Training camps

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im just wondering if your clubs do them, and if so, what they entail. We have one coming up and I am relly looing forward to it. We do ours at the beach, we camp on the beach or at a nearby caravan park. They start on a friday night and finish up on the sunday. We have a saturday morning session, a saturday lunch session, a saturday afternoon session and then a sunday morning session. Each session goes for about 2 hours and focuses on a different part of our training. We would usually have a session dedicated to sparring, another to self defence/hapkido, another for cardio and another for form. The camp is usually run by 3 or 4 6th or 7th dans and they each take a session each. At night we drink, eat and party on a bit and it becomes quite the social get together and gives everyone a chance to meet others who train at the club. We usually try to get between 100 and 500 students to come along and it makes for a great weekend with some extra training. I was just wondering if other clubs do things such as this.

masterchase

White Belt
Reaction score
We do twice a year.

We are an 11 dojang association.
Friday night: Association meeting and Black Belt testing.
Saturday: Seminars all day. Dinner and socializing at night.
Sunday: Seminars until noon.
Usually attended by at least 150 participants.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We hold a week-long camp every other year - our next one is this year, in June, in Las Vegas.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
We hold a week-long camp every other year - our next one is this year, in June, in Las Vegas.

Thanks for posting that Kacey, very interesting reading. You're so lucky to belong to a group that is very active in doing things like this.

I think the last time our association (BTCB) in England organised one of these was in the mid 90s (I have the certificate at home somewhere). It was great fun, but I think it was a one off...

OP
R

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Kacey, very interesting reading. You're so lucky to belong to a group that is very active in doing things like this.

I think the last time our association (BTCB) in England organised one of these was in the mid 90s (I have the certificate at home somewhere). It was great fun, but I think it was a one off...
Our club stopped doing the camps for a couple of years and I really missed them. Every time Ive been to one I come away much better for having gone plus I meet a whole heap of students Id never met before so it really promotes club spirit. I found out last night we are having two of these camps over the next couple of months, I cant wait.

OP
R

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
You lucky thing! Don't forget to post a review/diary of what you did on the camp, just to make the rest of us jealous, along with any pics!
Good idea. I will take some pics and let you know what we did. Last time they had us doing sparring knee deep in the surf, running up sand dunes, doing throws and self defence in the soft sand (even better than mats) and a whole range of things. Seeing 500 tkd students lined up on the beach in order of rank is a sight to behold, the toursists even stop by and take photos and watch the class.