Active shooter self defense

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Being a little prickly, aren't we?
It's a IG video, not a lecture or recorded seminar. IG is literally designed to carry short videos--thus my question.

As a general principle, it's not the most intellectually favorable practice to make opinions about content you're haven't and aren't willing to consume.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a IG video, not a lecture or recorded seminar. IG is literally designed to carry short videos--thus my question.

As a general principle, it's not the most intellectually favorable practice to make opinions about content you're haven't and aren't willing to consume.
Of course that's why you'd ask ;)

I had actually watched the videos (that's not what TLDW means). So:

The first drill relies on the assumption that the shooter will not react in any way after the first contact. If he retracts his arm, retreats or fights back by wrestling/striking the knife guy would be in serious danger. If one were to train this live (e.g. with a water gun) I'd expect there would be surprises. The "whoosh" sounds are a nice bonus.

I wouldn't know about the second one. Without context, it's not easy to imagine how you'd end up in a position where you have full control of the threat's upper body, but you'd need to kill him by cutting his arteries, and for some reason the gun is between his legs.

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Of course that's why you'd ask ;)

I had actually watched the videos (that's not what TLDW means). So:

The first drill relies on the assumption that the shooter will not react in any way after the first contact. If he retracts his arm, retreats or fights back by wrestling/striking the knife guy would be in serious danger. If one were to train this live (e.g. with a water gun) I'd expect there would be surprises. The "whoosh" sounds are a nice bonus.

I wouldn't know about the second one. Without context, it's not easy to imagine how you'd end up in a position where you have full control of the threat's upper body, but you'd need to kill him by cutting his arteries, and for some reason the gun is between his legs.
Well, the way they typically train this stuff in RBSD, whether you use knife, gun, hands, etc. is to prepare for follow-ups. You “take what is given.”

In in a gunfight, once typically isn’t enough. One of the things taught to deal with terrorists in situations like these, is to shoot them in the head twice, once on foot, once they hit the ground—just in case of an explosive vest.

The same applies to knives. You have to hit multiple vitals in succession.

They’re more training the need for follow ups and how to control on the ground, then a specific way it’ll go. In the video with handgun, the key thing is destroying their ability to fire the gun.

If you want to train using a real knife and a water gun, be my guest.

The video with the rifle is the second part of the instruction. I couldn’t find the rest. I won’t get into all the technique in writing—but what he’s teaching here, is basically what they’ve been teaching in the military for sentry take-downs with a knife since Fairbarn and Applegate.

The whoosh sounds are just exhaling, breathing control.

Last edited:

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, the way they typically train this stuff in RBSD, whether you use knife, gun, hands, etc. is to prepare for follow-ups. You “take what is given.”
By this, do you mean "continue taking pre-determined action (e.g. stabbing)" or "expect a reaction from the opponent and adapt to counter it"? If the latter, how do you train it?

If you want to train using a real knife and a water gun, be my guest.

As you may know, some RBSD guys use shock knives to test their training safely.

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
By this, do you mean "continue taking pre-determined action (e.g. stabbing)" or "expect a reaction from the opponent and adapt to counter it"? If the latter, how do you train it?

As you may know, some RBSD guys use shock knives to test their training safely.
The latter. It's just like in MMA, how you train combinations and set moves for chokes/holds.

They do, it is good for hitting it home that they've been "Stabbed," but a cut-up limb is a cut-up limb, and you cannot ethically train precisely how that will go physiologically. You can however, do organic medium testing, and see how a given knife will preform against tissue.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
The latter. It's just like in MMA, how you train combinations and set moves for chokes/holds.

They do, it is good for hitting it home that they've been "Stabbed," but a cut-up limb is a cut-up limb, and you cannot ethically train precisely how that will go physiologically. You can however, do organic medium testing, and see how a given knife will preform against tissue.
In MMA, training is assessed in live settings (sparring/competition). Students apply what they've learned under conditions where the opponent effectively resists and can move freely without pre-agreed timing. The drills are also designed to develop skills that work in that environment. That is the fundamental difference between combat sports and most RBSD training and the reason videos such as that one are met with skepticism. Do the Libre guys train live and if so how?

The best performing knife is harmless if it doesn't land (or lands superficially) and hitting moving targets is difficult. Thus, I would not simply assume that I'd be able to deliver an incapacitating blow in that situation if I never trained in an environment where the guy holding the gun is allowed to have reflexes.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You can ethically train with the bad guy moving around a bit though.

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In MMA, training is assessed in live settings (sparring/competition). Students apply what they've learned under conditions where the opponent effectively resists and can move freely without pre-agreed timing. The drills are also designed to develop skills that work in that environment. That is the fundamental difference between combat sports and most RBSD training and the reason videos such as that one are met with skepticism. Do the Libre guys train live and if so how?

The best performing knife is harmless if it doesn't land (or lands superficially) and hitting moving targets is difficult. Thus, I would not simply assume that I'd be able to deliver an incapacitating blow in that situation if I never trained in an environment where the guy holding the gun is allowed to have reflexes.
It's 3 ways, that I've seen.

They basically train to have an aggressor go through the motions, so that the defender can work the technique. The goal in these drills isn't so much for the defender to work through resistance, but to develop muscle memory and recongnize when it's time to draw and attack--because in the streets/field, it's about who gets the drop first, no dueling. They use foam knives hardened with tape, to simulate the blade sinking into tissue, so as to allow contact, and a fencing mask for face protection.

Another way they do that, is exchanging combinations like in boxing, no aiming for the face. There's also "the blender drill," simulating a multiple attacker scenario, in which the defender must keep them at bay, line them up, and rip their hands off his arms. From what I understand, doing well in this drill is one of the requirements to achieve instructor status in their system.

Once students have gotten use to that, both parties put on fencing masks, and go at with the foam knives.

Of course, as stated, you cannot ethically precisely replicate the trauma from a slash or stab in training. Once you've been tapped in the relevant vital areas, it's considered the equivalent of a KO.

One of the great things about systems like piper and libre, is that they take feedback from both recorded altercations, and students (especially LEO and military) that have tried their methods in the field, and refine accordingly.

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Not the best footage, but gives you a snapshot of both the sparring and drills.

This is basically the blender drill.

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree that cutting the tendons on the primary weapon bearing limb would be effective. The rest of it is just over-focus on "I should do something with this knife I have in my hand."
Meh, it's not necessarily "tendon cutting," though you could do that with a heavy and sharp enough blade. The important thing, is damaging the "operability" of the limb and getting the finger off the trigger.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
TLDW = "Too Long, Didn't Watch." It is a spinoff from TLDR, which means, "Too Long, Didn't Read."

Followed by two points, it's a format commonly used to summarize content such as text (TLDR) or video (TLDW).

Latest Discussions