Wow, Aikido lesson tonight.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Were only 3 of us.

Sensei (Shodan), a 1st kyu who practices a harder style, and myself.

It was like a private lesson. Shihonage, both from Ai Hanmi, as well as from a blend, using a strike from an Ai Hanmi stance to move into a shihonage. Also practiced Kokkyo, as well as kaitenage from a punch.

I'm going to be sore. I appreciate my partner (1st kyu), as he studied daito ryu aiki ju jutsu prior to aikido, and he prefers to do things with resistance. He feels that it teaches you to do the technique properly. If you miss it, even slightly, you can't move him, if you get it right.....down he goes.

Great lesson, great night. Going to need some ibuprofen in the morning....damn.

Mike

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my hapkido class, we practice both a basic "go with it" to learn the techniques and then do sparring where we resist. I do better in the first part :p

Having only one or two other students is always a great class.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my hapkido class, we practice both a basic "go with it" to learn the techniques and then do sparring where we resist. I do better in the first part :p

Having only one or two other students is always a great class.

It can indeed be good. But when I was in Korea, several of us (three) talked our Grand Master into giving us a class at noon time. Class consisted of among other things, a lot of kicks. We would line up and do the prescribed kick, and move to the rear of the line. Nothing unusual about that, it's done all the time. Well his way to do things was that there was a certain amount of time allotted for each phase of instruction; meditation (short), stretching, exercising, kicks including multiple series kicks, and techniques. So, if there were going to be time for each person to do, say 20 kicks, but I was the only one there, I got to do all 60. We have a lot of kicks in the Hapkido I learned. Some running and jumping, but more low and dropping kicks. The other two weren't as faithful about attendance. I used to beg them not to miss class. :duh: :lol:

One day when I had had flu for about a week, the other two did not show up. I thought I was going to drop, but I couldn't quit. One doesn't do that in front of a Grand Master. Fortunately he was a compassionate man, and a good judge of endurance. Just before I was sure I was going to pass out, he called for me to take a break.

But it was great to have that one on one time with a Grand Master.

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Jeepers, I am sore today. A good sore, but there will be some biofreeze in my future tonight. LOL.

Latest Discussions