A Revisit to USSD

alxnazario

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much. You gave me want I was looking for, guidance and wisdom for my own future. Not sure if I am going to teach there because to be quite honest I want to learn lots more and was use to learning 24 different DM's before proceeding to my next belt. So who knows what the future holds. I just what to be the best I can be. If I teach and I am not at my top level how can my students fare any better. The student should always surpass the Master. How else do we move forward into eternity?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you...much appreicated. I do have a concern though and it's regarding paying to learn to teach. Does any system charge a student to learn how to teach?

You aren't really paying to teach, you are paying to open up your own USSD franchise. This sort of setup can produce poorer results in the instructors.

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks...I am not afraid of finding another school. While I agree Karate is becoming more commercialized. I do enjoy what I have learned to date. And I know I shouldn't compare schools or styles but....when I was studing under an Ed Parker School, it took me two years to even think orange, which was fine to me. To progress there we only took group classes as far as I can remember while USSD offers private as well as group classes.

Here @ USSD I am already a purple belt in under one year, granted I learn fewer forms (not sure if that is a good or bad thing yet).

I noticed that while the same can be said of many students in my particular school I can honestly say these students are way better technically to other schools I have seen in different styles and even is USSD.

I guess I am at a cross roads and want to make sure that is USSD is charging to teach are other styles schools doing the same.

are you paying the 10k to learn to teach? if you are, i would say to run away. that's way too much. that's not including what you'll pay when you want to buy your own studio. true, some studios are charging to to learn to teach, but i doubt it's 10k. try and post on some other boards and see what other places charge.

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
You aren't really paying to teach, you are paying to open up your own USSD franchise. This sort of setup can produce poorer results in the instructors.

no, you are paying to learn how to teach. it's 10k to get into the academy. there's no guarantee that you'll get a school. schools are 250k for 50%.

ninjatruth

White Belt
Reaction score
no, you are paying to learn how to teach. it's 10k to get into the academy. there's no guarantee that you'll get a school. schools are 250k for 50%.

This is the sad truth. 10k-15k for the ussd academy and $250,000 for a school you can't own 100%? Thats reta%$#!! You could open a dojo for $20k-30k without all the crap and the profits going to fat cats who never step foot in your door to help you teach.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I paid to learn to teach. I can't put an exact dollar figure on it, but it was probably more than 10k. It was a graduate program in physical education. At one point I paid 3.5K to teach full time for free for 16 weeks. It's called student teaching. Every accredited teacher prep program does this. But, I did get a Teaching Certificate at the end. I think you have to put things in perspective.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
USSD sucks...at least the ones in so cal when I lived thre. Quit and ask for a refund. You can get out of any contract if you were stupid enough to sign one. Go find a boxing gym/TKD school (Not ATA)/BJJ school and be happy.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 new students, a father and son who started with me about three weeks ago. The father was a USSD student for almost 2 years. I asked him to show me what he learned and he was simply atrocious. My 13 yr old son kicks the heavy bag twice as hard as he does, and this guy outweighs my boy by almost 100 lbs.
Whats worse is that his son is progressing way faster because the father simply cannot grasp our concepts without reverting back to his USSD moves. I'm not giving up on the dad, he's just now learning to relax and breathe instead of yelling "HAH!" at every move and holding his breath in between.
One night the father asked me if I wanted to see more of the "moves" (SD techs) he learned at USSD, so I said sure, but he had to do them to my 13 yr old son who will give medium resistance. As you might have already guessed, nothing worked due to the non-compliance. I said "See? You can learn from every style out there, like what NOT to do" :).
By the way, our group pays month to month tuition, no contracts, no testing fees and once you reach black, you no longer have to pay tuition.

Franco

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go find a boxing gym/TKD school (Not ATA)/BJJ school and be happy.

Are you saying a person can walk into any and everyone of these schools in the world and find quality instruction? bs...Poor quality is across the board in ma schools.
But having said that I do agree with you on the ussd schools in general.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions