Actor doesn't like southerners...but see my movie anyway...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As if the north isnt the home of the ignorant....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You realise that to the rest of the world you are just Americans? Wherever you come from, whatever colour you are you are American to us, only you care whether you come from the north, south or even Mexico what we see is Americans. People do that to the Brits as well I know, they don't see us as we see us.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You realise that to the rest of the world you are just Americans? Wherever you come from, whatever colour you are you are American to us, only you care whether you come from the north, south or even Mexico what we see is Americans. People do that to the Brits as well I know, they don't see us as we see us.

You would be hard pressed to find a country on the planet that sees itself the same way the rest of the world sees it

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's because you're ignorant of the difference. Saying that the various areas of the USA are "just American" is like saying that the people of great Britain are all just british.

For what it's worth, most people I know are aware that England, wales and Scotland are different. Why is it hard for you to understand that in a country much larger and more geographically diverse thn your own that there will be significant cultural and social differences from region to region?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
. Why is it hard for you to understand that in a country much larger and more geographically diverse thn your own that there will be significant cultural and social differences from region to region?

Less than a hundred years before we became a country, we had our first civil war, and that was less than 150 years ago itself-that issue alone has served to divide and define some of us during that 150 years, never mind issues directly related to it, never mind the whole "Christian/family values" Bible belt divide-all things that demonstrate the north/south dichotomy...

As if the north isnt the home of the ignorant....

Yeah, it's that whole "War of Southern Rebellion" thing....:lfao:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's because you're ignorant of the difference. Saying that the various areas of the USA are "just American" is like saying that the people of great Britain are all just british.

For what it's worth, most people I know are aware that England, wales and Scotland are different. Why is it hard for you to understand that in a country much larger and more geographically diverse thn your own that there will be significant cultural and social differences from region to region?

Don't get tetchy and defensive, it's not an insult that people outside your country think of you as a cohesive people is it. America is 'marketed' to those outside as one country so why would you be surprised that people see you all as Americans? I would have taken it as a compliment that outsiders think America is a place where it's various cultures, peoples etc are united as one people, if you didn't see that's how I meant it I'm sorry but there's no way you can see it as an insult and jump down my throat for being nice about your country. If you have divisions among your people then non Americans don't see that, they see the United States of America and it's people, the Americans and they admire that.

Scotland, Wales and England aren't just different, they are separate countries each with it's own governments and languages, I'd expect people to understand that they are separate countries but America is put forward to us as one country,if it's not you'd better tell everyone.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Don't get tetchy and defensive, it's not an insult that people outside your country think of you as a cohesive people is it. America is 'marketed' to those outside as one country so why would you be surprised that people see you all as Americans? I would have taken it as a compliment that outsiders think America is a place where it's various cultures, peoples etc are united as one people, if you didn't see that's how I meant it I'm sorry but there's no way you can see it as an insult and jump down my throat for being nice about your country. If you have divisions among your people then non Americans don't see that, they see the United States of America and it's people, the Americans and they admire that.

Scotland, Wales and England aren't just different, they are separate countries each with it's own governments and languages, I'd expect people to understand that they are separate countries but America is put forward to us as one country,if it's not you'd better tell everyone.

I didnt see your ignorance as insulting. I was just pointing out that if that simplistic description is how you view the USA, its no wonder you dont understand our politics. Not defensive or tetchy, but frankly it sounds like you should take your own advice. If you fail to understand the cultural and geographic diversity in America, that's on you. Doesn't mean it's not there. Every state in the union has its own government and its own constitution and laws. And the differences between Massachusetts, Louisiana, south Carolina, california, and Washington are, IMO, as pronounced as the differences between the various parts of great Britain.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt see your ignorance as insulting. I was just pointing oit that if yhat simplistic description is how you view the usa, its no wonder you dont inderstand our politics and often. Not defensive or tetchy, but frankly it sounds like you should take your one advice. If you fail to understand the cultural and geographic diversity in America, that's on you. Doesn't mean it's not there. Every state in the union has its own government and its own constitution and laws. And the differences between Massachusetts, Louisiana, south Carolina, california, and Washington are, IMO, as pronounced as the differences between the various parts of great Britain.

My ignorance? I see you are assuming it's me that's 'ignorant'. I said that outside America people think of you all as Americans, so you assume I'm the one that doesn't know anything about America because I didn't stress the differences you have? You'd be surprised by how much I do know actually and I also know you have taken what I said in the wrong vein. Despite the differences you have, people see what you have done to make it one country and admire that, but still some people can't take a compliment. You would rather stress the differences you have rather than see that to outsiders the fact that you have those differences but see yourselves as American citizens who pledge their allegiance to their country is a good example to others who find their differences destoying their countries rather than uniting them. that's why I said that people see you are just Americans, not foreigners or aliens in your own country. 'Just' in this case meaning 'simply, precisely or exactly', if you took just to be an insult you were incorrect.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tez, I am on your side on this one. You sort of have to work at seeing what you said as 1) ignorant (something about the word is insulting even when it isn't meant that way) 2) anything other than nice about the U.S.

Also, the differences are bound by Americaness. At least for now.

Also Tez, I wish more Americans saw each other as just Americans, and not seperate racial or ethnic groups. Once you take the oath, you are an American, no matter where your ancestors came from or where you ( the "general" you, not necessarily you in particular) were born.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My ignorance? I see you are assuming it's me that's 'ignorant'. I said that outside America people think of you all as Americans, so you assume I'm the one that doesn't know anything about America because I didn't stress the differences you have? You'd be surprised by how much I do know actually and I also know you have taken what I said in the wrong vein. Despite the differences you have, people see what you have done to make it one country and admire that, but still some people can't take a compliment. You would rather stress the differences you have rather than see that to outsiders the fact that you have those differences but see yourselves as American citizens who pledge their allegiance to their country is a good example to others who find their differences destoying their countries rather than uniting them. that's why I said that people see you are just Americans, not foreigners or aliens in your own country. 'Just' in this case meaning 'simply, precisely or exactly', if you took just to be an insult you were incorrect.

I don't think even you can presume to speak for the entire world outside of America, tez.

Once again, I'm not insulted. I'm "just" trying to educate you about a subject I'm pretty familiar with, seeing as I live here. it's very much the same as I've seen you do over and over when someone remarks on great britain or the uk. You are quick to point out how diverse the various areas are, and admonish others for painting great britain or the uk with too broad a brush, and justifiably so. To suggest that all the various parts of the united kingdom are homogenous would be incorrect and ignorant of the distinct cultures and rich histories, even though they overlap and intersect in a lot of ways.

Simply put, in a thread about the distinctions between the north and south of America, an assertion that, outside of our country, we're just Americans is ignorant, in the actual definition of the term. And once again, it seems that you're the one insulted. For someone who alleges to know so much about us, you seem to know very little about us. That is what I mean by ignorant.

And personally, I like that my country is diverse. I would hate to see it become "just" America. That's my opinion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tez, I am on your side on this one. You sort of have to work at seeing what you said as 1) ignorant (something about the word is insulting even when it isn't meant that way) 2) anything other than nice about the U.S.

Also, the differences are bound by Americaness. At least for now.

Also Tez, I wish more Americans saw each other as just Americans, and not seperate racial or ethnic groups. Once you take the oath, you are an American, no matter where your ancestors came from or where you ( the "general" you, not necessarily you in particular) were born.

Ignorance is forgivable. Stubborn ignorance is not. And whether it was nice or not, it is a gross oversimplification.

I see our diversity as a strength and part of what makes this a great country. I see us Not as a melting pot like cheese whiz, but rather a dish in which every ingredient contributes individually to the overall taste.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK let me see if I can clear up what an american is

First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a American for the American's code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "citizenship" than actual ethnicity. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Ms Tez...err ummmm Mr Steve.... sorry my inner Barbossa appears to have come out :uhyeah:

Americans or American people are the citizens of the United States of America. The country is home to people of different national origins. As a result, Americans do not equate their nationality with ethnicity, but with citizenship. Aside from the Native American population, nearly all Americans or their ancestors immigrated within the past five centuries.

And a quick unassocitted note on the Discovery of America and Columbus day. I belevie it was the one of the tribes of the Iriquoios in a response to an invite to a big columbus day pareade commemotrating the discovery of America....... Colub us Discoverd America...what did he discover....we knew where we were

And a quick unassociated note on the Discovery of America and Columbus day. I believe it was the one of the tribes of the Iroquois (likely the Mohawks) in a response to an invite to a big Columbus day parade in Albany NY....... Columbus Discovered America...what did he discover....we knew where we were

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...so we send a space shift out into space and find a new planet with aliens on it. We say we "discovered" it because "we" didn't know it was there, and the aliens make fun of us by saying "what did they discover...we knew where we were." Yeah, never quite got that saying.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I would really enjoy drinking a few beers with tez. There is genuinely no malice on my side. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hmmm...so we send a space shift out into space and find a new planet with aliens on it. We say we "discovered" it because "we" didn't know it was there, and the aliens make fun of us by saying "what did they discover...we knew where we were." Yeah, never quite got that saying.

Well that is a little different but I guess you had to be there :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, you're not getting this are you? You think it's about ignorance while I'm trying to pay Americans a compliment. I'll tell you what us non Americans see...
What if when America was a British colony no one had the vision of independance? what if it stayed a British colony, we would have probably expanded it a bit, other colonisers would have come across so you would have been made up of colonies, I doubt they would have got on, probably Europe would have had it's wars right across the country instead of on Europe? what if slavery hadn't been abolished because it was all colonies? America would be like Africa. Or if you had pushed the British out but no one had stepped up and thought about independance so instead you had various factions, warlords, 'emperors' etc running the country, wars, invasions, lawlessness on a grand scale like China before the communists. You had none of this, you instead took people from all over the world and made them into one people. A huge feat never attempted before in any country.

Sure this a thread about people squabbling over differences because they come from different parts of your country but you don't see what we see which is a place where when you play your national anthem, everyone stands with their hand on their heart, everyone celebrates Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July. The American forces defend you, you are proud to be Americans, the differences you have are interesting, no one should be Soviet like but its the sameness about you that people see, the unity, the togetherness which could have easily been something else but you melded into a country of people proud to be what they are. If you don't like how you are seen, and no I don't talk for the world but I am more aware perhaps than many of public opinions around the world. Perhaps you should be pleased rather than taking it the wrong way that so many do actually admire America and it's people for what they've done.

The UK isn't the same as America, we are slowly splitting up, the Scottish government is preparing a referendum asking for support for a totally independent Scotland, they want to break away totally, have thier own military etc. If they do Wales will be next however the Shetland Isles, a very rich place will either stay with England, become independant itself or perhaps go to Norway. Wales will break away as well, then will be calls for Northern Ireland to join Eire which will be strongly resisted perhaps starting up the Troubles again. Cornwall will be next to clamour for independance. We aren't the only place this is happening in, it's happening in Spain and France, Belgium has two factions that live apart and would be glad to be rid of each other. Half of Europe has split into smaller countries. So enjoy your differences but also enjoy your 'sameness' that makes you strong.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve, you're not getting this are you? You think it's about ignorance while I'm trying to pay Americans a compliment. I'll tell you what us non Americans see...
What if when America was a British colony no one had the vision of independance? what if it stayed a British colony, we would have probably expanded it a bit, other colonisers would have come across so you would have been made up of colonies, I doubt they would have got on, probably Europe would have had it's wars right across the country instead of on Europe? what if slavery hadn't been abolished because it was all colonies? America would be like Africa. Or if you had pushed the British out but no one had stepped up and thought about independance so instead you had various factions, warlords, 'emperors' etc running the country, wars, invasions, lawlessness on a grand scale like China before the communists. You had none of this, you instead took people from all over the world and made them into one people. A huge feat never attempted before in any country.

Sure this a thread about people squabbling over differences because they come from different parts of your country but you don't see what we see which is a place where when you play your national anthem, everyone stands with their hand on their heart, everyone celebrates Thanksgiving and the Fourth of July. The American forces defend you, you are proud to be Americans, the differences you have are interesting, no one should be Soviet like but its the sameness about you that people see, the unity, the togetherness which could have easily been something else but you melded into a country of people proud to be what they are. If you don't like how you are seen, and no I don't talk for the world but I am more aware perhaps than many of public opinions around the world. Perhaps you should be pleased rather than taking it the wrong way that so many do actually admire America and it's people for what they've done.

The UK isn't the same as America, we are slowly splitting up, the Scottish government is preparing a referendum asking for support for a totally independent Scotland, they want to break away totally, have thier own military etc. If they do Wales will be next however the Shetland Isles, a very rich place will either stay with England, become independant itself or perhaps go to Norway. Wales will break away as well, then will be calls for Northern Ireland to join Eire which will be strongly resisted perhaps starting up the Troubles again. Cornwall will be next to clamour for independance. We aren't the only place this is happening in, it's happening in Spain and France, Belgium has two factions that live apart and would be glad to be rid of each other. Half of Europe has split into smaller countries. So enjoy your differences but also enjoy your 'sameness' that makes you strong.

Tez, with respect, perhaps you should speak for yourself. Not for the world. Not for non Americans. Certainly not for me.

I get that you're attempting to pay a compliment. Noted. I get it. I hear you. Now, try to stop telling me what I should do or how i should feel or how much you think I don't know and how much you do know. How about entertaining for just a moment that it could be you who isn't listening or understanding me and not the other way around.

Edit to add, before you tell me I'm mad or insulted, let me assure you I'm not. I only wonder what I've said or done that leads you to believe i know so little and that if I disagree with you it must only be because I don't understand.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, with respect, perhaps you should speak for yourself. Not for the world. Not for non Americans. Certainly not for me.

I get that you're attempting to pay a compliment. Noted. I get it. I hear you. Now, try to stop telling me what I should do or how i should feel or how much you think I don't know and how much you do know. How about entertaining for just a moment that it could be you who isn't listening or understanding me and not the other way around.

Oh Steve you read my first post wrong so when I try to explain my thoughts you then make it personal, that's not fair of you. I don't speak for the world and you know it, I'm not telling you what you should think and you know that too, you read me wrong and won't say so. I don't know why you have to make it personal and try to make out I'm in the wrong. You know as well as I do that America is marketed as an entity and that slum kids in South Africa for example don't care about your diversty, they just see America just as the rest of us do, there's American cars, films, companies, an American President, things that come out of your country are labeled as American so how can people not see american as a whole, as one entity. No one is saying you don't have your diversity, that you are all the same but you can't get away from the fact that America the brand is out there. What would you have us think? We have an America Air Force base down the road from here, I go there often should I not call it American then? Should I not call them my American colleagues but find out where they come from and call one my Californian colleague or my New York colleague? To the rest of the world you are Americans, get over it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Simply put, the men and women at the USAF base are Americans and should be called such, but it would be ignorant to presume that the airmen from California are the same as the airmen from new York.

I don't know how to say it more plainly and it's as true now as it was when I responded to your first post. I didnt misunderstand you when I responded the first time, and you make that more clear to me with every post. I'm really not trying to make it personal. I am not the one telling you that perhaps you should do this or that, nor am I suggesting that I am more knowledgeable and worldly than you. Both of those you have said to me multiple times.

I understand that you're trying to pay a compliment, but a compliment stemming from ignorance remains well intentioned ignorance. It's like congratulating a woman on her pregnancy only to find out she isn't pregnant. :) (that last is intended to be a joke)

Latest Discussions