Aikido has no reason to prove itself!

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh, Jesus. This is like saying "real men carry purses" or "real men do (insert thing usually associated with women here)." It takes someone from a rural area to say something like this. I tell you what: go the nearest hood and show a few guys there some videos of aikido. Then ask them if they're intimidated by it.
This is so wrapped up in fantasy its just silly. Do you walk around your city "intimidating" people with videos of your martial arts?

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, getting smashed by pretty much everyone cultivates a realistic understanding of your relative skill level. But that's all made possible through application. A BJJ school that discourages competition and doesn't engage with the larger BJJ community will see skill level diminish very quickly. Within a few generations of black belts, I would expect that school to feel a lot like how @Shatteredzen describes Aikido schools. Fortunately, this doesn't happen often and where it does, the schools are well known.
Except discussions like these where someone takes an absolute position like "that style doesn't work" don't happen in martial arts gyms where the person making such a claim can be readily disabused of their viewpoint and people with experience know not to make such claims. These types of "x style is bad" discussions only happen on the internet. Also, the bad schools problem is a thing in most arts, its just much more pervasive in some, hence I have suggested more schools should adopt a more open approach like BJJ has to pressure test and clear the air. The problem is, you have a community of people making a living peddling their art, if all martial arts gyms held themselves accountable, we would have many fewer gyms than there are in all styles.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Except discussions like these where someone takes an absolute position like "that style doesn't work" don't happen in martial arts gyms where the person making such a claim can be readily disabused of their viewpoint and people with experience know not to make such claims. These types of "x style is bad" discussions only happen on the internet. Also, the bad schools problem is a thing in most arts, its just much more pervasive in some, hence I have suggested more schools should adopt a more open approach like BJJ has to pressure test and clear the air. The problem is, you have a community of people making a living peddling their art, if all martial arts gyms held themselves accountable, we would have many fewer gyms than there are in all styles.
If you weren't so pugnacious, I think you'd realize we agree on more than we disagree. You're approaching every single post girded for battle.

As I said earlier, it sounds like you at least intend to try and make Aikido more practical. I still don't quite know how successful you'll be or how you intend to do it, but I sincerely wish you luck.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My statement is based on experience, there's no need to test it, it comes from observation. When my son suggests fanciful things based on childish notions I still correct him too.
Lies. When I was coming up, I lived in two housing projects, and three trailer parks. Places where everyone has real fighting experience, whether they wanted it or not. Hell, Hampton VA may not be Detroit, but it's not exactly known for being low crime either. And I can tell you that you have no clue what you're talking about. Walk into any hood, show Big Pookie a video of some ineffective martial art, and it will be called out accordingly.

Last edited:

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lies. When I was coming up, I lived in two housing projects, and three trailer parks. Places where everyone has real fighting experience, whether they wanted it or not. Hell, Hampton VA may not be Detroit, but it's not exactly known for being low crime either. And I can tell you that you have no clue what you're talking about. Walk into any hood, show Big Pookie a video of some ineffective martial art, and it will be called out accordingly.
I know, all those ninja street fights out there in the mean streets of Hampton, VA, I'm sorry bro it sounds like you had it rough. Did big Pookie take your fanta and make you tuck your chain in? I'm sensing a great story.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you weren't so pugnacious, I think you'd realize we agree on more than we disagree. You're approaching every single post girded for battle.

As I said earlier, it sounds like you at least intend to try and make Aikido more practical. I still don't quite know how successful you'll be or how you intend to do it, but I sincerely wish you luck.
It's not so much pugnacious as direct. If we were speaking face to face I'd be making goofy faces and doing a bunch of poses and you would see me laughing and joking. The internet loses a lot of this in translation.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know, all those ninja street fights out there in the mean streets of Hampton, VA, I'm sorry bro it sounds like you had it rough. Did big Pookie take your fanta and make you tuck your chain in? I'm sensing a great story.
I am Big Pookie.

And you're dismissing what you have no experience in. But look on the bright side: at least a guy from a podunk town of 13K agrees with you.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am Big Pookie.

And you're dismissing what you have no experience in. But look on the bright side: at least a guy from a podunk town of 13K agrees with you.
Right, here we go on the assumption train to Neverland.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
C'mon fellas, calm down, don't get irritated, it's all good.
It's fine here, once again, that internet translation thing, if we were in person we could have the same discussion and it would all be giggles and good natured ribbing with an offer to roll around on a mat in good fun to demonstrate talking points or play grab ***. My apologies that this part of my personality doesn't translate to text. Urban also seems like he isn't crying into his beer either, judging by his laugh emoji. I can't speak to the other end of the conversation but there's no hard feelings on this end.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
C'mon fellas, calm down, don't get irritated, it's all good
Yes, it's all good. Here's what I want everyone to know: I understand and respect everyone's need to save face. So if I think that a debate is starting to go where it shouldn't, and I see that someone is trying to save face - even if I believe they're in the wrong - I'll try to create an opportunity for them to exit the argument with their ego intact.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it's all good. Here's what I want everyone to know: I understand and respect everyone's need to save face. So if I think that a debate is starting to go where it shouldn't, and I see that someone is trying to save face - even if I believe they're in the wrong - I'll try to create an opportunity for them to exit the argument with their ego intact.
I don't think face came up in that conversation, there was certainly a lot of posturing, but I don't remember having my parking validated, was I supposed to ask for the stamp at the main desk?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting.

I’m having some difficulty grasping how this is at all relevant. Go to someone’s neighborhood, show some random fellows a video and ask them if it frightens them. Somehow, their response is supposed to guide my choice of what martial art I should train?

interesting.

Yeah. When technically you could go anywhere and see the same results.

I don't know many reputable fighters who think Aikido has much merit.

Latest Discussions