Aikido has no reason to prove itself!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't understand. Why don't you guys just kick the knife out of the bad guy's hand?
I believe that's what the inside crescent kick is designed for. If you have shoes on, that's much safer than to use your hand. I still remember that in high school, we trained to use the inside crescent kick to slap opponent's face. IMO, the outside crescent kick (or hook kick) can also do the job.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You get bonus points if you can make the knife stick in a wall across the room.
For some reason, I'm now remembering a scene in a MA movie where one of the heroes uses a sawblade as a throwing star. Kills a guy, then says "Thank god for Black & Decker." No idea why this post brought that to mind.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that's what the inside crescent kick is designed for. If you have shoes on, that's much safer than to use your hand. I still remember that in high school, we trained to use the inside crescent kick to slap opponent's face. IMO, the outside crescent kick (or hook kick) can also do the job.
Well that is it, we found the secret ingredient that Hapkido has and Aikido doesn't, crescent kicks.. LOL.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Some of the older Hapkido Systems do high kicks and jump spinning kicks. The system I'm in uses low kicks, we don't even teach the high ones. Highest kick I see routinely is maybe solar plexus level, most are groin or knees.
yeah ok...fair one.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well that is it, we found the secret ingredient that Hapkido has and Aikido doesn't, crescent kicks.. LOL.
I did see a guy one time try a head kick outside a bar after a lot of ranting about being a kick boxer... he got his *** whooped ! and this was by a non martial arts guy.
It all looks great in Tae Kwon Do the board breaking and high kicks which is the Korean tradition but flying kick are not needed. we do not need to kick horse riders off their horse these days.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
anyway i´m more of a built small guy at 5 7" and i pack a good right hand. most fights i win in a couple of punches.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You get bonus points if you can make the knife stick in a wall across the room.
It works:
But my personal opinion is that it is better to control hand with the knife.
But everything can happened in the fight.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It works:
Well, of course it worked in this video. For two reasons:

1. He was keeping his hand out there in place so that she could kick it. No knife wielding attacker is just going leave his hand there.
2. Because of #1, she had all the time in the world to determine the correct distancing and to generate the necessary power in the kick to get the knife out. You're not going to have that in a real scenario.

In my estimation, knife-wielding attackers are already taking into account the possibility that their victim will try to wrestle the knife away from them, so the expectation should be that the attacker will have a firm grip on that knife.

The other thing I'll add is that if there's enough distance between you and the attacker to kick the knife out, then the attacker is not close enough to attack you with the knife. I can't imagine an attacker displaying the knife before closing that distance. Displaying it before closing that distance gives the victim time and space to run. And the attacker knows this. What the attacker will likely do is get close enough to the victim to stab them if they try to run, before displaying the knife. They'll be too close for you to kick their hand like that.

Last edited:

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1. He was keeping his hand out there in place so that she could kick it. No knife wielding attacker is just going leave his hand there.
Many knife wielder keeps hand in front - especially if they do not want to attack for real- just to show the knife and intimidate the victim. Or for the defence purposes - to drive the opponent away - once ( about 25 years ago) during tussle with naziskinhead my coleague and I chased one nazi to the corner of the bus stop, he pulled out a knife and waved blindly in front of him, so we couldn't get him withou high risk.

A few stones from 3-4 metres closed the case...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It works:
It's worth noting in that test, he was holding it to try to stop that from happening. He was holding tight. It probably takes less than that to make it release in most cases, because unless someone is raging in place (not much movement), it's really unlikely they are holding as tight as that. I've seen knives knocked out of grip in training enough to believe it's very possible. Maybe even a target of opportunity in some cases, but not something to depend upon.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, of course it worked in this video. For two reasons:

2. Because of #1, she had all the time in the world to determine the correct distancing and to generate the necessary power in the kick to get the knife out. You're not going to have that in a real scenario.

In my estimation, knife-wielding attackers are already taking into account the possibility that their victim will try to wrestle the knife away from them, so the expectation should be that the attacker will have a firm grip on that knife.

The other thing I'll add is that if there's enough distance between you and the attacker to kick the knife out, then the attacker is not close enough to attack you with the knife. I can't imagine an attacker displaying the knife before closing that distance. Displaying it before closing that distance gives the victim time and space to run. And the attacker knows this. What the attacker will likely do is get close enough to the victim to stab them if they try to run, before displaying the knife. They'll be too close for you to kick their hand like that.
Most of that was actually covered in the video.

As for the last point, it's unlikely an attacker is holding as hard as he can at most times (perhaps during an actual stab, especially if they have training/experience), simply because it's an unnatural way to hold. If they are at distance like this, they probably aren't gripping as tight as he was.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A surprise sewing machine style knife attack is my worst nightmare. I've not seen much of anything short of wearing ring mail or something that would stop the first couple of stabs.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Fighting on the streets. He does it all the time. And with punches, even though he's a yondan in kosen judo.
OK i will explain it to you and please leave out your sarcastic comments.
First of all i do not do it all the time but my experiences have shown me that to shock the opponent you need a fast hard punch. Even in Aikido you use Atemi to distract the opponent.
Sometimes in a close quarter situation you can use an upper cut which has always worked for me. If he goes down and is not a threat why would i roll around a street with him? Also there might be other opponents.
I hope this helps bro

Latest Discussions