A somewhat embarassing encounter between a student and instructor.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
On Monday I had an appointment with my new personal trainer and as me and my brother were following him to another machine, someone tapped me on my shoulder and asked what studio I went to. (I was wearing my school's shirt which said Red Dragon Karate in big bold letters on it.) I told him what city and instructor I was studying under and he told me that he went to Hacienda Heights. (The gym we both go to isnt either in Hacienda Heights or Glendora where either of us train which is interesting because both those cities have that gym.) I thought about it and then admitted that I didn't know what instructor taught that school. That was, until he said "I do."
I was then instantly embarrassed and did a rough bow saying "Well hello." like an idiot. I wasn't sure if I should've said "Hello Sensei or Shihan," because I remember that there are only 5 Shihans in the system (if i recall right) and once you get to a certain rank you're supposed to know all the studio owners and where they teach.
He smiled and laughed and said that he hasn't seen me around here and asked if i come here often or that i ws new. I told him that I started in March so then he clarified that I was new.
As I thought of his clarification, I then wondered if he was asking me if I was new to the gym or to karate. I thought he was talking about the gym but then my brother suggested that he sounded like I was talking about karate which I have been doing for years. But before I got to ask him what he meant, my personal trainer demanded my attention as in how he wanted me to do this certain machine. Before I could excuse myself, the Sensei began doing pull ups.
So still not knowing his name but not wanting to have him know that, when I went home I looked him up on my school's website.
http://reddragonkarate.com/hacienda.htm
I wanted to make sure this was him just in case it wasn't so I texted my instructor and he confirmed it. I hope I get to see him again tommrow when I have my next appointment and hopefully get to have another interesting conversation. :uhyeah:

He was cute too BTW. Sorry teenage girl thought. :ultracool

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moments like that are the ones you will tell your grandchildren or your students student some day.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hh3.jpg
is this the guy??,
m_shihan_sensei.jpg
or this guy
shihan_casamassa.jpg
maybe him
m_shihan_j.jpg
could be this guy
m_shihan_cos.jpg
wonder if it's him
m_shihan_moh.jpg
or this guy
now it's up to you,LOL just having some fun, no disrespect

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At least you now have met him and you can talk more the next time you see him. No worries!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Worse things could happen... I do so love caller ID, because I suck at identifying voices on the phone, and would not have realized it was our association president calling without it! Which would be bad, because I'm the association secretary....

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really that bad. You'd never met the guy before so how could you know who he was.

My instructor, Ken Pannell, was in a store once. A security guard noticed his martial arts t-shirt and started talking to him. Finding out that my instructor trained in Kali and Silat the guy says, "Oh yeah? That's cool. I trained in Kali and Silat for a couple of years with a guy named Ken Pannell. You ever heard of him?"

Guru Ken had never met this guy before. When he explained that he was, in fact, Ken Pannell, the security guy did some quick backpedaling, "Well, what I mean is that my roommate trained with you for a while and I trained with my roommate some." Soon after that the security guard had urgent business to attend to.

:rofl:

Mike

OP
Fiendlover

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
hh3.jpg
is this the guy??,
m_shihan_sensei.jpg
or this guy
shihan_casamassa.jpg
maybe him
m_shihan_j.jpg
could be this guy
m_shihan_cos.jpg
wonder if it's him
m_shihan_moh.jpg
or this guy
now it's up to you,LOL just having some fun, no disrespect
lol its the first guy i believe and the 3rd guy is my Shihan.

OP
Fiendlover

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really that bad. You'd never met the guy before so how could you know who he was.

My instructor, Ken Pannell, was in a store once. A security guard noticed his martial arts t-shirt and started talking to him. Finding out that my instructor trained in Kali and Silat the guy says, "Oh yeah? That's cool. I trained in Kali and Silat for a couple of years with a guy named Ken Pannell. You ever heard of him?"

Guru Ken had never met this guy before. When he explained that he was, in fact, Ken Pannell, the security guy did some quick backpedaling, "Well, what I mean is that my roommate trained with you for a while and I trained with my roommate some." Soon after that the security guard had urgent business to attend to.

:rofl:

Mike
:lool::lfao: oh that's a good one!