Columbus Ohio Martial Arts Instruction

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been reading MartialTalk for a while but just joined today.

I'm looking for martial arts instruction in Columbus, Ohio. I am 42 years old and have nearly no previous experience (one summer of Shotokan classes as a teenager). As far as what I'm looking for, I suppose it's pretty much everything. See below in no particular order:

- I would like to learn realistic, applicable self defense.
- I would like to get in better physical shape. I'm not necessarily looking for a rigorous workout, but something that would get me moving and hopefully inspire me to work out further.
- A hobby. I would like something fun to participate in on a regular basis.

Below are some of the schools in the area that I am considering, with links if available and lists of arts taught:

- Dr. Wu's Kung Fu (No website) From what I understand he teaches a few Chinese systems including Wing Chun and Baguazang. I'm not sure of what others. They used to have a website with that information but it no longer exists.

- Hilliard Martial Arts Center http://www.teamhmac.com/ Teaches Modern Arnis and Aikido. I am primarily interested in the Modern Arnis curriculum, I think.

- Seishin Karate Club http://www.karateheart.com/ Teaches Shorin Ryu under the Shorin-Ryu Karate and Kobudo Association of America. I believe they teach Matsubayashi Ryu, but I'm not certain.

- Asian Fighting Arts http://asianfightingarts.com/home/ and http://sikaltactical.com/ This appears to be a hybrid of several Philippine and Indonesian arts. I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere except their own websites.

- Circle of Harmony http://www.aikicircle.com/index.html Teaches Aikido and Aiki Ju Jutsu.

- Jay T. Will Karate (No Website) Teaches American Kenpo, which the instructor also called Chinese Kenpo. Received his black belt from Jay T. Will.

- Contemporary Karate Studio http://www.contemporarykarate.com Teaches American Kenpo.

- Tai Chi Corner http://www.taichicorner.net/index.html Teaches Tai Chi and Water Style Boxing.

- Short North Muay Thai http://www.shortnorthmuaythai.com/ Teaches Muay Thai.

I think I would like to find a Silat school, but haven't been able to find a true Silat school. The Sikal is based in part on Silat, but I cannot seem to find much information about that.

The Tai Chi Corner is the only school I've visited to date. The instructor was nice enough, but I'm just not sure it's right for me. I will visit others in time, but I would like some input from others if possible. I'm also open to any other suggestions in the Columbus area.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to recommend Central Ohio Martial Arts - I train in Haidong Gumdo there. Korean Sword Art. Master Clements teaches a wide range of Korean Martial Arts including Jido Kwan Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Haidong Gumdo, Kuk Kung, as well as hosts a Tai Chi class. I love the school and would strongly recommend anyone there.

http://centralohiomartialarts.com/

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to recommend Central Ohio Martial Arts - I train in Haidong Gumdo there. Korean Sword Art. Master Clements teaches a wide range of Korean Martial Arts including Jido Kwan Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Haidong Gumdo, Kuk Kung, as well as hosts a Tai Chi class. I love the school and would strongly recommend anyone there.

http://centralohiomartialarts.com/

Thanks for the reply. I knew I was going to forget something, and I forgot that one. I was considering their Hapkido program - do you have any experience with Hapkido there?

That is also probably the closest of the listed schools to my home.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
- Hilliard Martial Arts Center http://www.teamhmac.com/ Teaches Modern Arnis and Aikido. I am primarily interested in the Modern Arnis curriculum, I think.

The head instructor used to post here as Mao (Modern Arnis of Ohio). You can still find him at MartialTalk.com's sister site FMATalk.com as Mao. I've met him; he's a nice guy.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Id recommend Guru Ken Pannels Asian Fighting Arts.. however he is in DAYTON OHIO about 45 mins W of Columbus..

I do think he has a branch school or student in Columbu though..

I was just there this past weekend and I was NOT impressed with any of the schools in the Columbus area..but thats just me... I have heard of Mr. Clements as well.. and he seems to have a well rounded curriculum...

choice is yours really...

I know there are awesome schools there.. But I sure wouldn't go off of what I saw from competition this past weekend at the ARNOLD...wow.. i was so disapointed.. If u can look into guru KEN PANELL at asian fighting arts and tell him I sent you.. (cory) he will recommend a good school if anything else...

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The head instructor used to post here as Mao (Modern Arnis of Ohio). You can still find him at MartialTalk.com's sister site FMATalk.com as Mao. I've met him; he's a nice guy.

Thanks. I spoke with him a week or so ago about visiting, and he was very nice. I would like to visit the school, but I was trying to research some other options that were less expensive. Not that they are outrageously priced, but they are at the high end of my available budget.

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Id recommend Guru Ken Pannels Asian Fighting Arts.. however he is in DAYTON OHIO about 45 mins W of Columbus..

I do think he has a branch school or student in Columbu though..

I was just there this past weekend and I was NOT impressed with any of the schools in the Columbus area..but thats just me... I have heard of Mr. Clements as well.. and he seems to have a well rounded curriculum...

choice is yours really...

I know there are awesome schools there.. But I sure wouldn't go off of what I saw from competition this past weekend at the ARNOLD...wow.. i was so disapointed.. If u can look into guru KEN PANELL at asian fighting arts and tell him I sent you.. (cory) he will recommend a good school if anything else...

Thanks. Yes, the first link I included shows a school in Columbus. I just can't seem to find any information on Sikal. Maybe I will call Guru Ken and ask him.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is also at least one, and I think possibly two or three Bando schools run in the Columbus area. They're won't likely have much advertisement; I'll try to find some info about where & when or who to contact if you're interested.

For general info about Bando, see www.americanbandoassociation.com

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I knew I was going to forget something, and I forgot that one. I was considering their Hapkido program - do you have any experience with Hapkido there?

That is also probably the closest of the listed schools to my home.

I actually recently attended a Hapkido Seminar at COMA with Dr. Duk Gun Kwon, a 9th Dan in Hapkido. It was a GREAT seminar...mostly Master Clement's students, but a little bit from all around. I know that Dr Kwon is Master Clement's Hapkido Master, so I will assume that his style has translated to her. I was very impressed to say the least. He took a very basic self defense technique, that we probably all know and spent almost 3 hours expanding on the one technique. Basically going over every application for just about any situation. Very eye opening how one simple thing can be used in such a huge variety of situation.

I have never attended one of Master (Laura) Clement's Hapkido classes, but I do like her teaching style and her curriculum is very wide and varied. The people there are also a lot of fun and very nice. Also, the facility is INCREDIBLE....it is huge with every resource you can imagine, including a full supply store. At the very least, I recommend a visit and sit in on a class or two.

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is also at least one, and I think possibly two or three Bando schools run in the Columbus area. They're won't likely have much advertisement; I'll try to find some info about where & when or who to contact if you're interested.

For general info about Bando, see www.americanbandoassociation.com

Thanks jks. I definitely would like to know more about the Bando schools in the area, if you could find some info that would be great.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually recently attended a Hapkido Seminar at COMA with Dr. Duk Gun Kwon, a 9th Dan in Hapkido.

He's also my instructor's TKD instructor, and a Kukkiwon 9th Dan in TKD. My instructor, Master Allen Shirley, went up to fourth dan under Gm. Joon Pye Choi, a senior student of Byung Jik Ro's in the Song Moo Kwan lineage, but for the past several years has been studying under Gm. Duk, by whom he recently was awarded his fifth. I've done a Hapkido seminar with him at the Tuttle Center where our dojang meets, and I agree, he's a phenomenal exponent of self-defense-based MA. Very, very concrete and practical, always with 'the pavement arena' in mind.

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He's also my instructor's TKD instructor, and a Kukkiwon 9th Dan in TKD. My instructor, Master Allen Shirley, went up to fourth dan under Gm. Joon Pye Choi, a senior student of Byung Jik Ro's in the Song Moo Kwan lineage, but for the past several years has been studying under Gm. Duk, by whom he recently was awarded his fifth. I've done a Hapkido seminar with him at the Tuttle Center where our dojang meets, and I agree, he's a phenomenal exponent of self-defense-based MA. Very, very concrete and practical, always with 'the pavement arena' in mind.

Thanks Exile. What classes do you take at the Tuttle Rec Center, and what are they like? From what I just saw on their site it appears as though quite a few things are offered, many of which are free.

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I spoke with him a week or so ago about visiting, and he was very nice. I would like to visit the school, but I was trying to research some other options that were less expensive. Not that they are outrageously priced, but they are at the high end of my available budget.

At the very least, visit the school and check out what he has to offer. You'll find a well rounded way of approaching martial arts and self defense.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jack, welcome to MT :D

I currently train at the Hilliard Martial Arts Center in Modern Arnis. If you're looking for weapons training and empty hand training please come check out the school. Master Dan is very knowledgeable and a great instructor. He will gladly answer any questions you have and will show you around the school.

I also train at Ohio Muay Thai which is a sister school of Short North Muay Thai. While I don't personally have any experience with Short North, I can definitely recommend Ohio Muay Thai. The instructors are awesome, helpful, and also extremely knowledgeable. The school also just moved to a bigger place and now there is over 5000 sq. feet of space.

Good luck with your search! If you have any questions feel free to PM me. :asian:

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It really dependson what you are looking for. Columbus is a hot bed for Martial Arts. I have to echo Andie and Brian. If you are Looking for Anris, you won't do better than Dan MacConnell. Very knowledgable, and a great teacher. If you are lookign for Kenpo, Contemporary Karate isn't bad. They do a Tracy/Parker blend. I personally would look up Pete Galupo in Westerville as Contmeporory was his school before he sold it. If you are looking for American Kenpo, there are a few guys around, including Andrew King who is a student of Dr. Chapel. Best bet is to stop by the places and see for yourself.

Brian Jones

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It really dependson what you are looking for. Columbus is a hot bed for Martial Arts. I have to echo Andie and Brian. If you are Looking for Anris, you won't do better than Dan MacConnell. Very knowledgable, and a great teacher. If you are lookign for Kenpo, Contemporary Karate isn't bad. They do a Tracy/Parker blend. I personally would look up Pete Galupo in Westerville as Contmeporory was his school before he sold it. If you are looking for American Kenpo, there are a few guys around, including Andrew King who is a student of Dr. Chapel. Best bet is to stop by the places and see for yourself.

Brian Jones

Thanks. You mentioned some places I hadn't found while searching, which is kind of what I was hoping for, along with opinions on the ones I did find.

Who is Dr. Chapel?

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jack, welcome to MT :D

I currently train at the Hilliard Martial Arts Center in Modern Arnis. If you're looking for weapons training and empty hand training please come check out the school. Master Dan is very knowledgeable and a great instructor. He will gladly answer any questions you have and will show you around the school.

I also train at Ohio Muay Thai which is a sister school of Short North Muay Thai. While I don't personally have any experience with Short North, I can definitely recommend Ohio Muay Thai. The instructors are awesome, helpful, and also extremely knowledgeable. The school also just moved to a bigger place and now there is over 5000 sq. feet of space.

Good luck with your search! If you have any questions feel free to PM me. :asian:

Thanks Tarot. I may PM you with specific questions, if I think of any. I am hoping to check out the HMAC place soon.

Where exactly is Ohio Muay Thai? I didn't see an address on their site.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You might also check with YMCAs and other health clubs, and keep your ears and eyes open for low-key programs taught out of back yards and garages. They may offer some programs that don't have direct advertising, like Yellowpages or websites. You just might find some other programs you were not aware of. Some things fly under the radar, yet can be excellent instruction, sometimes in rare systems.

OP
Jack Meower

Jack Meower

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You might also check with YMCAs and other health clubs, and keep your ears and eyes open for low-key programs taught out of back yards and garages. They may offer some programs that don't have direct advertising, like Yellowpages or websites. You just might find some other programs you were not aware of. Some things fly under the radar, yet can be excellent instruction, sometimes in rare systems.

Thanks Flying Crane. The 'low-key' programs you mention is sort of how I was hoping to find a silat instructor, perhaps by posting here, since I cannot seem to find one any other way.

I am getting some very good information so far, including the Columbus Recreation System information, which I was not aware of. And the kenpo people who are unlisted as far as I can tell.

Latest Discussions