Aikido test...passed...LOL

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, at a seminar this past weekend and of course, this is when testing occurs, I've been ready to test for some time (way overdue actually), but simply haven't done it, but decided to this weekend.

So, get called out to test, and my uke and I proceed through the ritual, and then start the test. Now, I've taken several pre-tests, and know all of the techniques for the test, including a few variations of each one (Sensei is well known to ask you "Can you do that another way?").......

The first several techniques go well, and I am doing them exactly as I know....all of a sudden, the test changes. He starts asking for techniques that I know...but aren't on this test, all of them more advanced.

Then it happened.....Ushiro Tekubi Tori Shihonage. NOW....I know how to multiple techniques out of the Ushiro Tekubi Tori attack, and I know multiple variations of shihonage.....but.....I've never done this technique...not once. Never in practice....it just never came up.

I froze for a second, and my uke later said my eyes got really wide, then I thought about it, and executed it in both omote and ura mutliple times.

I passed....but cripes, for that one very, very long second I was like crap......

I see my primary sensei afterwards and I said...."Well, I hope that ushiro tekubi tori shihonage was right, cause I was making that up as I went along...." He laughed and said "Actually, you nailed it, that's the exact technique".......Guess luck goes a long way.

The change in techniques was okay I guess. Several of the senior yudansha said that I was nailing the test material so well that he knew I had that down, so, he decided to see what else I knew and to throw some things at me, and that I nailed them...one of them also commented that I am probably still 2 ranks below where my ability is right now....

So...that's done at least.

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Congrats!

What rank were you testing for?

5th kyu. To be honest, I'm probably practicing more at a 3rd kyu level, and I've been eligible forever....but, eh, rank is not as important to me. At some point though, you do need to test. I'll test for 4th next spring.

By USAF you need days (NOT hours, you can practice an our or 6 hours, it only counts as one day)

20 days 6th kyu
40 days 5th kyu (I had almost 1.5 years)
80 days 4th kyu
100 days 3rd kyu
200 days 2nd kyu
300 days 1st kyu
300 days shodan
400 days nidan

By their calendar, practicing 3 days/week, it'll take me, if I test when able (only at seminars) about 13 years total to reach shodan....

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
5th kyu. To be honest, I'm probably practicing more at a 3rd kyu level, and I've been eligible forever....but, eh, rank is not as important to me. At some point though, you do need to test. I'll test for 4th next spring.

By USAF you need days (NOT hours, you can practice an our or 6 hours, it only counts as one day)

20 days 6th kyu
40 days 5th kyu (I had almost 1.5 years)
80 days 4th kyu
100 days 3rd kyu
200 days 2nd kyu
300 days 1st kyu
300 days shodan
400 days nidan

By their calendar, practicing 3 days/week, it'll take me, if I test when able (only at seminars) about 13 years total to reach shodan....
How often do they have seminars?

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, at a seminar this past weekend and of course, this is when testing occurs, I've been ready to test for some time (way overdue actually), but simply haven't done it, but decided to this weekend.

So, get called out to test, and my uke and I proceed through the ritual, and then start the test. Now, I've taken several pre-tests, and know all of the techniques for the test, including a few variations of each one (Sensei is well known to ask you "Can you do that another way?").......

The first several techniques go well, and I am doing them exactly as I know....all of a sudden, the test changes. He starts asking for techniques that I know...but aren't on this test, all of them more advanced.

Then it happened.....Ushiro Tekubi Tori Shihonage. NOW....I know how to multiple techniques out of the Ushiro Tekubi Tori attack, and I know multiple variations of shihonage.....but.....I've never done this technique...not once. Never in practice....it just never came up.

I froze for a second, and my uke later said my eyes got really wide, then I thought about it, and executed it in both omote and ura mutliple times.

I passed....but cripes, for that one very, very long second I was like crap......

I see my primary sensei afterwards and I said...."Well, I hope that ushiro tekubi tori shihonage was right, cause I was making that up as I went along...." He laughed and said "Actually, you nailed it, that's the exact technique".......Guess luck goes a long way.

The change in techniques was okay I guess. Several of the senior yudansha said that I was nailing the test material so well that he knew I had that down, so, he decided to see what else I knew and to throw some things at me, and that I nailed them...one of them also commented that I am probably still 2 ranks below where my ability is right now....

So...that's done at least.
Luck Is for losers you are clearly better than what you give yourself credit for . Well done and never stop learning.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats, man, well done.

Latest Discussions