Aaron Cook Signs up for US Open!!!!

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would love to see Steven fight at the open,especially to see him beat down everyone in his division from other countries on our own soil.
I can see him not wanting to fight any more than he has to though for the sake of not giving anything away and not getting injured.
I am pretty sure it is hard not to step up but instead stay smart and keep emotions at bay.
Why get involved with personal fights or whatever when he has always remained aloof not caring what anyone is doing but himself.
He is not the champion he is by not knowing what and when.
You may want and guess but he seems to know.
Someone is going to take him down,it is inevitable,when that time comes I hope its an American and he takes him by more than three points.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would love to see Steven fight at the open,especially to see him beat down everyone in his division from other countries on our own soil.

Nothing like national pride...

However, I think he's running scared from Aaron. Aaron is the future and Steven is the past. They both know it, so whether it's now or soon - Steven has to be thinking his days are ending...

I can see him not wanting to fight any more than he has to though for the sake of not giving anything away and not getting injured.

Surely it's better to compete fairly regularly? You can practice things in the dojang against the same people you always train with, but don't you need to actually battle test them sometime so you can evaluate and improve?

I understand his next big event is London 2012 (and I'm looking forward to seeing him compete there) but I'd have thought he'd have wanted to tune up his game rather than just go from the dojang to the Olympics.

I am pretty sure it is hard not to step up but instead stay smart and keep emotions at bay.

Really, you think he's actively resisting the urge to compete? His actions seem to show that he's not wanting to compete in anything but the best world-level events (maybe some arrogance that he's above that, he's proved his place).

Why get involved with personal fights or whatever when he has always remained aloof not caring what anyone is doing but himself.

This isn't a personal fight/vendetta though - it's just a competition? A chance to prove and improve oneself...

Someone is going to take him down,it is inevitable,when that time comes I hope its an American and he takes him by more than three points.

I hope it's by Aaron Cook (again) and I hope it's by a knockout (again) rather than just more than three points ;-)

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He is not the champion he is by not knowing what and when.
You may want and guess but he seems to know.

The Lopez "No Fight" strategy worked in the past because they did not have World Ranking points. The draw at the Olympics was random. Now they will be seeded using WTF World Ranking Points. This system rewards those who fight and penalize those who don't (see previous post). Steven will be seeded poorly because he has not and will not fight except for $ or the Olympics/Worlds. BTW he is not fighting at the World Championships.

What worked in the past is a bad strategy today. The Rabbit and the Hare Steven!!!! The World is passing you by!!!!!

He is putting all his eggs in the Olympic basket. If he does not medal or worse yet fail to qualify he will set back Olympic TKD in the USA. If he is not going to do everything that he can to put himself in the best situation to win he should give up his spot and let TJ Curry have his chance!!!!!

Steven should be fighting to get the best seed possible. Right now he is holding back hoping to hit a Home Run @ the Olympics. A Flawed strategy!!!!

Steven earn your stipend fight!!!! Its what we pay you for!!!!

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
18-32 Male Black Dan 1st / Poom 1st / Black Dan 9th 74.1 - 80.0 lbs (UNDER 80 KG) 22 ADJETEY, DAVID KONEY PENDING USA Utah
BERGERON, MARC-ANDRÉ PENDING Canada Quebec
BROEGGER, JACOB PENDING Denmark n/a
CHAN, REYNALD PENDING French Polynesia Tahiti
CHERNOUBI, ISSAM PENDING Morocco Morocco
COOK, AARON PENDING UK
DOUCARA, MAMEDY PENDING France n/a
ENNADIRI, AYYOUB PENDING Netherlands -
ENRIQUEZ, ALEJANDRO PENDING USA Michigan
FORD, LUKE G. CONFIRMED USA Florida
GILMORE, BENJAMIN WALTER CONFIRMED Canada Ontario
GUZMAN, EDGAR ARCADIO PENDING USA Arizona
HANSEN, MARK K PENDING Denmark
HARTMANN, BENJAMIN LLOYD PENDING Australia Queensland
MCDONALD, LANCE GORDON PENDING USA Texas
MICHAUD, SÉBASTIEN PENDING Canada Quebec
MOLLET, TOMMY PENDING Netherlands N/A
NA, ANIL KUMAR SR. PENDING India HARYANA
NEWMAN, MAURICIO DIAZ JR. PENDING USA Texas
RICHARDS, RUEBYN PENDING UK GB
SAWADOGO, YNOUSSA PENDING France n/a
WARBURTON, MARK PENDING Canada Ontario

Still No STEVEN LOPEZ!!!!!

Some big names in the division!!!!

Wake up Steven you are on the side of the TKD track sleeping and everyone is passing you!!!!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Zachary has I believe 38 in 18-32 under 68, so he will need to be at his very best to make it to the end.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well Zachary has I believe 38 in 18-32 under 68, so he will need to be at his very best to make it to the end.

Although the numbers are down! The quality is high....Kym and Charlie's Division are tough also...It is going to be fun to watch!!!!

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here is Zachary division for 18-32 he has 51 so far, even though the 14-17 only has 18 this si going to be a real test.

SPARRING 276 18-32 Male Black Dan 1st / Poom 1st / Black Dan 9th 63.1 - 68.0 lbs (UNDER 68 KG) 51 NA, VIKAS KUMAR III PENDING India HARYANA NASLUND, ALEX CHRISTOPHER PENDING USA Kentucky QIRJO, ATHANAS PENDING USA Texas RIVERA, JOSHUA J PENDING Puerto Rico N/A SAFSTROM, DANIEL PENDING Australia Victoria SAMOTSHOZO, WARDELL ERNEST PENDING USA Virginia SARR, JEAN-FRANÇOIS PENDING France n/a SHRESTHA, NIRANJAN PENDING Nepal Nepal SILVA, DIOGO ANDRÉ SILVESTRE DA PENDING Brazil RIO DE JENEIRO SMITH, TAVIS SAMUEL PENDING USA California SOHN, MINCHEOL PENDING USA Oklahoma STAMPER, MARTIN PENDING UK Greater Manchester STOKER-RAMOS, ZACHARY NATHANIEL PENDING USA Texas VALENZUELA, RODOLFO REYES JR. PENDING USA Florida VAN, HUNG PENDING USA Texas VASCUEZ RIVAS, BYRON RODRIGO PENDING El Salvador El Salvador VILLARROEL MACEDA, CHRISTIAN SR. PENDING Mexico PUEBLA WADE, ABUBACKRINE MBAYE CADEX PENDING Senegal WESTBROOK, STEPFON ARIES PENDING USA California WILLOUGHBY, DANA FRANCIS PENDING USA Florida YEUNG, TSZ WING

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess that Steven Lopez did not see the value in the US Open!!!

Aaron Cook and Sebastien Michaud are fighting. They did!!!!!!

This speaks volumes about the Lopez Clans commitment to TKD in the USA.

Every thing they do is for selfish reasons!!!!

The US Open is in Texas and Steven is not fighting!!!!!!WOW!!!!! Shameful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He should retire!!!!!

USA Taekwondo's 2011 U.S. Open will be held at the Austin Convention Center in Austin, Texas, Feb. 17-21. This year&#8217;s event marks the 20th annual installment of the event and features a star-studded field of over 1,000 athletes, including numerous world and Olympic medalists.

There will be 55 nations represented, including 29 national teams from Azerbaijan, Brazil, Cameroon, Congo, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Great Britain, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Ivory Coast, Martinique, Mexico, Morocco, Puerto Rico, Senegal, Serbia, Sweden, Tahiti and Uzbekistan. The U.S. contingent will represent 40 states.

&#8220;We are pleased to celebrate the 20th Anniversary edition of the U.S. Open in Austin, Texas,&#8221; said USAT CEO David Askinas. &#8220;Austin is not only the capital of Texas but will also be the capital of the taekwondo world from February 17-21, 2011. The City of Austin is a vibrant metropolis that is building its international reputation. Exciting nightlife, restaurants and a beautiful convention center make Austin a great destination for our U.S. Open participants. We will again have a world class field competing in the world&#8217;s premier open taekwondo competition. This is the arena for up-and-coming fighters to test their skills against World and Olympic champions. Our poomsae competition day will kick off the event and many world medalists will be on hand to showcase their talents. The 20th year of the US Open should prove to be the best one yet.&#8221;

For the second straight year, the World Taekwondo Federation has given the U.S. Open a G-2 rating. Only two other international opens have a grade that high.

Competition begins at 9:00 a.m. each day and discount ticket packages may be purchased clicking HERE > >

The event will utilize the LaJust Electronic Body Protectors as the scoring system for all black belt sparring divisions.

In addition, competition matches will be available for viewing on tape delay at www.dartfish.tv/usat.

Some of the marquee names competing in this year&#8217;s U.S. Open include:

Nia Abdallah (USA) - Female Welterweight

2007 World Championship bronze medalist
2004 Olympic silver medalist
Yasmina Aziez (FRA) &#8211; Female Flyweight

2009 World Championship bronze medalist

Aaron Cook (GBR) - Male Welterweight

2008 Olympian
2008 Junior World Champion

Gwladys Epangue (FRA) &#8211; Female Heavyweight

2009 World Championship gold medalist
Cheyenne Lewis (USA) &#8211; Female Flyweight

2010 World Junior Championship gold medalist

Sebastien Michaud (CAN) - Male Welterweight

2007 World Championship bronze medalist

Maxime Potvin (CAN) - Male Lightweight

Karine Sergerie (CAN) &#8211; Female Lightweight

2008 Olympic silver medalist

Sarah Stevenson (GBR) &#8211; Female Lightweight

2008 Olympic bronze medalist

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although the numbers are down! The quality is high....Kym and Charlie's Division are tough also...It is going to be fun to watch!!!!
Good luck to you guys. Sorry I can't be there but hopefully I will see you guy at Nationals or even qualifiers.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck to you guys. Sorry I can't be there but hopefully I will see you guy at Nationals or even qualifiers.

Hpefully so and of course you will be buying the first rounds right?
icon10.gif

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Steven Lopez has not fought in the US Open since 1998! Below is his US Open Record.

13 YEARS ago!!!! Way to support TKD in the USA!!!! First Family of TKD!!!! Yeah Right!!!!!

Disgraceful!!!!!

1996 US Open Feather
Chi-Hung Hsu TPE 1st
Wayne DeRosa USA 2nd
Steven Lopez USA 3rd
Milton Iwama BRA 3rd

1997 US Open Feather
Steven Lopez USA 1st
Raphael Park USA 2nd
Daren Lee USA 3rd
Jesper Roesen DEN 3rd

1998 US Open Feather
Steven Lopez USA 1st
Williams Cordova Santama MEX 2nd
Kevin McCullough USA 3rd
Guillermo Mosquera USA 3rd

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Steven Lopez has not fought in the US Open since 1998! Below is his US Open Record.

13 YEARS ago!!!! Way to support TKD in the USA!!!! First Family of TKD!!!! Yeah Right!!!!!

Disgraceful!!!!!

1996 US Open Feather
Chi-Hung Hsu TPE 1st
Wayne DeRosa USA 2nd
Steven Lopez USA 3rd
Milton Iwama BRA 3rd

1997 US Open Feather
Steven Lopez USA 1st
Raphael Park USA 2nd
Daren Lee USA 3rd
Jesper Roesen DEN 3rd

1998 US Open Feather
Steven Lopez USA 1st
Williams Cordova Santama MEX 2nd
Kevin McCullough USA 3rd
Guillermo Mosquera USA 3rd

Mark and Diana competed in the prior US Opens, I see they are not competing either nor is Charlotte Craig.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess that Steven Lopez did not see the value in the US Open!!!

Steven Lopez is the most accomplished Taekwondo competitor ever. Probably no one will be able to match what he did, at least not for a very long time, if ever. He really has nothing to prove. I am sure he knows about the point thing and apparently he is unconcerned about it affecting his draw. I don't think he really cares about brackets, seeding or draws. But I also think not being concerned about that sort of thing is part of the thing that makes him who he is.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well just got down with the rundown on entries. well over a 1,000's and Zachary has 73 in the 18-32 bracket 63-68 weight division and 32 in the 14-17, Going to be a couple of long days of competing. Caleb has 35 in the 14-17 under 45 weight class and Michael has 16 in the 12-13 heavy weight. I am so glad they have to really fight to even medal. I hate it when you go and only have a couple or no-one.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Steven Lopez is the most accomplished Taekwondo competitor ever. Probably no one will be able to match what he did, at least not for a very long time, if ever. He really has nothing to prove. I am sure he knows about the point thing and apparently he is unconcerned about it affecting his draw. I don't think he really cares about brackets, seeding or draws. But I also think not being concerned about that sort of thing is part of the thing that makes him who he is.

The Rabbit and the Hare!!!!

You always have something to prove!!!!

Jerry Rice played and trained his entire career like he had something to prove!!!!

Steven Lopez has accomplished allot and is a great fighter! I submit resting on his laurels is a bad strategy!!!

The Lopez's have never supported TKD in the USA. The Lopez's are for the Lopez's and that is it!!!!!

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Rabbit and the Hare!!!!

You always have something to prove!!!!

Jerry Rice played and trained his entire career like he had something to prove!!!!

Steven Lopez has accomplished allot and is a great fighter! I submit resting on his laurels is a bad strategy!!!

The Lopez's have never supported TKD in the USA. The Lopez's are for the Lopez's and that is it!!!!!
I said it before but again I would like to see all our American athletes fighting for the US at the open. I see plenty of missing elite fighters.
I still say that until you or your fighters have accomplished what Steven has you do not know whether his strategy is sound or not. So far he has been doing well with what he knows, at least better than what you think you know.
If he is scared of losing again as some seem to think, then yes he should not fight till he has to.

Latest Discussions