A rarely shown double knives set

Misanthropist

White Belt
Reaction score

This is not exactly the same as taught by Yip Man (the parts without footwork have been left out for example) but I think most if not all Sifus have changed the set slightly anyways (including Yip Man) and it is still very close.

Most lineages do not show this set openly at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are you looking for?
A critique? A review?

Are you one of the people in the video?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude but that is woeful.

Where is your stance mate ?
You should be in something of a semi crouch so that you will have enough resistance to withstand the heavy strikes of the pole.
The semi crouch position in the proper knife form also contains the necessary footwork to enable you to cover a large distance in order to help you close in on the pole holder.

I'm afraid against someone of decent experience both the pole and the knives will be simply knocked out of your hands , there is a good reason they are left at the end of most Wing Chun curriculums because by that time you have built up the requisite strength in the wrists , the elbow force required is present and the stance has been developed.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not a WC guy, but I do generally like watching the vids. Was this good technique? Can some of the WC guys here comment on the form? It seems pretty rough to me, and I'm a layman. Is there something I'm missing because I'd be a little wary showing this video to others if this was me.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not a WC guy, but I do generally like watching the vids. Was this good technique? Can some of the WC guys here comment on the form? It seems pretty rough to me, and I'm a layman. Is there something I'm missing because I'd be a little wary showing this video to others if this was me.

My Questions were leading.

I do not train in WC, yet there are things I have issues with here.

1) Stance work - lacking
2) Weapon position - going to cut himself bad. I have seen some other vids doing something similar and the motions were slightly different, but infinited safer.
3) The female training partner held the knives with intent and like she wanted to use them and wanted to do it well. He looked like they were props in his hands.
4) . . .

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

You are right mate it is rough , it's rough as guts in fact.
Some very questionable stuff in there that's likely to get you killed , and quite a few Wing Chun principles being violated into the bargain.

I mean you don't like to criticise peoples stuff that they put up on here probably with the the best of intentions , but geez you have to draw the line somewhere.

If we dissect the video we see very large gross movements that are uncharacteristic of Wing Chun , the movements should be compact , minimal and direct in nature.

The people in the video do not have a stance and their body does not move as a fully integrated unit , a quality that is even more crucial when you are handling weapons , especially the proper Wing Chun pole which is approx 3.6 metres long.

Most of the time they either seem to be leaning forward or leaning back these are Wing Chun no no's , how are you to have resistance against a heavy strike from a 3.6 metre pole .

Several times he's trying to deflect the pole with one knife , you won't get away with that against a heavy pole strike , you will have to use both knives to deflect and have your centre of gravity lowered in order for the pole not to crash through and cave your head in .

A couple of times he is running in to attack the girl holding the pole and the pole is actually inside his arms and up near his neck as he is closing in , a properly trained Wing Chun pole fighter can use anywhere along the length of the pole to attack with , not just the tip , so he would have got whacked straight in the neck with that one .
It's only luck and his partners control that stopped him getting clocked several times .

The empty hand stuff is just as bad , they seem to be infatuated with forearm strikes .
The one he does against the big dude coming in with the straight punch is just stupid and risky , if a freight train is coming at you , ya don't just stand there .
I also have a problem with him parrying and coming up the inside with the other arm , you do not want someones arm between your two arms .

What he should be doing is stepping out to the outside about 45 degrees with his centreline facing the other guy , in effect parrying big dudes punch at the same time as he steps to aid in the redirection and also avoid the strike.
He also should be punching on the outside of the guys arm as that will also help the parry in redirecting the force , it is a smaller safer movement , and a much more tighter defensive structure plus you end up with your arms on top of his which will help you trap his arms as you hit him some more .

Everything seems to be very big risky movements and using forearms in positions where they can't generate much power when a simple bloody palm strike or punch would be sufficient.

You would know as a BJJ guy that if that crappy forearm strike didn't stop you that you would simply wrap your arm around the back of his neck and guillotine choke him.

I don't know what lineage this is , but it seems to very flowery and lacking in the basics.

Heres some short videos from my old school as a point of difference , the thing you will notice is the stance and unified movement.

TSUI SEUNG TIN LINEAGE
KNIFE FORM

[video=youtube_share;Ijcjb6DKGco]http://youtu.be/Ijcjb6DKGco[/video]

POLE FORM

[video=youtube_share;V3CP0t9fAQ8]http://youtu.be/V3CP0t9fAQ8[/video]

BUTTERFLY KNIVES APPLICATIONS

[video=youtube_share;mmsqisFP6Do]http://youtu.be/mmsqisFP6Do[/video]

Kraideliz

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about the others, but I thought it was cool.

Latest Discussions