Sushi lovers, is this normal?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yesterday we tried a new restaurant in town called Cat. It's sushi but also fusion. I swear they had all kinds of Italian food like chicken marsala that you definitely wouldn't expect at a Japanese restaurant. Nice, modern decor, stainless steel chopsticks at the bar. Our chef was "J". My dh talked to him extensively about sushi and all the restaurants in the area, giving him all kinds of tips about which ones were the best. J was clearly born and raised in California but new to the Huntington Beach area. He seemed very friendly and appreciative of the conversation. When my husband talked about how good and how rare freshly grated wasabi is, J brought out 3 servings of fresh wasabi for us that I could have sworn he said was on the house. Also he spontaneously made us a small baked cod dish that he definitely told us was on the house. We were thinking what a great guy, he's really taking care of us!

When it came time to settle up the bill my dh looked it over and seemed hesitant but sent his credit card with the waiter. As we walked out he showed me the itemized bill which was a computer printout slip. The special rolls and the sashimi salad I had ordered were clearly printed on it but there were about 9 charges of unspecified 5 dollar items, we figured 2 of them were salmon sashimi that husband had ordered but the rest we could not explain. Dh had been clearly too embarassed to question it before he paid it. Maybe somebody had made an error adding up our bill and hit the 5 dollar key a few too many times? Maybe the waiter didn't know that our wasabis and cod were supposed to be on the house? And perhaps the small bowls of miso soup at the start of the meal weren't really complimentary -- the waiter never asked if we wanted them, just announced to us he was bringing them and we said okay, figuring they came with the sushi bar or something. So our bill was about 30 dollars more than it should have been if everything that we thought was free had been. Don't know what to think, did J con us? Or did the waiter take it upon himself to charge us for the wrong stuff?

Is the above type scenario a common way for sushi restaurants to handle business?

Well what's done is done but we will be more assertive next time. I look at it as a 30 dollar lesson in speaking up. We both really want to believe it was a simple misunderstanding and I don't think my dh would make an issue of it later during a return visit, but OTOH it would be nice to have an explanation. The food was good enough to go back for again, I was intrigued by some of the exotic sounding menu selections like a banana blossom salad with clams. The sashimi salad was a good flavor and quality for the 10 dollar charge, and I would have a hard time finding better in our area.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it happens again, bring up the erroneous charges. If it was a simple misunderstanding the bill should be adjusted. If you were charged for items you didn't order, the bill should be adjusted. Either way, if the bill does not match what you ordered you should point it out. You can still be polite about it, but to remain silent would only serve to enable further *errors*.

If this is common practice for the restaurant they will soon be losing customers no matter how good the food or atmosphere.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Jade on this one. A very similar thing happened to myself and a group of people about 12years ago. We brought it up to the manager...who took care of us. This just happened to be a sushi restaurant that had recently opened. Their service and atmosphere is superb and they must be doing something right...since they are still there.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've eaten at sushi restaurants all over the country and nothing like that has ever happened, so I'd assume that it is not standard practice. Sounds pretty shady to me. Anytime that there is an unnamed charge on your bill, its probably not a good thing. If the food was worth it, I'd give it another shot and if it happens again, take it to the manager.

On that note, I've never been charged for the Miso or Wasabi.....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely strange in having things unnamed on the bill. I would bring that up if it ever happens again anywhere. Now having said that I have been to plenty of Sushi places and well that bill can get crazy when we get to ordering so you really need to be sharp.
icon6.gif

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No it is not common in Sushi places. If you felt something was wrong you should have said something worse thing that could have happen is you could have saved $30.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, and IMO it doesn't matter whether it's a sushi place or any other restaurant. There's nothing wrong with saying to the waiter, "Excuse me, but would you explain to me what this charge is for?"

Also, I've never heard of being charged for anything that's just brought to you spontaneously at the beginning of the meal, like the pickle salad or bread. And "on the house" should mean "on the house." If it was an error, it would certainly be appropriate to mention it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never had that happen in a sushi restaurant, or any other kind. If you are offered something for no cost, then it's no cost - if they charged you, it's your error. I have occasionally been asked if I wanted soup or a salad, and asked if it was extra and turned it down (I generally ask - having found out the hard way that it was extra a few times) - but if they just bring it, there should be no charge.

If it were me, I would call the restaurant, speak to the manager, and calmly explain what happened. They will either fix it, or you'll know to never go back there again.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it were me, I would call the restaurant, speak to the manager, and calmly explain what happened. They will either fix it, or you'll know to never go back there again.

Unfortunately, I think it's too late for that now. When you're dealing with food you have to speak up right away. It would be like eating your whole meal and then complaining that it was overdone, or underdone, and expecting to not have to pay for it after you've eaten it. If you think you've been overcharged you have to speak up before paying the bill.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think it's too late for that now. When you're dealing with food you have to speak up right away. It would be like eating your whole meal and then complaining that it was overdone, or underdone, and expecting to not have to pay for it after you've eaten it. If you think you've been overcharged you have to speak up before paying the bill.

It probably is... although I have called the manager after the fact when I've received poor service; mischarges I discuss immediately. Still - if the manager values his customer base, he'll do something - it may not be adjust the bill, but it could be a free item on the next visit, an apology, something. If not, that provides incentive to eat elsewhere (or, at least, it would for me) - and if it happens enough, they'll either change their ways or go under. But if enough people just look confused and pay it, and the manager never knows.... then it'll never change, either, because the manager won't have a chance to change it.

OP
G

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am glad to see that the unspecified charges seem weird to others and it's not just me being an uncultured oaf:). I think the fear of embarassment is something I need to work on even more than my cross punch.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
usually if the waiter/ waitress puts down the Miso soup and salad without asking there's no charge.

Each sushi choice should have a corresponding entry on the bill - marked clearly.

if there were any discrepencies they need to be brought up to the manager immediately.

We had a restaurant by us where the wait staff would always tack on an extra entree, about 15 bucks, every time we went there. We'd bring it to their attention and would come back in about 30 seconds with a corrected bill making me think they had already made up a beefed up bill to make some extra money. If they were successful once a night X 4 or 5 nights that's a nice bit of change in their pocket.

Latest Discussions