A plea to everyone

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didnt really know where to put this thread but this spot seemed appropriate. If need be, please feel free to move it.

Yesterday afternoon a friend of mine was taken off life support after hitting a tree while driving under the influence. This is the second friend of mine that has been killed in the last year from alcohol related accidents.

I beg anyone that has influence over the youth in America to talk this over and tell them the dangers involved and the lives that it can ruin. Martial Arts instructors, as i know a lot of people on this board are, are placed in a prime position to talk to kids and tell them about this issue.

Local law enforcement agencies in my city are really cracking down by setting up check points all over the city (ive been stopped at two). It just doesnt seem like its enough.

So, if you all dont do it already please talk to your kids.

Thank you and sorry for the depressing thread.

B

KG, I'm very, very sorry to hear about your loss of two good friends. :(

Depressing or not, your message is a very important one and deserves to be circulated over and over again till everyone understands what's at stake.

I've lost cousins and neigbors who were victims of (others') drunk driving. Driving drunk is unconscionable. Too many kids do it before tehy're erally old enough to grasp what's at stake and how impaired they are while intoxicated, risking their own lives as well as others'.

I didnt really know where to put this thread but this spot seemed appropriate. If need be, please feel free to move it.

Yesterday afternoon a friend of mine was taken off life support after hitting a tree while driving under the influence. This is the second friend of mine that has been killed in the last year from alcohol related accidents.

I beg anyone that has influence over the youth in America to talk this over and tell them the dangers involved and the lives that it can ruin. Martial Arts instructors, as i know a lot of people on this board are, are placed in a prime position to talk to kids and tell them about this issue.

Local law enforcement agencies in my city are really cracking down by setting up check points all over the city (ive been stopped at two). It just doesnt seem like its enough.

So, if you all dont do it already please talk to your kids.

Thank you and sorry for the depressing thread.

B

Sorry for your loss.

Don't apologize - the more people spread this message, the more people will (potentially, at least) realize that drinking and driving is bad. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend.

This poem has come to me several times in email, with a plea that it be spread as widely as possible.
Death of an Innocent
I went to a party, Mom,
I remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom,
So I drank soda instead.
I really felt proud inside, Mom,
The way you said I would.
I didn't drink and drive, Mom,
Even though the others said I should.

I know I did the right thing, Mom,
I know you are always right.
Now the party is finally ending, Mom,
As everyone is driving out of sight.

As I got into my car, Mom,
I knew I'd get home in one piece.
Because of the way you raised me,
So responsible and sweet.

I started to drive away, Mom,
But as I pulled out into the road,
The other car didn't see me, Mom,
And hit me like a load.

As I lay there on the pavement, Mom,
I hear the policeman say,
"The other guy is drunk," Mom,
And now I'm the one who will pay.

I'm lying here dying, Mom...
I wish you'd get here soon.
How could this happen to me, Mom?
My life just burst like a balloon.

There is blood all around me, Mom,
And most of it is mine.
I hear the medic say, Mom,
I'll die in a short time.

I just wanted to tell you, Mom,
I swear I didn't drink.
It was the others, Mom.
The others didn't think.

He was probably at the same party as I.
The only difference is, he drank
And I will die.

Why do people drink, Mom?
It can ruin your whole life.
I'm feeling sharp pains now.
Pains just like a knife.

The guy who hit me is walking, Mom,
And I don't think it's fair.
I'm lying here dying
And all he can do is stare.

Tell my brother not to cry, Mom.
Tell Daddy to be brave.
And when I go to heaven, Mom,
Put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave.

Someone should have told him, Mom,
Not to drink and drive.
If only they had told him, Mom,
I would still be alive.

My breath is getting shorter, Mom.
I'm becoming very scared.
Please don't cry for me, Mom.
When I needed you,
you were always there.

I have one last question, Mom.
Before I say good bye.
I didn't drink and drive,
So why am I the one to die?

At this time of year, it's especially important that we all, adult or child, be reminded that drinking and driving do not mix.

A DUI charge ends up costing more than $15,000 by the time you figure in the fines, court fees, attorney, insurance impact, and so on. And that's not even considering unmeasurable costs should you kill someone.

And DUI is absolutely, 100% preventable. If you're not sure -- don't drive. If there's any possibility that you shouldn't be behind the wheel -- STAY OUT of the driver's seat. During the holiday season, many areas provide free cab rides for people who have over-celebrated.

One more note. Designated Driver doesn't mean the "drink the least"; it means DON'T DRINK.

I am so sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing this with us. It's an important message that we hear time after time, yet too many ignore the reality of it. This is a tragic loss that could have been avoided, my heart goes out to you and the family of this person.

Yes, this needs to be ingrained in our children before they run the risk, that and getting into a car with any driver who has had alcohol, no matter how *little*. Drinking affects everyone differently.

Thank you all for you sympathy and support. I will admit that I have made stupid mistakes in the past, the summer after my senior year in high school I put my car in to a ditch after drinking. Thankfully (and I thank God everyday) I didnt kill anyone or myself. After that I have learned my lesson and no longer get behind the wheel after Ive been drinking. I was one of the few lucky ones that walked away.

My other friend that passed was actually in the car with his best friend (the friend was driving) and was nearly ejected from the car. He was lucky to still be breather after the wreck and after a week stay was expected to make a recovery, a hard fought one, but recover none the less. He later died due to the severity of the injuries to hid brain.

Im going to talk to my old high school and grade school and see if I cant set up something to talk to kids about this. I dont want to lose anymore friends or family memebers (i havent lost any yet thankfully). I also plan to talk to my instructor and see if I cant set something up with him to talk to some of the older kids at out school. To many innocent lives are being lost to something that is completely preventable.

Again I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. God bless

B

Absolutely a very, very important thing that all kid's need to be aware of. Parents as well as we are in prime position to try and pass on good judgement. Martial arts instructors can also make a significant impact here as well.

KG06 sorry to here about your loss.
icon9.gif

My deep condolences and agreement with your stance on this.

I have lost several friends to the similar crime of driving/riding under the influence of drugs - with the severity of the drink driving laws in Britain, I suspect that we have pretty much reached a minimum level of offending and there are still far too many deaths caused this way.

I'm very sorry for your loss. This is not only an important lesson for kids, but for adults as well.

At this time of year, it's especially important that we all, adult or child, be reminded that drinking and driving do not mix.

A DUI charge ends up costing more than $15,000 by the time you figure in the fines, court fees, attorney, insurance impact, and so on. And that's not even considering unmeasurable costs should you kill someone.

And DUI is absolutely, 100% preventable. If you're not sure -- don't drive. If there's any possibility that you shouldn't be behind the wheel -- STAY OUT of the driver's seat. During the holiday season, many areas provide free cab rides for people who have over-celebrated.

One more note. Designated Driver doesn't mean the "drink the least"; it means DON'T DRINK.

GREAT POST...We LEO's try our best..Some people think it says something about their adulthood to admit they are too drunk to drive and need a ride home, not me...I have asked to be driven home a few times..Teens need to establish an agreement with their parents, if they are too drunk to drive to CALL HOME for a ride...Parents need to re-enforce that this is no harm no foul call..The consiquences for ANY party involved in the DUI accident are not good..Do you really want to remember the Christmas Season is when you killed someone in an accident cause you were too proud to admit that you were too drunk to drive???...Sorry rant over...

Sorry for your loss KG.

Here in Southern California, we have a radio personality named Tom Leykis. His show is sometimes funny, sometimes edgy and sometimes offensive. Every year around this time though, he does an hour or two where he puts people on the air who are drinking and driving. It's become kind of a controversial show because people feel like it encourages drunk driving. His intention is to just expose to the average listener how much it really goes on that we don't even realize. It's honestly pretty shocking.

Some people think it says something about their adulthood to admit they are too drunk to drive and need a ride home, not me...
Actually, it does say something about their adulthood and responsibility. It says that they ARE adult and responsible enough not to endanger themselves and everyone else on the road by staying out of the driver's seat.
I have asked to be driven home a few times..Teens need to establish an agreement with their parents, if they are too drunk to drive to CALL HOME for a ride...Parents need to re-enforce that this is no harm no foul call
I disagree very slightly. The call and pickup should be encouraged, and consequence free. There should be some discussion WHEN ALL PARTIES ARE CALM AND SOBER about drinking. Consequences may be discussed at that point.

Parents should set the right example from day one by themselves not drinking and driving.

The call and pickup should be encouraged, and consequence free. There should be some discussion WHEN ALL PARTIES ARE CALM AND SOBER about drinking. Consequences may be discussed at that point.

That's what I mean by no harm , no foul...Should have worded it different..

Parents should set the right example from day one by themselves not drinking and driving.

Amen Brother

I again thank everyone for the sympathy and support. The MA community is truely an amazing thing. I was thinking of maybe starting a website for this. One by the MA community and backed by it. I know there are tons out there that support this stance but one more would never hurt.

What do you think?

B

That's tragic about your two friends and I'm sorry to hear it.

My brother was an alcoholic and it is amazing that he didn't die from one of his many accidents while DUI. More importantly, I'm glad he never killed or seriously injured anyone else.

He did die though. He died during alcohol detox in an emergency room. He had cirrhosis of the liver from drinking.

KG06
I am sorry for your loss. It is my belief that all circumstances that we find ourselves in are teaching moments and that all death serves a purpose. It is tragic that your friend died from the results of his actions and it is blessed that he did not injure any others. There is no way of knowing how his death will affect others. In your case you are using it wisely to reinforce and strengthen your beliefs about drinking and driving and using to help spread the word. Others drove by the accident as it happened and immediately after and they have also been affected, the police and rescue personal, the hospital people and even those that will be involved in the funeral all have had or will have their lives touched and I pray positively. Your friends’ family and his friends and their families as well have had their lives touched. His death is tragic but sometimes that is what is needed for change. That his death serves a purpose does not make it any easier, does not make your anger, sadness, and guilt easier to deal with right now today, tomorrow it will matter a bit more and the day after a bit more.

Today is Thanksgiving, a day to give thanks to God for our blessings. I give thanks that you chose to give warning and example and encouragement to others, letting his death serve a purpose. You could have just as easily decided to go have a shot in memory of your lost comrades keeping the pain to yourself. I give thanks for your sharing this positive thread, which is not just a warning about drinking and driving but another example that life is dangerous and we never know when the last good by to our family and friends may be so we should appreciate every one. Again, I am sorry for your loss and the loss to your friends’ family and grateful for your sharing the loss.

God bless
Warmest Regards
Brian King

P.S. Lynne I am including you and your brother in my prayers as well. I hope for healing and forgiveness especially on this day. We have so much to be thankful for it is sometimes easy to forget or minimize. Thank you for sharing your loss as well.
God bless you.
Bri

I am sorry for your loss. Drunk driving is not ok, at all. It doesn't matter who it is. It doesn't matter what age they are either. Gee, I am no saint by anyone's standards. However, if I don't feel capable of driving because of prescription meds, being tired, whatever the reason I won't get behind the wheel.

Lynne, I too am sorry for your loss. It is just a bad deal all around. It is amazing how many people die quickly or kill themselves slowly via "The bottle." I have a neighbor whose liver is virtually non-existant. However, he will begin the day with a vodka tonic and end with a case of beer and a 5th of something down his gullet.

Back