Addicted and Cranky

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is true! It gets into your brain, and then you will have dreams of practicing. I have woke myself up many times throwing kicks in dreams (usually my quadricep muscle tenses, and shakes the bed enough to wake me -- this has not happened in a long time, though).

According to my missus, I sword-fight in my sleep :lol:.

I am very heartened by all the posts in this thread as it shows that once someone discovers a love of the martial arts they never relinquish it. The trick, as far as I see it, it to love the art for what it is, just like you would your life-partner. Find the one that suits you and don't try and change it or force it to be what you want it to be; just accept what you get from it as a by-product of enjoying practising it.

The three hours a week I have with a katana in my hand, surrounded by other people with katana, naginata and bo, are the most peaceful and tranquil I've ever known :D. Even tho' I loved Lau Gar (you don't spend over a decade doing something you hate when you don't get paid for it :)) I never got from it the mental benefits I get from MJER - tho' the Lau is a bit more useful (and less lethal) if I fail to avoid trouble :lol:.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
According to my missus, I sword-fight in my sleep :lol:.

I am very heartened by all the posts in this thread as it shows that once someone discovers a love of the martial arts they never relinquish it. The trick, as far as I see it, it to love the art for what it is, just like you would your life-partner. Find the one that suits you and don't try and change it or force it to be what you want it to be; just accept what you get from it as a by-product of enjoying practising it.

The three hours a week I have with a katana in my hand, surrounded by other people with katana, naginata and bo, are the most peaceful and tranquil I've ever known :D. Even tho' I loved Lau Gar (you don't spend over a decade doing something you hate when you don't get paid for it :)) I never got from it the mental benefits I get from MJER - tho' the Lau is a bit more useful (and less lethal) if I fail to avoid trouble :lol:.
Beautiful post as always, Mark. However, I just don't know how "relaxed" I'd be with all that steel flying around my head...especially the naginata. That's a long distance between the wielder and the steel to keep control of. Of course, in the aikido school it's not steel flying around your head it's other students! We are a twisted bunch, aren't we?:lfao:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The three hours a week I have with a katana in my hand, surrounded by other people with katana, naginata and bo, are the most peaceful and tranquil I've ever known :D.

And you all think I'm a bit off because I hit trees :D

Sukerkin I KNEW I liked you
icon14.gif

Actually the most peaceful and tranquil I ever am is in a Chinese Tea House. But doing my taiji forms is something completely different and to be honest hard to explain and simply incredible.

As to Sanda and the trees it is a very high level of focus that is quite nice in the 21st century when there is so much around trying desperately to gain your attention.

Latest Discussions