Buying rank

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
...hmmm...

yes, ive actually stopped by to take a look inside, its a pretty big space, it was closed though, didnt have a chance to look at a session.

MMAKID why do you not say what school you are with, I guess I left out Faulkners on main street.

How long have you been teaching? What style of TKD do you teach? How long have you been a teacher at the school and what classes do you teach?
terry

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train at Ngueyen's Int. Martial arts Academy, or Arlington Fight club.

its off of 303(pioneer) in Grand prairie, attached to the Grand Prairie Fitness center.

(yes I know that we are called Arlington Fight club and located in Grand prairie)

I teach the Children's classes there. I have been training for 8 years straight (no long breaks). I hold what i like to call a real first degree black belt (it took me 6 years to get it!) We teach WTF TKD, but with little modifications to it. ( hands up, not so much focus on points, but effectiveness)

I am currently training in the Muay thai and Brazilian Jiu jitsu classes offered at my school.

been teaching for about a year

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:

its off of 303(pioneer) in Grand prairie, attached to the Grand Prairie Fitness center.

(yes I know that we are called Arlington Fight club and located in Grand prairie)

Well then we have probaly meet and as far as the name it does not brother me and I did see where you moved out of the fitness center, the place is looking good!
Have a nice evening.
Terry

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So... The Japanese use the Japanese ranking system wrong according to a non-Japanese person. Right.

Nope, no one said anything about right or wrong. Right and wrong are is just as an illusive concept... like "Fair"

My statement was that this was a testament to the value of their ranking system. You were the one that brought up right and wrong.

I think most people would want to be known for their marital arts and not how well they shuffeled paper. Unfortunately, more and more are promoted for other reasons than Martial arts.

Perhaps there is more to growing a art then technical skill, perhaps those other things are important, perhaps they are worth recognizing, perhaps not everyone uses the system the same way...

Yes, many things make up a martial artist: washing their uniform, showing up to class on time, paying for their class... but many believe that you should not give someone rank for these things.:) Some things in life you learn to do without being rewarded for them.

Rank was just an invention to keep people too impatient to learn, a way to set small goals. Even though its not the case, most of us have a hope that senior ranks are beyond this.

And why should they? Where in the "official" belt giving rules does it say that belts should only be given for technical skill?

There are no official belt giving rules, everyone is free to do what they like with them. There are no universal standards, they are purely a internal thing to a school or organization.

Yes, and how they handle these things defines not only the worth of the organization but also the integrity of their organization.

At 8th dan it shouldn't be about technical skill, no one should expect it too. By this time the people going for it are well past there prime in terms of technical skill, so if rank is nothing but technical skill the top ranked guys would be mostly 20-35 years old.

Here is where many would disagree with you. Most (As I) belive that the higher rank you achieve the higher your technical skill.

Everyone would agree with your assesment of times affect on the human condition.

But many would not agree with your definition of "technical skills" as being purely physical. Many believe that there is more to technical skill than just physical ability. I am still astounded at the amount I learn from some masters, mostly mental, not physical.

If someone hosts tournaments, travels around doing seminars, spends all there time promoting and growing the system they should be recognized within the system for that. And as there is only one method of recognition (belts) they get awarded for MANY different reasons.

Many peopl would also disagree with you here as most don't think you just promote someone for doing "things". I do lots of things for my art but would never want to be promoted for them. They are just things you do to give back to your art.

And if you are saying the only way to recognize people is to promote them, then I would have to promote all my soccer moms. They do lots of things and I do many things to recognize them. I just don't promote them. I can recognize talents without promotion

Sad but true, most of what you talk about is the accepted norm with a lot of people.

But there are still many whom hold to the beliefe that the arts should be about a persons ability in the martial artists.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
you got to the one off of arkansas right??

the big school with the huge "Karate-Do" sign.
its by fiesta right?

No, that's not my school. I sent you a return PM earlier.

You've been with Franc for 8 years now. That's great. I saw a photo on-line with him teaching Muy Thai. Is he teaching that now? He used to only teach Taekwon Do. How is he doing these days?

R. McLain

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
MMA kid she is at our school we own it, it is called Twin Dragons MAS located in Six Flag Mall in Arlington at Dillards court side. What school do you teach at in Grand Prairie, GP Karate or Eagle Park or Nyguns on 303, I'm really not that familar with anybody else here in GP.
Terry Boricuatkd Husband.

Hello Terry,

Does Nikko Reyes still have his school at Six Flags Mall too?

R. McLain

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmclain said:
Hello Terry,

Does Nikko Reyes still have his school at Six Flags Mall too?

R. McLain

No Niko Reyes has been gone about a year, we moved in right after he left. Farfans nephew moved in on the other side of the mall, next to where Reyes used to be. We took over where the Grand Prairie new paper used to be and the place next to that we are about three quarters of the corridor on the Dillards wing across from where old eyemastrers used to be.
Terry

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
rmclain said:
No, that's not my school. I sent you a return PM earlier.

You've been with Franc for 8 years now. That's great. I saw a photo on-line with him teaching Muy Thai. Is he teaching that now? He used to only teach Taekwon Do. How is he doing these days?

R. McLain

where, may I ask, did you see this photo? Yes, he is now teaching Muay Thai. He is doing great, he is staying in shape and we are getting mores students now than ever before.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:

I teach the Children's classes there. I have been training for 8 years straight (no long breaks). I hold what i like to call a real first degree black belt (it took me 6 years to get it!) We teach WTF TKD, but with little modifications to it. ( hands up, not so much focus on points, but effectiveness)

I am currently training in the Muay thai and Brazilian Jiu jitsu classes offered at my school.

been teaching for about a year

MMA Kid the school on Arkansas is Master Lewis it is calledKarate-Do he is part of the TKL- Texas Karate League with Master Kurban. Alot of people get those to mix up a bit.
Terry

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
No Niko Reyes has been gone about a year, we moved in right after he left. Farfans nephew moved in on the other side of the mall, next to where Reyes used to be. We took over where the Grand Prairie new paper used to be and the place next to that we are about three quarters of the corridor on the Dillards wing across from where old eyemastrers used to be.
Terry

has there been any rivalry (freindly or non)??

I think it is great to have another school in the same building, I think it would promote good competitions:)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
has there been any rivalry (freindly or non)??

I think it is great to have another school in the same building, I think it would promote good competitions:)

Rivalry No, but in my world of respect one does not move next to there suppose to be friends in the Arts. We do not talk anymore and he does he's thing and me and my school just keep getting better. I have no rivalrys in MA only people I train with and those I do not not good or Bad just the way it is with me.
Terry

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
so it is Farfan's nephew who moved in? what is that school called? We had Villalobos come to our school to train last month, we had a lot of fun, our adult class is now doing kickboxing with takedowns and it was quite an experience watching two different styles spar.

OP
boricuatkd

boricuatkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes - it is Master Farfan's nephew that moved into the mall about 2 -3 months ago. Master Farfan I understand moved to Arkansas. At least that is what we have heard. I am also familiar with Master Villalobos. We have met at some of the local tournaments. He was also part of the TKL at one time.
Let me extend an open invitation to you and your students. We train 6 days a week. We also cross train with other schools as well. Feel free to come by and visit at any time.

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you! I would really enjoy stopping by sometime, does your school open on saturdays?

Edit: what other schools have you crosstrained with?

OP
boricuatkd

boricuatkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I swear my name should be "just curious" on this board cuz I wonder out loud a lot. But, how did he react to your above statement?

:lurk: Getting back to the original thread and to answer your question Iceman, he was some what put out and quickly changed the subject.
Like I have mentioned before, I really don't care. I know that some people have commented how normal this is ( at least for the commercial aspect of tkd) - especially in my area; but I just can't grasp the concept. It goes against everything I believe in and everything that we teach at our school. :asian:

OP
boricuatkd

boricuatkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
Thank you! I would really enjoy stopping by sometime, does your school open on saturdays?

Edit: what other schools have you crosstrained with?
Yes we are open on Saturdays from 11-until we get through. (Which is usually around 1:30 -2:00)

At the moment we are cross training with a kung fu school from Forth Worth. Some of their students are wanting to learn olympic style sparring. On the same token, we also have students inlcuding myself and my boys who have trained in open style fighting so it gives us some people to work with. It is a very competitive but friendly training. We learn alot from each other. Their master instructor is a wonderful person and our schools hold great respect for each other's styles. :asian:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is just a friendly reminder from the Mod. portion of myself, we need to nudge this back to topic at hand, I will be starting a thread about cross training Immediately.
Sorry for the mis-guiding of the tread.
Terry Lee Stoker

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
how big is your adult class? Since our adult class is now involved with different style sparring, I think it would be great if your school could come over for a class, either to watch, or to participate. Tae kwon do is still heavily taught in the class, just with added techniques from other arts. Namely Muay thai and San shou

Latest Discussions