A question just out of curiosity

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Were you taught that there was only one way to tie your belt?

Which way do you tie the knot of your belt?

In trying to describe how the knot is tied, I came with the idea of the knot looking like an arrow. If it's tied (I believe) in a square knot, the arrow either points in this direction >, or this <. Or, do you tie the knot another way?

The photo is an example of one that points >.

I know this question isn't as important as some. I'm just curious.

Attachments

• $large_15.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 204

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

I was only taught one way but I'm under the impression that there are (may be) others.. but haven't bothered to investigate.

I once found a site that had about a dozen ways to lace/tie a pair of shoes, and a bunch of them looked pretty cool, but not enough for me to put the time into learning any of them

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I tie my belt the 'arrow' points to my left. That is the way I was taught to tie it a year ago and I haven't bothered to change it. I have seen others tie differently...but I like the simple approach.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seeen one primary method that most folks seem to use but I have also seen a second way which seems similar but they start in a different spot on their hip. It ends up about the same.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tie mine with the arrow pointing to my right.

But I know of at least 3 ways to tie a belt and I know of schools that even teach that different ranks tie belts different ways.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I asked about it once; for a while, there was a preference - when I had an embroidered belt with my name on it, I tied it so that my name came out right-side up. But around me, no one really cares, as far as I can tell, as long as it's tied neatly, and doesn't come untied every couple of minutes.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a specific way to tie our belts, based off how my master's master taught him.

Color belt student tie their knot with the the knot (or "arrow") pointing to the right. This is supposed to be correct (for us) because junior students stand to the right of senior students and a color belt should look to black belts for an example and guidance. Also, color belt students tie their belts by holding the center of their belt at their belly button and crossing the belt around in the back and then pulling the ends to the front again to tie them. This makes the belt look crossed in the back (like "two belts" instead of one straight line) and this is supposed to represent a "burden" on the back of the color belt as they work to wards black belt. That spot on their back is supposed to remind them of the hard work it took to get that belt, and the hard work they will need to continue give to get a black belt.

Then black belts do everything opposite. Their knot points towards the left because they are now a senior student. They should know be looking at the students on their left (the juniors) to set a good example and help them on their way to black belt.
And they tie their belt by holding one end at their left hip and wrapping the belt around so that it is one straight line all the way around their body (no cross in the back).

Also, all students are taught that the ends of the belt should be even. A balanced belt represents a balanced mind, body, etc... and thus a balanced student.
I have been in martial arts long enough to know that every school has their own "right way" and would never argue that mine is THE correct way, but I really like the symbolism we have and will continue that tradition with my students.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tie mine with the arrow pointing to my right.

But I know of at least 3 ways to tie a belt and I know of schools that even teach that different ranks tie belts different ways.

I've noticed 3 ways to tie the knot also. I've also seen schools that tie their belts differently for different rank. My friend teaches his BB's to tie their belts starting from the end. His gup ranks are taught to tie it starting in the center.

I was taught to tie it starting from the center with the knot pointing to the left >. I don't think there is a "right way," but I think that there should be uniformity within a school.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Like Iceman and Lauren I learned to tie the belt starting in the center (so it crosses in the back) as a white belt and then later to start at one end to eliminate the cross in the back as a black belt. My impression was that it's easier to teach beginners the start in the middle method, especially kids.

I've always had the knot facing to the right, but have never corrected students unless they end up with the "necktie" type knot so that one end of the belt is pointing downward and the other is pointing to the side.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.tigerstrike.com/tiebeltvideo.html
I was taught the first way, which I had never seen again since my first teacher back in 1991-1993, but I found that site recently and that took me back. The knot is standard, but note the way he wraps it around his body, rather than fold it in half and start with the halfway point beneath his navel. The fold in half way, which I teach my students, is the 2nd way he shows.

AoG

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There is an "official" way to tie the belts that is sent out on the newsletter when you join but in practice a lot of students tie their belt differently. The instructors don't care so much but you can tell the serious students by how neat their belts are tied versus the kids that are just there because their parents take them..

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Which way do you tie the knot of your belt?

In trying to describe how the knot is tied, I came with the idea of the knot looking like an arrow. If it's tied (I believe) in a square knot, the arrow either points in this direction >, or this <. Or, do you tie the knot another way?

The photo is an example of one that points >.

I know this question isn't as important as some. I'm just curious.
I tie mine in a square knot, as in the picture. Once, after tying my kids' ties, I tied it in a Windsor knot and got some funny looks.

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting...

We do it as follows: Both ends even, stripes (proof you have mastered a requirement for the rank) to the right, stars (academic persuite according to the teacher) to the left for juniors, Organization on the right name on the left on BB. All ranks are supposed to have them tied as one belt, no cross in the back. I tie mine via 'middle method' and still get it smooth looking. I never paid attention to what side the arrow points...I am assuming always to the same side. Maybe I need to pay attention....or I will tie myself in knots and make a mess of it ;) happens when I think too much about it.

Considering how the location of patches and stripes on the uniform is precisely reglemented...I am surprised we don't have that...nor did we have directions on how to tie the Poomse half-and-half belt we had as probationary BB......

Latest Discussions