A question to all black belts.

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
How long did you have to train before you were awarded your BB?

How many days/hours a week were you training?

Just interested.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our school we have training two nights a week, 1 1/2 hours long at each class. It takes about five years or more to earn a student black belt and one more year of training before testing for a 1st degree.

Keep in mind training isn't only done in school. We all must practice on our own time. Prefer at least 5 hours for every class time. Many of us are guilty of not practicing on our own, myself included

A black belt is suppose to mean you have reach a high level in your training
Also when you get older( over 45 years old) the body slows down and it takes a little longer to warm-up. Within each groups of aging artists our level of fittness changes..........so an 50 year old black belt will not be the same as a 21 year old black belt. ......got older and slower......Aloha

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
Six years in total.

First four years 2-3 times a week 2 hours each lesson.

last two twice a week 2 hours each.

plus in last two year period to include 10-12 seminars @ 6 hours each.

Gary

:)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a BB yet (will be testing this fall, though). I've been training almost 5 years total (two arts). Only 4 in TKD though. When I studied TSD I was training anywhere from 4 to 6 days a week in the dojang. In TKD, I train 3 days a week, plus I assist in class twice a week. I also train at home from 2 to 5 hours a week (depending on my work schedule).

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just over 3 years. Normal in my school is 4 to 5 assuming minimum 2 days a week training. I trained an avarage of 4 days a week in school and every day out of school. Also, alot of my training was private instruction.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just once I'd like to see someone ask how much people had to learn and how well they had to execute the material before they earned a black belt. What's the rush? It's not a race.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The only battle is to improve yourself" as one of my instructors always used to say. It's no race.

S

Spook

dsp921 said:
Just once I'd like to see someone ask how much people had to learn and how well they had to execute the material before they earned a black belt. What's the rush? It's not a race.
Very true, at my school you can recieve a black belt in an average of 3 years. i took five to get mine because i didn't rush and took the time to further understand WC. That is still an ongoing proccess and will always be. Many students who have only taken three years to get their black belt, at my school, often need to spend a lot more time re-learning parts of the system than students who took their time through their training. Time to gain a black belt change form school to school, but taking the time to learn is universal.

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
It took me 4 years to obtain my Chodan, and even longer to get my Eedan.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
So why don't you start a thread and ask the question?

I don't think anyone here considers it a race.

Regards,

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
So why don't you start a thread and ask the question?

I don't think anyone here considers it a race.

Regards,
My point is only that all I ever see is people asking "how long to black belt?".
It's just one of those things that annoy me. It doesn't matter how long it takes, it only matters what you learn along the way. I find it distressing that the focus is the time and not the knowledge.

Moogong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It took 6 years of study for 1st degree. I practiced 4 to 5 days a week.

Pale Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
While I was coming up in gup ranks, I had my ribs almost crushed, my toes pulled apart til they bled, my groin kicked (more times then I can count) to the point where I thought it was sharing the same space as my stomach; Knocked out unconscious by Master George Dillman. Thrown on concrete floors; and much more. Most of my training was through different instructors within different styles..

OP
YouAgain

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
My point is only that all I ever see is people asking "how long to black belt?".
It's just one of those things that annoy me. It doesn't matter how long it takes, it only matters what you learn along the way. I find it distressing that the focus is the time and not the knowledge.
I was just asking the question, I have been training for 8 years and do not yet have it, for me its not a race, I would raither be an excellent Brown belt than a ****** black belt.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
8 years in one art, training 4 days a week, 2 hours a day in the first 5 years and two days a week for 2.5 hours a day for the last 3 years.

5 years in the another art, training 4 days a week, 2 hours a day for the whole time.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it took me just over 3 years training 5 days a week with my sensei....mostly private lessons....4 hours per class. a lot of blood, crying, bruising, sprains and pulled muscles, and worth every second of it.
i was thankful that he felt i was worth investing the time into.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
YouAgain said:
I was just asking the question, I have been training for 8 years and do not yet have it, for me its not a race, I would raither be an excellent Brown belt than a S****y black belt.
I wasn't necessarily aiming my comments at you, I was just venting in general.
Judging by your last comment I think you have the right attitude and I totally agree with what you say.

Latest Discussions