A true warrior

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebjj
So, then would you say that not all soldiers are warriors?

I have been an Army Soldier, currently an AF Reserve Sergeant, and so no, in my opinion, I would not. The guys and gals who are there for work, and there is nothing wrong with this at all, are not the tried and true warriors whether they are Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen or Marines. Can they do great things and are they mission critical, yes, the military wouldn't function without them but for most in the military it is just a job. Just like in law enforcement not everyone joined up to fight crime and save lives (job vs. career?).

My .02 only.... again.

Last edited:

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, then would you say that not all soldiers are warriors?

I have been an Army Soldier, currently an AF Reserve Sergeant, and so no, in my opinion, I would not. The guys and gals who are there for work, and there is nothing wrong with this at all, are not the tried and true warriors whether they are Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen or Marines. Can they do great things and are they mission critical, yes, the military wouldn't function without them but for most in the military it is just a job. Just like in law enforcement not everyone joined up to fight crime and save lives (job vs. career?).

My .02 only.... again.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To crush the enemy, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Daniel

Or of their men!! Or is the premise that only men can be warriors? :)

The description of someone as a warrior is generally accepted to mean someone who fights, goes to war etc so it could describe a cancer victim fighting cancer. We talk about fighting diseases.
Most soldiers I know I would describe as warriors, they've been to war and most have come back. They have fought enemies, gone through hardships, all the 'traditional' signs of a warrior.

Perhaps though it's a mindset? Rather than what one does for a living perhaps it describes the personality?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like the Warrior Creed some of the Bujinkan people talk about.

[FONT=verdana,Arial]Wherever I go,[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,Arial] everyone is a little bit safer because I am there. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,Arial]Wherever I am,[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,Arial] anyone in need has a friend. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,Arial] Whenever I return home,[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,Arial] everyone is happy I am there.[/FONT]

http://www.winjutsu.com/warrior-creed.html

Yeah, I like that one too. But, credit where it is due, that quote is from Robert L. Humphrey, an Veteran of Iwo Jima, and the proposer of the Dual Life Value Theory of philosophy. He was a huge influence on Jack Hoban, one of the most senior instructors in the US for the Bujinkan, who popularised it (winjutsu is Jacks site).

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In this age of fast this and fast that, the suburban myths of "everybody wins," and the mistaken idea by many that we are too modern, it's easy to forget what some English words really mean. Genuine warriors do still exist, but sorry, they are not all the people that we would like to stick with the label.

This is the definition of a warrior from the trusted Concise Oxford Dictionary that I keep on my desk: 1. a person experienced or distinguished in fighting in an armed force, tribe, etc. 2. (attrib) of or relating to a warrior. The word comes from Northern French werreior . Old French guerreior -- which both mean make war.

In that case here's a good example of a warrior:
The gentleman in the video being helped by The Mission Continues, a St. Louis-based non-profit, which led by this other warrior http://ericgreitens.com/resume.html, who is a member of our dojang.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions