Train Like A Professional....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, I will absolutely agree that not having to rely on strength is good. Yet, having strength when you need it is AWESOME!!!
When a student or prospective student asks me about this, I tell them our techniques don't rely on strength, but strength is a nice tool to have in your toolbox, that can help when your timing is off, a technique doesn't work in the situation, or you run into someone who has some skill. We need it for the technique, but it still helps to have it in addition to the technique.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess this all depends on how you train your body. Some people train for pure strength while sacrificing stamina and flexibility. All they want to do is go in the gym and deadlift as much weight as possible then go home. That's all well and good but to be a good fighter you need to have a balance between strength, stamina and flexibility. Having the strength to punch through a wall is pointless if you don't have to speed to through the punch in time to hit a moving target, or the stamina to be able to last more than 30 seconds in a fight.
None of that diminishes the importance of strength. Balance is best found (in an ideal sense) by adding, rather than subtracting. More to the point, strength is only functional if it can be deployed when and where you need it, so flexibility and timing are part of building functional strength.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to train your strength as in muscular strength, I would rather focus on timing, off balancing, and proper technique . I often let big muscles guys try to push me and I just relax and root and then I move slightly and they loose their balance.
Only true if they don't use good technique. Take a big, muscular guy who understands what you understand, and he has an advantage.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Be good to know how to approximate this kind of training without 1. the professional coaches, 2. the professional equipment though I like that they use old kind of stuff like medicine ball or free weight etc.. Is awesome to watch these.. hardcore training!! do you train this way??

The knowlege is out there. Most of our stuff is body weight. Mostly we just section it off. so we get an even balance.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not relying on strength, and relying on "no strength" are not the same thing.

Then you professionally train what your martial art does rely on.

Which I assume is magic or something.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
None of that diminishes the importance of strength. Balance is best found (in an ideal sense) by adding, rather than subtracting. More to the point, strength is only functional if it can be deployed when and where you need it, so flexibility and timing are part of building functional strength.

That's true, until you realise that most of us have a limited amount of time to dedicate to training, so if you are a person who has spent all his training time just training to lift weights, in order to be a well-rounded fighter you will have to do less weight-lifting in favour of cardio and flexibility training. I'm not denying that pure strength isn't useful to a fighter, but I see it more as a last resort kind of thing when your technique and speed doesn't work. Yes it gives you more options if you are physically stronger, but I would always put speed and technique above it when it comes to Martial Arts.

D

Dylan9d

Dyland9d as a member of the forum and part of the moderation staff I would advise you to go and read the rules that you agreed to abide to when you signed up for MartialTalk.

Here are the rules: MartialTalk.com Forum Rules and Procedures

No thanks.... I have important real life matters to attend to, if I do something wrong please do report my post or send me a PM stating what I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't know how or when to hit/grab/takedown/etc. someone, then strength isn't going to get the job done. If you know what you're doing, increased strength (while maintaining your skills) will only enhance your effectiveness.

The people who think increased strength won't make them any better are either making excuses or are delusional.

I'd love to get into the gym and lift. With a wife, 2 young children, and a full time job, I just don't have the free time. It's either lift twice a week or get to the dojo twice.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to get into the gym and lift. With a wife, 2 young children, and a full time job, I just don't have the free time. It's either lift twice a week or get to the dojo twice.

That's why I built a home gym. I can get in my strength conditioning after the kids go to bed.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's why I built a home gym. I can get in my strength conditioning after the kids go to bed.

I have a Total Gym that sits in a closet. Not enough space. If you saw my house, you'd understand. I just got a Century BOB XL and filled it up with pea gravel. No one's going to see me from 6:30-7:00 on non-dojo nights.

And by the time the kids are asleep, I'm pretty much out too.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a Total Gym that sits in a closet. Not enough space. If you saw my house, you'd understand. I just got a Century BOB XL and filled it up with pea gravel. No one's going to see me from 6:30-7:00 on non-dojo nights.

And by the time the kids are asleep, I'm pretty much out too.

Yeah, it can be rough. I've just learned to operate on little sleep... it helps.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, it can be rough. I've just learned to operate on little sleep... it helps.

I don't get enough sleep as it is. I just got the idiot tenant downstairs to clear out some space in the basement for my BOB XL. I'll give it a few months and get him to make more space for my total gym.

Before kids, I had a ton of free time and space. I had a nice loft in the apartment I used to live in. I had my total gym, my stereo, tv and Xbox, a mini fridge and a pair of IKEA poang chairs.

Now, I feel guilty going to the dojo two nights a week. The total gym is in a closet. My stereo is boxed up because my daughters couldn't keep their fingers away from the tweeters. My tv only gets used for kids' shows. Every couch is covered with kids' toys, blankets and cheerios. I brought the mini fridge to work. The Xbox plays kids dvds.

The joys of parenting. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Edit: I got sick of never having anywhere to sit, so I put one of the IKEA chairs back together and put it in the living room. I became my father, grandfather, and most likely several generations before them... "This is daddy's chair. Don't put your stuff on it, don't sit in it, don't touch it. It's the only thing in this house that is mine and no one else's." Although the stupid cat my wife and daughters brought home sits in the damn thing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's true, until you realise that most of us have a limited amount of time to dedicate to training, so if you are a person who has spent all his training time just training to lift weights, in order to be a well-rounded fighter you will have to do less weight-lifting in favour of cardio and flexibility training. I'm not denying that pure strength isn't useful to a fighter, but I see it more as a last resort kind of thing when your technique and speed doesn't work. Yes it gives you more options if you are physically stronger, but I would always put speed and technique above it when it comes to Martial Arts.

Yeah but if you are doing 3 hours a week. It kind ot throws the whole concept of training like a proffesional out the window.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but if you are doing 3 hours a week. It kind ot throws the whole concept of training like a proffesional out the window.

Granted, but the point still stands that if you spend all your training time on pure lifting strength, if you wish to become an well-rounded fighter you will have to cut back on the weights in favour of cardio. That same principle applies regardless of whether you are doing 3 weeks or 50 hours training a week.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's more to "training like a professional" than the number of hours spent training.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but hours spent is definitely a factor.

Sure, but HOW you spend those hours could easily be considered more important than just the number of hours.
Personally, I don't spend anything like the amount of time training a professional would. Because it's not my profession. I do, however, spend my training time working hard.
Like a professional.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure, but HOW you spend those hours could easily be considered more important than just the number of hours.
Personally, I don't spend anything like the amount of time training a professional would. Because it's not my profession. I do, however, spend my training time working hard.
Like a professional.

Not really the same thing.

Sorry.

Latest Discussions