A question to all black belts.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question has been asked many times. It is not about time, but about the effort you put into the journey. Here is a similar lengthy thread: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348

I took 3 yrs. to recommended (deputy) black, then another six months to 1st dan, then another two years to test for 2nd dan. But after orange belt, I was going to eight classes-8 hrs.+ staying after extra) a week. TW

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have minimal time interval's between ranks which are usually are usually exceeded as most people don't train intesively. Minimal time from white to black is four years and eight months.

Most people average at seven-eight years. People who do their belt faster are those who are either talented or train more frequently (workshops, train at a few centers, attend black belt sessions).

I don't have my black belt yet, but as it seems, I should test for it in about a year (totalling at about 4 years).

~ Loki

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
LOL.... too long! JP I think my instructor made me stay in it the perfect amount of time, 4 and a half years. This was perfect for me, but not for every1. I'm in ITF taekwondo. Some unlike me have natural talent, some are worse than me. I think I'm somewhere in the middle. Cheers!

Becky

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Also when you get older( over 45 years old) the body slows down and it takes a little longer to warm-up. Within each groups of aging artists our level of fittness changes..........so an 50 year old black belt will not be the same as a 21 year old black belt. ......got older and slower......Aloha
... ah, but wiser, too!

- In answer to the original question: 4-7 years in my first dojo (Judo), 18 months to two years in my first McDojang, 4 years (average) in my Kenpo school. BTW, I don't mind if someone asks me how long to black belt. After my McDojang experience I would ask the same question. Why? Because if they answered a year and a half I would RUN, not walk from the school because their standards were probably very low. This depends of course, as other posters have noted, on how OFTEN you train. 2 classes a week with no practice in between is not the same as five classes a week with an hour or two of outside practice a day.

Latest Discussions