kid started tae

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
my nine yo started tae.

it is a small school, owner on site. It is labeled a "family school". said he stresses tradiitional but does mix other forms aspects for the older more advance and adults.

he seems great with the kids. Very polite and nice. teaches partial of classes and has other more advanced students teach as well to fill in. she is scheduled two nights a week so far for fourty five minutes per class. Is this okay for her age? she is starting out as a white belt of course.

Any things i should watch for or be concerned about?

Other question is i taught her a little of other "things". I took a small amount of fma when i was younger and sparred with more advanced belts of different forms (just for fun, but a couple bb's in the family and friends and someone i know that fights for cash), and i guess you pick things up overtime. I went through that stage of trying to learn from books as a kid too. So i know a little but nothing like a real student so it isn't like i am qualified.
Nothing special, i am no pro just taught her a little mma, take downs etc.

Will this help her or hurt her? should i stop teaching her at this point since she started regular tae with a real instructor?

she seems really happy to have started classes. I suppose i just don't want to screw it up!
suggestions?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just sit back and enjoy the ride. You can always start in those adult classes too. This way it will be something that bonds you two a bit more.

I got back into it when my kids started and now I am a full fledged instuctor. Even became one of the coaches for our comp team. You will have fun trust me.
icon12.gif

OP
B

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just sit back and enjoy the ride. You can always start in those adult classes too. This way it will be something that bonds you two a bit more.

I got back into it when my kids started and now I am a full fledged instuctor. Even became one of the coaches for our comp team. You will have fun trust me.
icon12.gif

thankyou for the response. I had no intention of joining(i am 35 and feeling too old to start again) but suppose it is something to consider.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
one is never too old!

well, I like 45 min classes for the kids. if they are well structured they can leave everything out there and sleep well. :)

I would personally step back a little and let the teacher do his work. It can get confusing in the early stages, and after all, that's what you pay him for! ^_^

OP
B

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
one is never too old!

well, I like 45 min classes for the kids. if they are well structured they can leave everything out there and sleep well. :)

I would personally step back a little and let the teacher do his work. It can get confusing in the early stages, and after all, that's what you pay him for! ^_^

broke my leg and blew out my knee some years ago in a match. At one point they said my retina was detaching from a blow to the head i guess. Never went back but i still see so i guess it is still there. The second to last hard hit i took to the head i couldnt smile straight for three days. Part of my face was drooping. Ended up going for mri fun. Last blow though i was okay. Kneck hurt a tad but it was a hard hit by a piece of metal so.....we all have our limitations.

I probably could take classes for fun. I get around fine but not sure if hard impact is advisable anymore. Not sure if the head or leg will take it. Or back for that matter had a problem there too. Not too worried about the nose. It is already a little off center and scarred from breaking that a few times (if you follow).

This is really about her. And thankyou for the advice. Think i will just sit back and watch.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thankyou for the response. I had no intention of joining(i am 35 and feeling too old to start again) but suppose it is something to consider.
You're not too old. I had a 20 year layout and started back into TKD when I was 38. I'm 61 and I'm on the floor five days a week.

We've got folks in our organization that didn't start until they were in their 60s.

chungdokwan123

Orange Belt
Reaction score

You're 35 and feeling too old to start again? Throw that excuse out with the garbage, friend.

I started back at 45....just got my green belt this week. My 10 year-old son is a blue belt....I was using the same excuse for a while. If I had started with him he wouldn't outrank me now.

My 17 year-old daughter just started a couple of months ago.....and she's going to be fantastic. She regrets not starting sooner as well.....she's been identified as having potential Olympic-level talent.

As to your physical dilemma.....we all have our issues and associated limitations. My guts are strung together with wire mesh from 3 hernia surgeries. I tore my Achilles tendon in my 20's which still causes me problems with running. I almost lost my hand to MRSA last year.....and I break with that hand now.....the same hand that I fractured in 7 places due to a poorly placed punch to the head of an adversary in an Army bar long, long ago in a place far, far away.

I almost forgot....I'm a diabetic as well.

The point is....if you want to do it.....then do it NOW. If you don't want to do it....that's fine as well. The best thing to do would be to just go out there and give it a try.

I'd hate to see folks waste time and opportunity like I did....and your child will appreciate it more than you know.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
broke my leg and blew out my knee some years ago in a match. At one point they said my retina was detaching from a blow to the head i guess. Never went back but i still see so i guess it is still there. The second to last hard hit i took to the head i couldnt smile straight for three days. Part of my face was drooping. Ended up going for mri fun. Last blow though i was okay. Kneck hurt a tad but it was a hard hit by a piece of metal so.....we all have our limitations.

I probably could take classes for fun. I get around fine but not sure if hard impact is advisable anymore. Not sure if the head or leg will take it. Or back for that matter had a problem there too. Not too worried about the nose. It is already a little off center and scarred from breaking that a few times (if you follow).

This is really about her. And thankyou for the advice. Think i will just sit back and watch.
Based on what you're listing here, especially the head trauma, you probably need to discuss the idea of training with a doctor. Lots of us get by with bad knees. But you've described some significant brain injuries, and you need someone with the right knowledge to help you figure out what you can and can't do. At a guess, you're probably OK for forms, but sparring may be out of the question.

Latest Discussions