A step forward or 2 back?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The article writer seems confused as to what is a veil and what isn't. The presenter is wearing a headscarf not a veil. A lot of Moslem women here wear headscarves. Othodox Jewish women wear wigs which serve the same purpose of hiding the hair.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The article writer seems confused as to what is a veil and what isn't. The presenter is wearing a headscarf not a veil. A lot of Moslem women here wear headscarves. Othodox Jewish women wear wigs which serve the same purpose of hiding the hair.

well, aside from the confusion abut the nomenclature of the garment

Is it progress to wear one or progress that the ban has been lifted.

(In conjunction with Sukerkin's post though, I am thinking it's a step back. Considering that even full coverage does not protect you from harassment anymore)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, aside from the confusion abut the nomenclature of the garment

Is it progress to wear one or progress that the ban has been lifted.

(In conjunction with Sukerkin's post though, I am thinking it's a step back. Considering that even full coverage does not protect you from harassment anymore)

Full coverage never protected a woman from harrassment or rape. Only a massive change in attitude will protect women in these countries. Until men stop thinking of women as possessions and of less value than themselves (and their herds and flocks) women will never be safe. Discussions about clothing worn by women are only the thin end of the wedge, discussions need first to be about allowing women rights and protecting them by law then we can talk about clothing because once women are seen as human beings in their own right what they wear will not change.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Full coverage never protected a woman from harrassment or rape. Only a massive change in attitude will protect women in these countries. Until men stop thinking of women as possessions and of less value than themselves (and their herds and flocks) women will never be safe. Discussions about clothing worn by women are only the thin end of the wedge, discussions need first to be about allowing women rights and protecting them by law then we can talk about clothing because once women are seen as human beings in their own right what they wear will not change.

Well, that goes without saying.

I just wondered - and it seems like we posted at the same time so I did not see the article about the increased harassment before hand - if wearing the covering was part of regained freedom or caving to the increasing violence (and that is what it boils down to) against women.

Of course, it does not help when the context gives the involved individuals an excuse to behave badly.

(on a side note, I think if I lived in Egypt I'd wear a head scarf, too, my step mom said after coming back from a trip to the pyramids that her hair got to feeling nasty in a really short time...practical reasoning behind traditional dress?)

oh, and the head scarf made passing head lines here, the harassment doesn't...
But considering that we have a group of men arguing whether rape is legitimate or not in order to place restrictions on women...you do have to wonder how far we still have to go before the cave disappears behind the bend.

Latest Discussions