puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for my 1st Dan, and our TKD school looks to be losing the instructor. I've been asked by our head instructor in a different town to step in.

Is this a commercial school? Would this be your full time job?

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is this a commercial school? Would this be your full time job?

Well I'm an engineering student so no. Would probably teach around 8 hours a week. As for commercial, I guess so but I don't expect much profit from it. I don't care about the money at all honestly. TKD means too much to me to get caught up in profit.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
My dojang had quite a few "helper" blackbelt instructors who were young. One, I was surprised to find out, had his father drive him to/from the dojang. I sought his advice and it was always sound. I was always really surprised at how mature this guy's were for their ages. I often thought that they would make excellent employees no matter what the career.
Thats a very good point and this in itself is a credit to martial arts. Everytime I meet an 18 or 19 year old black belt they are always mature beyond their years and I belive this is why so many parents choose to put their kids in MA's, as I have done with my children. When I needed a new apprentice for my business a few years ago, the first thing I did was approach young black belts from my club because I knew they would be reliable with a level head and good work ethic. Currently 2 of my apprentices train in tkd with me and they make excellent employees.

TKD Scotland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thats a very good point and this in itself is a credit to martial arts. Everytime I meet an 18 or 19 year old black belt they are always mature beyond their years and I belive this is why so many parents choose to put their kids in MA's, as I have done with my children. When I needed a new apprentice for my business a few years ago, the first thing I did was approach young black belts from my club because I knew they would be reliable with a level head and good work ethic. Currently 2 of my apprentices train in tkd with me and they make excellent employees.

I'm only just turned 16, and approaching 1st dan black belt. People that are the same age as me, like school friends etc, often compliment the fact that I'm apparently a wise head on young shoulders.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hehehehehehe

have I been found out? :D

Looks that way! :)

On a less serious note, what about swearing like a pirate? Bad habit but it's hard to kick especially with that being standard in my Judo dojo. Innuendo and all. :D

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As instructor?

Nope, can't turn the air blue.

And especially no innuendo.

Naturally, the shades of gray (or blue) depend on the context. My instructor turned red as a beet with the slightest innuendo (as dark skinned African American, that was quiet a color change) and he would have had a massive coronary in the face of heavy swearing. But he was just that pure :)

But the innuendo gets you into hot water down the road as instructor/boss or whatever.

At the least you have to fight off horny women with a stick. (and no, you think you did raunchy in a guy locker room...a bunch of women in a room with a decent looking guy are 10 times worse! be afraid. Be VERY afraid!)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No need to turn the air blue. Take a gander at the thread about instructor sayings. You can have all kinds of fun without crossing the line.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I'm an engineering student so no. Would probably teach around 8 hours a week. As for commercial, I guess so but I don't expect much profit from it. I don't care about the money at all honestly. TKD means too much to me to get caught up in profit.

This in itself tells me that you are mature enough emotionally to be the head instructor of this class. Chronological age is less important than emotional maturity and technical proficiency and understanding.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This in itself tells me that you are mature enough emotionally to be the head instructor of this class. Chronological age is less important than emotional maturity and technical proficiency and understanding.

LOL, the chronological age is important for legalities. :)
It may or may not be important....

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

LOL, the chronological age is important for legalities. :)
It may or may not be important....

I was referring to fitness to instruct - whether or not his chronological age affects legalities is a different question. If he were under 18, that would be a different issue as well.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 17 year old son (2 Dan) runs the class for me from time to time and there are adults in those classes. They accept him because they know I believe in him...to a point. In those instances, I limit his instruction to things that he can competently execute and omit things that my get him in over his head such as more advanced moves or sparring where someone is more likely to get hurt. There are things I do not allow him to cover in my absence simply because at his age and experience level, he doesn't know.

I would be apprehensive about allowing you to instruct me; at least initially. That's not to say that you, or any other young instructor doesn't have a competent skill set and the ability to teach. You may know Taekwondo, but do you know the human body? Older students have issues that young people do not have. Males obviously have different mechanics than females. Have you had any formal training in phys ed? or first aid for that matter?

It is not my intent to dissuade you; just assess yourself honestly. If you feel that you can address issues such a this competently, than do it. Even old farts like me will come around if you have what it takes.

Regards,

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As instructor?

Nope, can't turn the air blue.

And especially no innuendo.

Naturally, the shades of gray (or blue) depend on the context. My instructor turned red as a beet with the slightest innuendo (as dark skinned African American, that was quiet a color change) and he would have had a massive coronary in the face of heavy swearing. But he was just that pure :)

But the innuendo gets you into hot water down the road as instructor/boss or whatever.

At the least you have to fight off horny women with a stick. (and no, you think you did raunchy in a guy locker room...a bunch of women in a room with a decent looking guy are 10 times worse! be afraid. Be VERY afraid!)

It's a habit I'm going to have to break, been trying for years but school doesn't help. Engineering students are notorious for filthy language.

Thanks Kacey, I make a serious effort to represent my art well.:)

My 17 year old son (2 Dan) runs the class for me from time to time and there are adults in those classes. They accept him because they know I believe in him...to a point. In those instances, I limit his instruction to things that he can competently execute and omit things that my get him in over his head such as more advanced moves or sparring where someone is more likely to get hurt. There are things I do not allow him to cover in my absence simply because at his age and experience level, he doesn't know.

I would be apprehensive about allowing you to instruct me; at least initially. That's not to say that you, or any other young instructor doesn't have a competent skill set and the ability to teach. You may know Taekwondo, but do you know the human body? Older students have issues that young people do not have. Males obviously have different mechanics than females. Have you had any formal training in phys ed? or first aid for that matter?

It is not my intent to dissuade you; just assess yourself honestly. If you feel that you can address issues such a this competently, than do it. Even old farts like me will come around if you have what it takes.

Regards,

Another good point. Phys ed, none at all. I've got standard First Aid+CPR certification, have for years, but I'll probably upgrade that next chance I get. I have a pretty restrictive schedule, though, so what I can feasibly study has to be realistic. Don't think I have much chance of getting formal Phys.Ed training.

If anyone's interested, I've decided that if all goes well I will accept the offer. I've been offered help by several other instructors, both inside and outside of our school, and I'd like to at least give this a try.

Thanks for your advice

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One more question rather than a new thread.

Do you guys think anyone would take exception if I use Judo Gi jackets for self defense classes, specifically lapel grabs? Most of our class cross trains Judo and I was thinking I'd have them bring their Gi jackets with their Dobak pants and belts for SD since they'll hold up better. Don't think it will matter.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you do a lot of grabbing the jacket? It's a wonderful idea.
Certainly minimizes the chances of wardrobe malfunctions.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One more question rather than a new thread.

Do you guys think anyone would take exception if I use Judo Gi jackets for self defense classes, specifically lapel grabs? Most of our class cross trains Judo and I was thinking I'd have them bring their Gi jackets with their Dobak pants and belts for SD since they'll hold up better. Don't think it will matter.

We do use judo uniforms in my karate class for that exact reason. An added bonus: single weave judo uniforms are cheap. You can get them wholesale for $24-$32 a set, depending on the brand and supplier.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're going to cross train Judo, then certainly wear the uniform. It's designed that way for that purpose, and a TKD uniform won't last long doing lapel throws. However, if you're going to teach that move for self defense, identify the difference to your students. Most of us wear something considerably lighter on the street and pulling that type of move on someone in a T shirt will put you on your own butt with a handful of air. It may sound obvious, but it's always better to assume your students don't know.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you do a lot of grabbing the jacket? It's a wonderful idea.
Certainly minimizes the chances of wardrobe malfunctions.

We do enough that I've torn a few Dobak's over the years. I kinda thought it would work fine.

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do use judo uniforms in my karate class for that exact reason. An added bonus: single weave judo uniforms are cheap. You can get them wholesale for $24-$32 a set, depending on the brand and supplier.

Yeah, Judogi's are stupid cheap. I have a white Fuji and a blue Fuji, both identical single weave, and the total cost for those together was cheaper than my Dobak. I won't however be able to get wholesale Judo gear for my students but a lot have Gi's anyway. I'm thinking I'll just offer it as an option; Dobaks, belts and sparring gear are expensive enough especially for parents. ;)

If you're going to cross train Judo, then certainly wear the uniform. It's designed that way for that purpose, and a TKD uniform won't last long doing lapel throws. However, if you're going to teach that move for self defense, identify the difference to your students. Most of us wear something considerably lighter on the street and pulling that type of move on someone in a T shirt will put you on your own butt with a handful of air. It may sound obvious, but it's always better to assume your students don't know.

That's a disadvantage, of course, but I think our students will understand the difference. I was just thinking it might save their dobaks ($$$ for something that's not designed to be grabbed). I'll be teaching pretty much exact KKW cirriculum plus a few self defense moves other instructors have added over the years.

Latest Discussions