Aikido Journal and Aikido Expo/Russian Aiki

Are you a former Aikidoka because of Systema, or had you stopped training Aikido before you found out about Systema?

I gave up aikido because of systema. At first when I came to Toronto I had wanted to train in both systems, but after two weeks of training in systema, I realized that I had found the right way when it comes to martial arts. This was what I had been looking for all my life. Even my randori was more like systema before I even knew about systema. This was frowned upon by my teachers who insisted on purity of technique while I was doing natural movements.

I'm a nobody. Check out James Williams, Arthur Sennott, Martin Wheeler, Furtry and Rob Poyton's background as well as Ken Good among many others.

I wouldn't call my self a convert as I always new, due to real life experiences, that the other MAs I had studied were unrealistic.
I'm not putting them down, in fact I respect them a great deal, as it's a learned skill that takes allot of character to develop and vie versa.
Systema synergies everything in my life not just the study of MA.

I have found Systema to be the best 'living' expression of a complete, modern 'warrior way' of life. (Note: BujinKan Nin-Po, to me, is the best of the 'classical' type that I studied).
I will celebrate my 40th year of study of 'the arts' this October...it's been an interesting path from my first ShotoKan/Judo lessons at the Boy's Club of Flatbush, Brooklyn- back in 1963. I have been privaleged to study under many great practitioners in many of the world's combative methods...all fascinating studies. I accumulated numerous dark colored bands of cloth, patches, gloves, and other 'rank' designations and memorabilia but more importantly...I have, from my practice, enjoyed an exciting life.
I 'work' Systema now (still look in on old friends from time to time) and know that this is my 'home' and where I will remain for the remainder of my days. The methods are so different from my previous studies...the people involved so unique and genuine...I am a happy lil' warrior now.

Back