cops knew some, those incidents may not have occurred.
Only thing I'll say about this is that George Floyd didn't die because Chauvin didn't know BJJ. Lack of grappling skills wasn't Chauvin's deal.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The point is that if you get used to throwing/grappling heavy people under duress, it makes it easier to throw/grapple with heavy people under duress.
And the first time you do it, it's nice of the stakes are a little lower than a mugging.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only thing I'll say about this is that George Floyd didn't die because Chauvin didn't know BJJ. Lack of grappling skills wasn't Chauvin's deal.

True. I’m thinking that if they knew BJJ Chauvin or the other cops would have known not to use that hold for as long as they did(assuming he wasn’t trying to murder him, which I believe he was).

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is by far the dumbest thing I have ever read anywhere on the internet. Congratulations. It would be funny if you werent misrepresenting the deaths of innocent people for shock value in a forum post. This is not only not relevant to the conversation, its just down right in poor taste and shows an extreme lack of maturity on your part. Please have the self awareness to feel an appropriate measure of shame or at least drop this particular subject because Im not going to participate in it with you. We are here to talk about Aikido.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most police defensive tactics courses at a local and national level rely equally on Aikido, Judo and BJJ. I've seen plenty of other officers make this stuff work and you have had two LEO's here tell you the same

Yeah but I want Aikido guys to be doing this.

And not this.

The first video is convincing. Not assurances with nothing to back it up. Dillman no touch ko guy makes assurances. And his stuff is pure fantasy.

Otherwise there is a lot of police training that is quite simply terrible. A lot of cops hate it. So the inclusion in a police defensive tactics course is not on its own a very good endorsement.

I am not sure why the resistance to just showing stuff working. It seems that is the hardest thing in the world. As if I am expected to take people on face value without fact checking them.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you REALLY not see the incredible irony of you correcting anyone on their use of the English language?
your not big on detail yourself, i havent corrected him, that would require me to provided the alternative, rather than point out that he may be in error

are you aware of the meaning of " correcting" ? it would seem not

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sort of. Positional asphyxia can just be a combination of top pressure and meth.

I

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is by far the dumbest thing I have ever read anywhere on the internet. Congratulations. It would be funny if you werent misrepresenting the deaths of innocent people for shock value in a forum post. This is not only not relevant to the conversation, its just down right in poor taste and shows an extreme lack of maturity on your part. Please have the self awareness to feel an appropriate measure of shame or at least drop this particular subject because Im not going to participate in it with you. We are here to talk about Aikido.

Thank you for continuing to show your ignorance. Anyway here’s an article on the topic;

Police Officer Uses Flawless Jiu-Jitsu to Subdue Vandal

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sort of. Positional asphyxia can just be a combination of top pressure and meth.

I

Outside of the Floyd case, the other two incidents occurred because the cops lost control of the assailant on the ground, and the assailant walked or ran away from the cops. The police then shot both assailants as they were escaping.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Outside of the Floyd case, the other two incidents occurred because the cops lost control of the assailant on the ground, and the assailant walked or ran away from the cops. The police then shot both assailants as they were escaping.
it would seem the deaths happened because they shot them, that may or may not, ,have happen if the cops new bjj, but it most definitely wouldn't have,happen if they hadnt shot them as they ran,

as a,solution to stop unnecessary deaths, not shooting seems a lot easier to implement and also 100% reliable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions