new black belt in town

• Thread starter progressivetactics
  • Start date
P

progressivetactics

Hey, 500 posts! Yippee! I made it! woo hoo.

Ok, real question here- I was taught 2 ways to tie the karate belt.
The first way (common) was to hold the middle, and wrap around the body, and tie in front. This causes the belt to cross over in the back.

I was taught to start on 1 side (black belt method) and wrap around twice and tie in front. This was " a secret black belt way" of tieing without that cross over.

Has anyone heard this story as well? How do you tie it?

bb

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I place the center of my belt at my center and work it from there. Maybe the other way is how your "supposed" to do it, but I'm a creature of habbit. :asian:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Tempo Tess that is the way I was tought from the beginning....God Bless America

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use the first way but then I tuck my belt in before tieing therefore I donn't have and over lap.

R/

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Always used the second method. Very instinctual now. Have also gotten to the point where I can stand in front of someone and tie their belt for them. For a long time I couldn't.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why the secret way of course...it's all about fashion! The rest I'd tell ya but, uh well...then I might have to kill ya! :xtrmshock

Congratulations on going black:partyon: (in case you haven't heard...very slenderizing)

OP
G

Gary5000

I tie my belt the 1st way,
but congrats on the black!

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both,

When testing I start on one side, that way the belt does not touch the ground without me in it (a sign of respect for the belt/rank/person who promoted me).

I wrap from the middle and tuck underneath normally.

Then there is the Sigung way of tying it so that both of the ends tuck underneath the belt ... less things to grab when grappling.

Wrapping and not tucking is a little flatter if you are rolling on hard floors.

Then there are the 3 different knots I know.

Geez guys, I think I need a sash or obi now.

-Michael

OP
S

Shinzu

i also tie the first way and tuck. no overlap for me.

OP
P

progressivetactics

Thanks for the good feedback and congrats! I appreciate it.

bb

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
First, congrats on reaching 500 posts. :) It's nice to hit a marker like that.

Second, I learned to tie the belt the first way -- place the center of the belt in front, wrap both ends around back, to the front again, and tie it on the right side. I have to admit that it does feel a bit odd to me because of the cross in the back, but I just try to keep it as straight and flat as I can.

Aside: flatlander, I really like that avatar. That's a cool picture. :)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks dude. I've never tied a belt in my life. That avatar picture is tatooed on my arm. I found it online and said "perfect. that's exactly me."

OP
S

Shinzu

i'm a huge fan of the yin & yang myself. i saved the avitar to my files..... must be an awesome tattoo!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I like it. The Yin/Yang symbol on my right arm, with the flames crawling up over my shoulder right to the front point of the shoulder. I had plans to expand on it, but, you know, tatoos are expensive, and I can't seem to justify spending that money right now.

OP
S

Shinzu

the money doesn't bother me as much as the pain...LOL. you could say that i'm chicken....hee hee

OP
M

musashi

The studio I train at uses the first method for the colored belts and the second way for black belts only!

Congrats on the 500 mark!

Latest Discussions